Why become a member? ×

Hit me with your rhythm stick

greyparrot

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1070331' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:18 PM']I'm quite supportive of the 'own interpretation' stance as long as it's not wildly outside the context of the song.

Bear in mind that when you go to see a live show by a band you like, the chances are they aren't going to be playing note for note the version on the recording you have of them.[/quote]

agreed.I think this is really interesting

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1070324' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:13 PM']oh ta can i ask i just noticed your comment on my peg cover it brought up that ad, ru in that band/ just saw the siggy ![/quote]

Yes mate, guilty as charged. :)

Going back to that track, nobody can play it like Chuck Rainey. His slap style is subtle, which is probably why Becker and Fagen never sussed he was using that technique.

That track has never been out of our set, but I still regard my version as an approximation. The lick preceding the second verse is genius.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1070342' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:29 PM']Yes mate, guilty as charged. :)

Going back to that track, nobody can play it like Chuck Rainey. His slap style is subtle, which is probably why Becker and Fagen never sussed he was using that technique.

That track has never been out of our set, but I still regard my version as an approximation. The lick preceding the second verse is genius.[/quote]

thats strange that my you tube version of peg brought up your advert! its only been on 2 days and had 250+ hits. Now if i was in your band i would not be slapping it all the way through as i did on my vid, but i dont think i would copy it note 4 note eighter because steely dan would not copy it note for note! i have heard loads of steely dan vids by steely dan.......everyone different. U must let me know when your in essex, would love to see it ;-)

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1070344' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:36 PM']thats strange that my you tube version of peg brought up your advert! its only been on 2 days and had 250+ hits. Now if i was in your band i would not be slapping it all the way through as i did on my vid, but i dont think i would copy it note 4 note eighter because steely dan would not copy it note for note! i have heard loads of steely dan vids by steely dan.......everyone different. U must let me know when your in essex, would love to see it ;-)[/quote]

A good take on it. :)

This has highlighted for me why lots of us are in more than one band from my sig below on this;

Vinyl Sleeves- do the songs as the record and we try and get them as close a possible although we are not a tribute to any act so we dont use the exact same gear etc, The guitards have les pauls,SG's, tele's and strats each so they have most angles covered I have P J and MM options. The biggest obsticle is having no keys player.

Escape- are a bluesy funky sort of thing and we do whatever we like to versions of songs that often are made known by someone else years after anyway so ours is just another version which gives me more choices of style and technique which sometimes changes from gig to gig.

Dave Barron- is a multi instrumentalist and very good but forgets how he played it last time, everytime, So I learn an approximation or as has been said earlier "Busk it" often with him saying he likes my version more now so lets put that on the record instead of the original.

If you came to all the different gigs more than once you would be hard pushed to tell what I had or hadnt changed in all 3 bands IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1070351' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:44 PM']I'll stick my neck out here and say... that line is too busy for the tune.

But it's IMO, and like you say the punters couldn't give two hoots. :)[/quote]

haha they never! it is busy, but i think it sounds funky, and alot of my playing does have that funky edge to it. When i do it on the upright its as near to the record version cos i think the upright sound is huge. My influence is jerry scheff I dont think you will ever see a more busy bassist than him, and he played for elvis. Of course i would not record like that, but live i just like to enjot meself, as long as they are, then im happy, to me thats what live music is about , enjoyment all round. :-)

and this is him and belive me this is tame by Jerrys standerds

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUwOS5LuUo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUwOS5LuUo[/url]

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070144' date='Dec 27 2010, 02:33 PM']Busking it is ok...but if you are going to gig this you have to nail the line exactly or better it.
As all the bass nerds at the back will think you can't play it.[/quote]

I'd say the OP has got that bass line pretty well nailed. It may not be note-for-note perfect to the original recording, but it's instantly recognisable and definitely in keeping with the spirit of the original. Who cares what the 'bass nerds at the back' think anyway? If they can do any better let them get their own band together and play live instead of air-guitar in their bedroom.

I'm sure we've all seen loads of live performances where even the original band doesn't play things note-for-note as on the original recording, so why should a cover band be any different?

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1070361' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:53 PM']haha they never! it is busy, but i think it sounds funky, and alot of my playing does have that funky edge to it. When i do it on the upright its as near to the record version cos i think the upright sound is huge. My influence is jerry scheff I dont think you will ever see a more busy bassist than him, and he played for elvis. Of course i would not record like that, but live i just like to enjot meself, as long as they are, then im happy, to me thats what live music is about , enjoyment all round. :-)

and this is him and belive me this is tame by Jerrys standerds

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUwOS5LuUo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUwOS5LuUo[/url][/quote]
I can see a big JS influence in your playing - like him, you are a pretty busy player (something I'm not - I just don't have the ability, for a start!). Jerry's Polk Salad Annie solo was the pinnacle for me. :-)

btw, did you know Jerry Scheff lives just over the border now?

I read an interview with Jerry somewhere in which he said that he was offered a chance to play as a session man with Elvis, which he obviously grabbed with both hands.

He turned up at the session where the first track to be laid down was [i]Burning Love[/i], and he was so keen to show Elvis what he could do that he deliberately played a wildly over-busy bassline at the first pass ... and was astonished when Elvis said "Yeh, that's fine, we'll go with that".

