Why become a member? ×

Prices!

Marvin

Anyone else noticed some prices have rocketed.

I've got a Fender Rumble 350 on its way to me. Before Christmas a lot of the well known online retailers were selling these weighty rocks for about £350. Now they're going for between £410 and £470ish. I've also noticed some of the Squier range of basses have seen a good £30 increase in price at some retailers.

Just blimey!

You may also notice that I don't look at expensive gear :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1077183' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:11 PM']Anyone else noticed some prices have rocketed.

I've got a Fender Rumble 350 on its way to me. Before Christmas a lot of the well known online retailers were selling these weighty rocks for about £350. Now they're going for between £410 and £470ish. I've also noticed some of the Squier range of basses have seen a good £30 increase in price at some retailers.

Just blimey!

You may also notice that I don't look at expensive gear :)[/quote]
That's most of the battle. Not looking at it. :)

Heard good things about the Rumble - let us know what it's like. :lol:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1077188' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:17 PM']That's most of the battle. Not looking at it. :)[/quote]

It's a terrible affliction :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1077188' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:17 PM']Heard good things about the Rumble - let us know what it's like. :lol:[/quote]

It'll be here on Friday (hopefully), I'll see if it makes the neighbourhood Rumble :D

There's a lot of price changes going on at the moment - fuel duty, VAT increase, Christmas, sales, end-of-sales. I suspect all this price movement creates some general confusion in people's minds and some retailers just use it as an excuse to hike prices. Some will get away with it, some won't.

[quote name='WalMan' post='1077232' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:57 PM']Always a good excuse to round up / add a bit more in the change :)[/quote]

They've been adding a bit more than the increase in VAT. The stuff I was looking at would have increased maybe no more than £5 to £15, but has increased £50+.

I know that January generally brings an increase in prices across the board (I got hit one year with building materials for an extension I was building) but, just but :)

Perhaps there will be some heavy discounting in the coming months? Or is that me being cynical?

Tell me about it!

Had my eye on a nice Fender 70s Reissue Jass Bass (mexican). Have been saving up for a while now, and was about 70 quid off the online prices of around £520. Looked at them again yetserday, and they're all around £612! I'm pretty sure most retailers were selling the Geddy Lee one for around £700 not too long ago, which is now at nearly £900 in the space of a few days!

Ah well, shouldn't complain to the good people at basschat - I just wanted to let off some steam about it!

Alex.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1078396' date='Jan 5 2011, 11:23 AM']I was reading somewhere yesterday that they reckon the VAT increase will be used as an excuse to put things up by around 8% .[/quote]

Fully expect that. I was living in Dublin when the currency changed from Irish Punt to the Euro. Everything was rounded up way past what it should have been, with the excuse that there would be too much confusion and hassle if prices ended in 58c, 23c, etc instead of 99c.

The Squier bass I was looking went up £50 before the VAT hike!
:)

I'll look for a used one...

... Anyone thinking of parting with their blue 50s classic vibe precision in a few months?
:)

EDIT: oh and Diesel on Monday 126.9p, now 136.9p
:lol:

Edited by bartelby

Our company's prices decreased end of August due to bad sales figures, then after a period of increased sales prices gone up an average of £2 on each meal on the menu.
Now cause of the VAT increase they are set to go up again soon. Especially as we are now going from a 2for£10 pub to Fayre and sqaure.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1078471' date='Jan 5 2011, 12:34 PM']EDIT: oh and Diesel on Monday 126.9p, now 136.9p
:)[/quote]
That'd be partly down to the fuel duty hike too. Daylight bastid robbery. :)
And my weekly rail season has gone up by nearly 7%.