Why become a member? ×

Hit me with your rhythm stick

greyparrot

last night when i got back i had an urge to play this line, so i did a crash course recording of it. Amazing bass line. a wee bit rushed here and there but i think its pretty ok.

[url="http://\"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd3m4zz-Mk\""]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd3m4zz-Mk[/url]

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1069932' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:27 AM']last night when i got back i had an urge to play this line, so i did a crash course recording of it. Amazing bass line. a wee bit rushed here and there but i think its pretty ok.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd3m4zz-Mk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccd3m4zz-Mk[/url][/quote]

Very nice... although you do know the verses are played an octave higher yeah ? :)

[quote name='far0n' post='1069989' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:03 AM']Very nice... although you do know the verses are played an octave higher yeah ? :)[/quote]

To be honest, i heard that on the radio on me way back from mums last night, and jujst sat there and played to what i thought sounded right. Its a cracker of a line if you can getthat groove going. I did play it on actave above but it sounded to harsh. I think the hardest thing in doing this, like the level 42 one i did is playing to a crappy you tube track that i can just make out the bass drum. Makes it all very hard to lock up with, stil lgreat for practise, and thank you fella :-)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070144' date='Dec 27 2010, 02:33 PM']Busking it is ok...but if you are going to gig this you have to nail the line exactly or better it.
As all the bass nerds at the back will think you can't play it.

There is no middle ground here, IMO.

Apart from that, I like it.[/quote]

haha well i tend to disagree here. Me personally gig loads of covers and do i copy a bass line note for note, never, i just learn the chords and play what i feel, unless of course i was in a tribute, which i was in a shadows tribute many moons ago, ( i have dance on on my you tube great shadows song)and had to learn all the bass parts note for note. But for general gigs and weddings, no one really knows, and if there is a bass nerd out there, thats fine, they can think what they like :-) but its my views as an individual. :-)

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1070191' date='Dec 27 2010, 03:31 PM']haha well i tend to disagree here. Me personally gig loads of covers and do i copy a bass line note for note, never, i just learn the chords and play what i feel, unless of course i was in a tribute, which i was in a shadows tribute many moons ago, ( i have dance on on my you tube great shadows song)and had to learn all the bass parts note for note. But for general gigs and weddings, no one really knows, and if there is a bass nerd out there, thats fine, they can think what they like :-) but its my views as an individual. :-)[/quote]

That's interesting. So if you were to play 'Good Times' by Chic you would busk it? :)

Just curious. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote]That\'s interesting. So if you were to play \'Good Times\' by Chic you would busk it? :)[/quote]

i do play good times live and i do change the line yes, here is a you tube of it.

i think this is really interesting. just how many guys copy note for note in general gigs, and how many learn the chords then play what they feel at the moment? i dont think one or the other is wrong, just personal taste.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070252' date='Dec 27 2010, 04:43 PM']Funnily enough, I never rip note for note, but with 'Rhythm stick' it has to be pretty much the exception.

It is going to be a bass feature song which everway you skin it..no way round that so you have to nail it dead, IMV.[/quote]

the only song i tryed to nail dead was the chinese way. And fever. Nope alwasy room for busking/changing bass lines (in my book) Say i was going to do that in a band, and the singer said i want it note for note i would do it, but other than the tribute band, i have never had anyone say they did not like a line i was making up on the fly.....but then i have never played this in a band! but i did post it on my FB and a buddy of mine now wants to do the song with no mention of changing it, and you know what, if asked to play this right now, it would be totally different from that one. I wonder if the blockheads played the songs note for note. I wonder if that bass player would copy his line note for note live? i dont sisagree to what you say, i just have my personal view point.

Mind you even in the chinese way cover i did, i think i changed the bridge chords to harmonise.

Edited by greyparrot

I would be happy enough with your version mate, Obviously like the others say if you were doing a tribute act thing people want to see it exact as the record but if you were down my local I would give you a warm welcome and applause for it done as you are doing it already. Theres plenty of bands doing terrible covers with basslines to a lesser standard than that, I should know Im in some of them! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1070282' date='Dec 27 2010, 05:22 PM']I would be happy enough with your version mate, Obviously like the others say if you were doing a tribute act thing people want to see it exact as the record but if you were down my local I would give you a warm welcome and applause for it done as you are doing it already. Theres plenty of bands doing terrible covers with basslines to a lesser standard than that, I should know Im in some of them! :)[/quote]

ha ha thats really funny mate! i think unless you are totally fookin it up ie wrong chords then whats the harm in doing your own version of a bass line. I honestly do not know one player that sticks to the record note 4 note.

another eg. does anyone really care?? (punter wise)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1070144' date='Dec 27 2010, 02:33 PM']Busking it is ok...but if you are going to gig this you have to nail the line exactly or better it.
As all the bass nerds at the back will think you can't play it.

There is no middle ground here, IMO.

Apart from that, I like it.[/quote]
Uhh...why is that then?.. He may be called Grey Parrot but it doesnt mean he has to play a line like one. :lol: . ive heard lots of classic bass lines playing differently or more simply. and there just as good..not suggesting GP's is.. but define "better it"....?

why would you want to hear the exact same bass line..i want to hear GP's expression of this groove....nothing worse than a bassist matching a bass line exactly...shouts nerd to me...everyone can add something different.. just my OP.. :)

tribute act or not, who would notice if you played a few notes differently? as long as the feel and rythm is there...there are some interpretations you like some you dont...but if you want a carbon copy hire a DJ :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1070297' date='Dec 27 2010, 05:42 PM']Uhh...why is that then?.. He may be called Grey Parrot but it doesnt mean he has to play a line like one. :) . ive heard lots of classic bass lines playing differently or more simply. and there just as good..not suggesting GP's is.. but define "better it"....?

why would you want to hear the exact same bass line..i want to hear GP's expression of this groove....nothing worse than a bassist matching a bass line exactly...shouts nerd to me...everyone can add something different.. just my OP.. :)

tribute act or not, who would notice if you played a few notes differently? as long as the feel and rythm is there...[/quote]

here here! and that stuck in my mind too, copy it or better it??? (and i really do have a grey parrot)

Edited by greyparrot

I think it depends on the particular song and the listener. If the bassline IS the song. ie. Good Times or Peaches etc, then I would expect the bassist to respect that and play it as recorded when performing it live.

I think Grey Parrot is a great player and knows his stuff, but Rhythm Stick is dominated by that bass part.

Just my opinion, folks. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1070321' date='Dec 27 2010, 06:10 PM']I think it depends on the particular song and the listener. If the bassline IS the song. ie. Good Times or Peaches etc, then I would expect the bassist to respect that and play it as recorded when performing it live.

I think Grey Parrot is a great player and knows his stuff, but Rhythm Stick is dominated by that bass part.

Just my opinion, folks. :)[/quote]

oh ta can i ask i just noticed your comment on my peg cover it brought up that ad, ru in that band/ just saw the siggy !