Why become a member? ×

New Aguilar Gear

skej21

Guest jbarks

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1081679' date='Jan 8 2011, 12:00 AM']Any word on price?[/quote]

Nope... emailed them asking for a UK street/list price and this is what I got:

[quote]Hello Josh,

I’m sorry for the late replay – we have been quite busy preparing for the NAMM show!

The Tone Hammer 500 will list for $949 but I am not sure what it will be selling for in the UK.

The amp will begin shipping in late March.

I’m sure right after the NAMM show (where we will meet with some of our UK dealers), the UK pricing will be available from your local dealer.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

Kind regards,
--Marco[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Tone Hammer has a Switching mode power supply (SMPS) - does that mean it'll run anywhere in the world without the need for step up/down transformers?

I also see they are now officially listed all over the place in the US at $699 - that's about £450 UK price (obviously taxes & stuff will whack this up though!).

[quote name='molan' post='1095097' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:19 PM']I see the Tone Hammer has a Switching mode power supply (SMPS) - does that mean it'll run anywhere in the world without the need for step up/down transformers?[/quote]

Very likely—even my AG500 could be switched without an external transformer

[quote name='molan' post='1095097' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:19 PM']I see the Tone Hammer has a Switching mode power supply (SMPS) - does that mean it'll run anywhere in the world without the need for step up/down transformers?[/quote]

It depends on how it's been designed. All the Markbass heads are SMPS and none of them can switch voltage easily.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1095433' date='Jan 19 2011, 06:02 PM']It depends on how it's been designed. All the Markbass heads are SMPS and none of them can switch voltage easily.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110054"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110054[/url]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1095451' date='Jan 19 2011, 06:23 PM']Exactly, take lid off, move jumpers! It's not exactly a switch on the back. And that's despite many other SMPS amps being able to handle any worldwide mains voltage and frequency without the player doing anything.[/quote]

Marketing ploy. It's not exactly the most difficult task in the world... but I bet the guys want you to send it back to Mark Bass so they can charge you for the priviledge. To be honest, if you were looking at importing a Mark Bass amp, it's not the sort of thing that should put you off is it?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1065451' date='Dec 21 2010, 10:28 AM']That is one stunning setup, aesthetically speaking.

I hope it sounds as good as I expect :) It sure looks damn cool.

To add to the new amps for 2011, see my thread near this. New Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.0![/quote]

Ha ha!! I knew it!! I suggested the Shuttle Max 9 to Genz Benz over on Talkbass when the Shuttle 9 came out. They swore they wouldn't make it. I wonder if they might give me one by way of a thank you?

Just had to add this to the list. Damn Aggy and their AMAZING gear!

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/new_products_cabinets_sl410.htm"]SL410[/url]

EDIT: Forgot to add the obligatory *DROOOOOOOOOOOL*

Edited by skej21

Yeah the SL410 looks great. I have a Bergantino AE 410 already so I don´t need it but I´m very interested in two SL 112 to go with my new GB Streamliner 600 that I pre ordered from BassDirect yesterday. But at 899€ each at Thomann I don´t think so :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI, I emailed The Gallery yesterday to see when the TH500 head is coming in. Alex said "mid April", so still best part of a month off. I was very impressed by the demo of this head at the Bass Show in Olympia - was the only thing I had GAS for in the entire show.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1172922' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:39 AM']Does it have a valve pre..?[/quote]
Nope - its esentially the Tone Hammer pedal (a Sansamp competitor) appended to a Class D 500W solid state amp

Specs:
Power Output:500 watts into 4 ohms, 250 watts into 8 ohms
Preamp Section: Solid State
Power Section: Class D
Transformer: Switching mode power supply (SMPS)
EQ Section:
Bass: +/- 17 dB @ 40 Hz
Mid Level: +/- 16 dB
Mid Frequency: 180 Hz – 1 kHz
Treble: +/- 14 dB @ 4 kHz
Drive Control: Fully adjustable, featuring Aguilar’s proprietary AGS(adaptive gain shaping) circuit.
Effects Loop: Series operation. Adds 6 dB of additional gain, making it useful for a broad range of effects units.
Inputs: One 1/4" input jack, compatible with all active and passive basses
Speaker Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs
Balanced Output: XLR balanced output with pre/post EQ and ground lift switch
Tuner output
Cooling:Two high quality whisper fans with thermal speed control
Dimensions: 10.75”W X 8.5”D X 2.75”H

yes...I did check...
shame, I have a TH pedal but am a bit ante all SS heads with regards the 'warmth' atm.
For example, people say the LMll is warm but I just don't think it is my version of warm.

I would say typically a harder sound even if you couple them with pillow speakers like Epis...IMO.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172915' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:31 AM']FYI, I emailed The Gallery yesterday to see when the TH500 head is coming in. Alex said "mid April", so still best part of a month off. I was very impressed by the demo of this head at the Bass Show in Olympia - was the only thing I had GAS for in the entire show.[/quote]

Curious to know what impressed you? I´m going to visit London in easter so I´d be thinking to visit BassGallery and give the Tonehammer 500 a try.

[quote name='ursus' post='1173322' date='Mar 23 2011, 02:29 PM']Curious to know what impressed you?[/quote]

Umm, all the usual stuff about amps what I like! Nice warm (not sterile) tone, nice overdrive ability, and weighs about the same as a hummingbird

Everything I would have liked in an Ornage Terror bass but in a much smaller and more versatile package, basically

Well I've dived in feet first and ordered an Aguilar TH500C head from GuitarGuitar which says it will get them in stock within 2 weeks. I've also ordered a Barefaced Compact with vintage silver cloth grill, so these two will comprise my 'rock'/non-DB rig.

I hope this puts an end to my rig search! It certainly ticks the boxes for me - lightweight, compact/manoeuvrable, powerful, clean-through-to-warmth, ability to overdrive (so don't need separate pedal) etc ... and it looks pretty cool too, which always helps :)

Was in the Bass Gallery today and they had SL112's on display. Alex said list price on them was £515.

[quote name='ursus' post='1096842' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:29 PM']Back to Aguilar. Thomann in Germany have the SL 112 for sale at 875€! Oh my..[/quote]

Edited by Platypus