Why become a member? ×

ACG Harlot type S

GreeneKing

I thought I'd take the opportunity to show the progress of my new bass being built by Alan in Moffat:

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Specs/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Specs/[/url]

I spent over 3 hours in Alan's workshop choosing body and headstock shapes and then going through his large selection of beautiful woods and choosing what I wanted, several times :)

The bass is a single cut design. It was Alan's previous work that caused me to fall for the single cut design, having never been a fan before. I initially chose a type R design with the top 'horn' cutting back towards the bridge. After some thought and just in time I changed my mind and went for the type S shown below.

The body is Hondo Mahogany faced back and front with Black Heart Sassafras. The 5 string fretted set neck is a 7 piece Macasser Ebony and Flame Sycamore laminate with a Macasser Ebony fretboard, headstock rear and cavity cover.

1st some wood:

Here's the body laminated and shaped out:

And here is the neck pocket routed:

The pickups and going to be Aaron Armstrong's MM and humbucker, with Alan's own frequency based pre-amp built by John East. There will be coil tap switches for both. This picture shows the pickup formers and Hipshot bridge in place.

I love this photo:

Stunning isn't it :huh:

Ebony wafer will produce the contrast strip.

The finish is going to be 60% gloss for the body and 20% for the neck.

I'm considering myself one very lucky customer.

Hey Peter,
I fondled your Harlots' body when I collected my Recurve from Alan recently! I was taken aback by how light it was and I have to say, the pictures do not do it justice! (no reflection on Alans photography :huh: )
I've had mine about a month now and i'm still finding new sounds from the preamp, they really are something special.

[Quote][i]I'm considering myself one very lucky customer[/i][Quote] [size=5]+1[/size] :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been waiting to see this one finsihed since you mentioned you wanted one in the car back from the bash, must thank you again for that.

Totaly stunning hope you like it, bet you can't wait to get your hands on it. Take it, its still in alans hands waiting to settle?

Oop if yours is done mine can't be far off :)

Is that 18v I spy didnt think you spec'd 18v alan and his new 18v ways.

Edited by Sugden

I thought I'd better add my ACG comments in the thread it really belongs to :)

There's only one thing in my bass life that's better than having a bass made by Alan and seeing photos of it, and that's actually having your mitts on it.

As of 11 am today I did just that.

The real thing is even better than I anticipated (and that's really something). The quality is peerless and the pre-amp is intuitive although I've only just started my sonic exploration.

Alan's neck shaping is amazing as the neck is shallow and assymetric, it's a real piece of art, that works. Upper fret access to the 24th is brilliant and the bass makes me want to learn to play it to a level that suits its quality and ability.

Absolutely dead chuffed Alan a big public thank you!

Hi Peter
It was a pleasure catching up with you again and I am really pleased you like the bass as that is the whole point of building them.
Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the bike and I hope you got to food before you got into more trouble.
Thanks again
Alan