Or maybe he said "Uh-huh-huh".

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1070372' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:59 PM']I can see a big JS influence in your playing - like him, you are a pretty busy player (something I'm not - I just don't have the ability, for a start!). Jerry's Polk Salad Annie solo was the pinnacle for me. :-)

btw, did you know Jerry Scheff lives just over the border now?[/quote]

Yes, and hes still playing in the TCB band! they are still touring all over the world, that polk salad annie is awesome. Can you imagine the king standing wight in front of you while playing that solo amazin!

i recently did this song with a great band an elvis tribute arist (its on my you tube) and i was smiling like a chesire cat!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1070378' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:03 PM']I read an interview with Jerry somewhere in which he said that he was offered a chance to play as a session man with Elvis, which he obviously grabbed with both hands.

He turned up at the session where the first track to be laid down was [i]Burning Love[/i], and he was so keen to show Elvis what he could do that he deliberately played a wildly over-busy bassline at the first pass ... and was astonished when Elvis said "Yeh, that's fine, we'll go with that".

Or maybe he said "Uh-huh-huh".[/quote]

Yep Jerry is still a fantastic player as are the TCB band. Thats a funny story huh, it stayed, i mean with ronnie tutt on drums and jerry wow what a section!

i was watching this vid of people singing Anita classics.. how boring would it be, if they matched her note for note.? The parameters should be in place but there is room for maneuver... some interpretations you may not like but thats up to the bassist... Lallah is smoking by the way...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JuaW6Iw1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JuaW6Iw1I[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1070370' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:58 PM']I'd say the OP has got that bass line pretty well nailed. It may not be note-for-note perfect to the original recording, but it's instantly recognisable and definitely in keeping with the spirit of the original. Who cares what the 'bass nerds at the back' think anyway? If they can do any better let them get their own band together and play live instead of air-guitar in their bedroom.

I'm sure we've all seen loads of live performances where even the original band doesn't play things note-for-note as on the original recording, so why should a cover band be any different?[/quote]

Aw thanks mate! very kind of you to say ;-)

see now this one is pretty note for note, they used to beat me in jet black if i played a major 3rd if i should not have. Going on memory from that band i did this a few days back. World away from rytham stick i did last night, but no less a great song...... i think anyway.

as you can tell im having great fun posting vids now HAppy Jack showed me how!!

If people know my posts they will know I never like to cop a part..and who gives s stuff about the anoraks.. but this one track is different.
As Pete A says..it IS the song.

I don't think the part is close enough and that normally wouldn't matter at all as the feel is generally there..but if you are going to take on a iconic bassline, you have to make it really work. Jazz it up a bit or something as the one thing people will know about THIS song, is the bass part.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070416' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:37 PM']If people know my posts they will know I never like to cop a part..and who gives s stuff about the anoraks.. but this one track is different.
As Pete A says..it IS the song.

I don't think the part is close enough and that normally wouldn't matter at all as the feel is generally there..but if you are going to take on a iconic bassline, you have to make it really work. Jazz it up a bit or something as the one thing people will know about THIS song, is the bass part.[/quote]

ok let me tell you what happened here. I was on my way home from mums heard it on the radio and thought love it. I then got home played it through a couple of times and hit the record button. playing that for me, Its just a bit of fun.....nothing more :-) and you know what considering i spent no more than 15 mins on it, from never played it in my life to film, i think its pretty good! :-) and i also stick to my guns that i very much dought that bassist himeself will play it live note for note. your talking about copying a record. i just do not do that.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='bh2' post='1070463' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:15 PM']It's an iconic bass line... of course! It's one of Norman's.

I have never attempted to play it, it's sacred to me.[/quote]

but its a bass part to a song. How many vocalists would think ian durys singin in that song should be identical.....whatever instument you play it could apply to, play it enjoy it simples. ;-) heres my stament right. Music is fun, cool and should be played and enjoyed by the person doing it, then that will go over to the audience. Unless your an anorak.....you played that note wrong or your playing a 3rd and not the root......etc..........i bet if i played that same bass part in a band, not one punter will come up and say it was wrong or whatever, because it was not wrong just different, its what came to my brain at that time as i was playing it, and i enjoyed playing it for that moment! but if it was a tribute band, thats different, but then i have no disire to be in an Ian Dury tribute band to be honest! ;-)

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1070812' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:50 AM']Yeah but Ian Durys vocals aren't the part that make the song. Its the bassline that does.[/quote]

How boring would it be if everyone played the same bloody bassline 10000000 times.......

I like it when i see bass players playing variations, it gives you a chance to use some of the ideas and put it into your own versions

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1070826' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:59 AM']How boring would it be if everyone played the same bloody bassline 10000000 times.......

I like it when i see bass players playing variations, it gives you a chance to use some of the ideas and put it into your own versions[/quote]

I'm not saying everyone should play note for note versions, i was just disagreeing with the comment about Durys vocals.

On the other hand, bassist do seem to fall in i'd say 3 categories if they don't follow the originals.

Underplaying : Overplaying : And just plain getting it wrong.