Why become a member? ×

help needed which jazz 5 ????

bolov

I am currently looking for a 5 string jazz type bass. current contenders are the fender deluxe 5 and the lakland 55-60 retro. or a second hand dj or jo 5. Has anyone bought a lakland since the takeover ?

really want a rw neck and like the block and binding on the lakland and fenders.

any ideas anyone ?

Edited by bolov

Sounds like you need to go and have a try of them all? Guitar Guitar have most, if not all in stock at the Birmingham store. The Laklands are real nice (All of them the model just depends on which one is closest to your personal choice) I cant imagine you getting on with the Fender if thats your Ray5 in your pic much more likely to enjoy one of the Laklands IMO.

Thats a tricky one as i havent played the new Fenders..Are you thinking new...The JO's are superb and compared to the older Fenders they are better IMO with a more focused B string with the 35' scale... I doubt the quality has changed since the Laky take over, as John Pirruccello of Hanson instruments was the former executive of Lakland anyway... a top player too..

thats really useful.. don't mind new or used. Liking the look of a sandberg .. especially with the ebony board.. no binding or blocks though. Where are sandberg made and does it have a nice c shaped neck? I love my stingray but need something I can use thats a little more subtle and easier to record with.

Who stocks sandberg in the uk ?

[quote name='bolov' post='1066235' date='Dec 21 2010, 10:28 PM']thats really useful.. don't mind new or used. Liking the look of a sandberg .. especially with the ebony board.. no binding or blocks though. Where are sandberg made and does it have a nice c shaped neck? I love my stingray but need something I can use thats a little more subtle and easier to record with.

Who stocks sandberg in the uk ?[/quote]

Sandberg are made in germany

here's the few UK stockists i know of :)

PMT
Bass Direct
Guitar Guitar

well don't get a fender. Most of the new ones seem to be crap quality. I paid £580 S/H for my old USA Deluxe V and still thought it was a tad much when the input socket had to be screwed back in every 10 seconds, the pre-amp was weak, the B string lacked warmth, it had little mid range and the neck socket was a bit too big for the neck. Beautiful looking bass though.

My vote would be on a Sandberg. If you find one on here they can go really cheep.

Lakland's are good build quality but i dont like the tone.

Sei, probably a bit rare and expensive but definately the best

Dan Lakin sold his company to his mate, who also happened to be an exec at Lakland and who also runs the Hanson Guitar company. If you buy a good used Lakland (which would be my recommendation) it will probably be a pre takeover instrument anyway.

I liked my first 5 string bass, an MM SR5, but when I moved on to the Lakland I realised how good a bass could feel and sound. It's just my opinion but I'd take a Lakland over a Fender any day.

Edit: There's a 55-01 in the For Sale section right now!

Edited by chris_b

Enough already !!!

I have just ordered a new 55-60 lakland with RW block and bound board (one of my pre requisites).

I have heard so many good things about the lakland and so many bad about the fenders it had to be done. You have however opened my eyes to sandberg ! Bit worried by their resale value but i never sell anything anyway ! As for the bongo ! not really a jazz is it ? but I do love my stingray5 which has lots of bark and growl.
Thanks again to all that posted.

i know i'm late with this one but i figured i would post anyway.

I have just ordered myself a Sandberg PM4 and cant wait for it. BUT..... if i had not ordered it that weekend i would have ended up walking out of guitar guitar in birmingham with a Lakland P bass Skyline. It was AMAZING and it played stunning. So good for you on buying a Lakland, they are just brilliant.

Maybe next time i will get one!

Well I picked it up from the courrier depot this morning and despite strict instructions from my wife I whipped it out for a quick noodle (the bass that is !!) It is beatifully made and has such a great action and fast neck I'm blown away. I haven't plugged it into an amp yet but sounds good on my amplitube iphone app.
I'll post a proper review when I've gigged it.

Thanks again all posters.. Greatly appreciated.