Why become a member? ×

NEW Ibanez Grooveline!

Spoombung

Not sure how many they expect to sell at that price. I saw some at Birmingham Guitar Show and didn't understand where that price came from at all. The quality looks like it's there but putting out a new model at such a high price seems wrong without having a budget model available too. Ibanez might make some good top end stuff, but I don't think it'll sell at all.

Had no idea they would be charging so much for them.
Real shame too, as it'll just mean there'll be very limited take up and it'll vanish.

Smart move would be to price them similar to the similarly specced higher end SR Range which are silly value for money in my opinion and have them as a ergonomically sound slightly less dinky alternative to the SR and something a bit less metal and more manageable than the ATK or BTB basses.
I know Ibanez do make some fairly expensive high end kit, but people do not associate them with high end prices, for the same money you could have a MM Big Al, a very high end Fender, a nice Warwick, or a custom from many of the UK's based luthiers...

Oh well, two thumbs up for trying something a bit different - two thumbs down for poor marketing.
D. Must try harder.

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1151296' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:20 AM']It would be interesting to see how that lower horn would dig on your leg when playing sitting down, which is one of the problem that for instance a Bongo has, the lower horn on the Bongo really does dig and hurts, I should imagine the one on that new Ibanez to be worse.

[/quote]

it sits onyour lap a treat....promise you that....

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1151447' date='Mar 6 2011, 01:45 PM']It won't dig in your leg at all.

The Bongo is digging in because the leg curve is shallow and there is tendency to pull the bass backward which means you're trying to balance the bass on the horn - which will hurt, of course. That is impossible on the Grooveline because of the depth of the leg curve.[/quote]
yes, ive just brought one and its very well balanced standing and sitting,.....love it.....

[quote name='cocco' post='1151141' date='Mar 6 2011, 08:32 AM']....anyone else detecting a hint of Vigier around the horns?[/quote]

Er... No?
It's a pity, because Ibanez try so hard and release some (relatively) different basses (EDA, Anyone?)
Alas, they never quite seem to get it right often enough, and the genuinely good models tend to get ignored as a result. Their more conservative efforts are generally better regarded (ATK300/305/400, SR500) and are very good value.
They [i]have[/i] given us some good stuff in the past (Musicians/Roadsters/Icemen) and I hope they don't stop experimenting with designs.
It's still prettier/less anonymous than a Warwick Katana!

[quote name='eude' post='1153675' date='Mar 8 2011, 12:27 PM']I know Ibanez do make some fairly expensive high end kit, but people do not associate them with high end prices, for the same money you could have a MM Big Al, a very high end Fender, a nice Warwick, or a custom from many of the UK's based luthiers...[/quote]
Are you saying that Ibanez can't make a bass to the same standard? If not, why should they charge less?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1171747' date='Mar 22 2011, 08:50 AM']Are you saying that Ibanez can't make a bass to the same standard? If not, why should they charge less?[/quote]

Sorry, I'm not saying that they can't dude, just that they're not commonly associated at that price range, so releasing something so different at such a high price point will scare some folks off. For me, for my needs, if I had £1800 to spend on a bass, I would definitely go the custom route, but that's because I'm a bit of a pervert.

I personally really like Ibanez gear, it's some of the most easy playing and versatile kit out there, and like Lfalex, I'm glad that they keep trying new things.

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1171753' date='Mar 22 2011, 08:56 AM']Sorry, I'm not saying that they can't dude, just that they're not commonly associated at that price range, so releasing something so different at such a high price point will scare some folks off. For me, for my needs, if I had £1800 to spend on a bass, I would definitely go the custom route, but that's because I'm a bit of a pervert.

I personally really like Ibanez gear, it's some of the most easy playing and versatile kit out there, and like Lfalex, I'm glad that they keep trying new things.

Eude[/quote]
My bad.

Some of their higher end guitars (J-Custom range especially) sell at well over the price of the Grooveline, it's only natural they were going to start putting basses in that range eventually. It's interesting, Yamaha and now Ibanez have recently put out ranges of very expensive and very high quality basses and there seems to be ripples of discontent or unease you just don't see with similarly priced American instruments.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1171887' date='Mar 22 2011, 10:59 AM']My bad.

Some of their higher end guitars (J-Custom range especially) sell at well over the price of the Grooveline, it's only natural they were going to start putting basses in that range eventually. It's interesting, Yamaha and now Ibanez have recently put out ranges of very expensive and very high quality basses and there seems to be ripples of discontent or unease you just don't see with similarly priced American instruments.[/quote]

Yeah, it's purely down to it all being a bit new I think, but I really hope it pans out for them.
The Gerald Veasly sig model is crazy pricey, but having watched the "Bass Whisperer" Review on Youtube, you can see where the money has gone.
The prestige range of SR basses look incredible value too, if I wasn't a 33"er, I'd already have one of them :)

Eude

Ibanez have previously put out basses in this price range & higher. SoundGear 400x & 500x was & still are high end and the Gary Willis GWB 1005 fretless is @ £3500 (tho they make a cheapish version of it also).

When I got my SR1000, I had originally went to Sound Control for a Status bass (way back in 1990), had a shot of a few other basses before deciding I did want the Status & walked out with a SR1000 on order (I didn't want the pink one).

When I bought my old SR3006 I was quoted €1800 by a shop in Dublin and I'd have to pay for it first in order for them to get it in so I could check it out. I ended up buying it from the US for €1024 all in :)

Joking aside, though, the build quality was as good as anything else I've owned. I picked up a SR1300 a few months ago, just replaced the AFR pickups with EMGs (cheers Howard :) ) and, really, it's a far better bass than the money I've put into it.

I'd like to see the Grooveline be a success for them, really they're a lot better than the starter/metaller bass manufacturer they're often percieved as.

[quote name='The Fly' post='1153686' date='Mar 8 2011, 12:38 PM']Bottom horn looks like a stray peice from a jigsaw!![/quote]

That was my first thought. Perhaps if you buy the whole range they fit together to make a picture of a kitten or something.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1091192' date='Jan 16 2011, 11:12 AM']Have to say, the more I look at it, the more I like it. (I do think it's good! :))

Hope it doesn't weigh a ton.

J.[/quote]
having brought one,its about same weight as a stingray......very comfatable too....

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1171750' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:51 AM']That's a nice instrument alright. What are the pickups in it?[/quote]
There called CAP pickups,..compleatly new design,theres lots of different tones on the different settings,well impressed but in my mind priced 300 more than they should be.....looking at the comments sitting down looks a bit arkward with it,..promise you this,there not,its very comfatable,only negative part is getting the right stand,which ive now located.....so all in all im a happy chappy ....9/10

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1171750' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:51 AM']That's a nice instrument alright. What are the pickups in it?[/quote]
There called CAPP pickups, a new design,....the 2 pickups on mine are very crisp,nice lows and highs....very happy with mine.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='radansey' post='1089608' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:03 PM']Hmmm, not so sure. Should be interesting trying to find a hard-case for it (and a stand).[/quote]

well 3 monthes later on ibanez sent me a case plus a stand.....so....all sorted.....ta

• 2 months later...