Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

Here is my MIJ / MIM Fender Precision it's nothing special but I love this bass, it's battered scratched & dented (by it's previous owners) but it sounds and feels great. I posted this in the main bass forum,but as this is just for Precision's then it should be here. The best thing about this bass bar for the fact that looking after it isn't unnecessary, it's that all of the upgrades & the bass cost less than a new Squier Standard or CV Precision.

[IMG]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/ashrome/468e5bb7.jpg[/IMG]

My new Precision, I've owned a few but this is the first one that's kept my attention. It's a Mexican classic 50s, or it was. The covers are now off as they got in the way. What a bass! It's got an SPB-3 under that chrome too

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1335168718' post='1626453']

My new Precision, I've owned a few but this is the first one that's kept my attention. It's a Mexican classic 50s, or it was. The covers are now off as they got in the way. What a bass! It's got an SPB-3 under that chrome too
[/quote]
Beauty! A shame that the covers got in your way as it looks fantastic with them...

[quote name='Bootzy' timestamp='1335773211' post='1635597']
Lakland Bob Glaub with Darkstar pickup, Fender -68 and Fender P55 P/J Custom Shop.

[/quote]
I just imagined the BEST P-Bass possible:
Your PJ Custom on the right with DarkStar instead of the 'silly' original pickups.
By God, that would be so awesome... :o

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331389685' post='1572223']
[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

First posted this in Build Diaries, but I reckon out of 20,000-odd BassChatters, there must still be at least four or five who haven't seen this! :lol: And I feel 'Precisions' should be it's rightful home. Now read on:

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape but also the early 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile, imho... and I got very used to the 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate on my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? Well, finally I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm, woody and present, with that classic 'clicky' attack when played with a pick...a lot like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, Uncle Horrid! :D

[/quote] Wow , what a beautiful bass , Vintage White - can't beat it , lovely , nice one mate :)

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1335993071' post='1639334']
7.15lb see through blonde ash body

[/quote]

GAH! remove this ridiculous sticker on the neck plate, I beg you!
I hate those, they suggest anyone would be [b]stupid[/b] [b]enough to put a Fender Bass into a trash can[/b]!!! :o

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1335996125' post='1639413']
7.15lbs - surprised it hasn`t floated away :lol: Lovely bass though.
[/quote]

cheers lozz

yes the weight surprised me especially as its ash - maybe they allowed the wood to season

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1335998177' post='1639459']
GAH! remove this ridiculous sticker on the neck plate, I beg you!
I hate those, they suggest anyone would be [b]stupid[/b] [b]enough to put a Fender Bass into a trash can[/b]!!! :o
[/quote]

you are probably right about the neckplate

although i think 60 years of precision is something to be proud of and maybe even shout about

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335999094' post='1639475']
Nice, but let's see the headstock! :D
[/quote]

the headstock is the later 57 onwards

do not forget that this is a celebration of 60 years of p bass

its meant to include the best bits of the various basses

the reason the headstock changed from the tele style to the larger post 57 was to improve the neck and reduce deadspots