Why become a member? ×

Learning by Ear.

LiamPodmore

Check out Motley Crues Too Fast For Love for rock - notably the title track Too fast For Love, and Public Enemy Number One. Nikki Sixx is the king of one-note basslines, makes very easy learning.

Also, punk - Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols. All the basslines are just root notes under the chords, nice n easy - was the album I learnt to play to, back in, ahem, 1981.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Mog' post='1046501' date='Dec 3 2010, 04:18 PM']anything by the ramones, blink 182 and greenday. system of a down is handy once you are tuned to c[/quote]

Tuning to C is fine, i play a 5 anyway. And thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll start working on them tomorrow i think.

Liam

Not exactly punk but I trained my ear learning earlier AC/DC numbers- Big Balls, TNT, a few of Highway to Hell and all of Back in Black.
Simple lines- lots of Es and As and Ds but listen out for lines where the bass plays a 'pedal' note ie where the guit chords change from, say, an A to a D but the bass rumbles along on an A without changing.
Doing this stuff taught me a lot about basic rock- Cliff Williams is one of those bass player's bass players

The Trooper by Iron Maiden is simple in theory as its only 4 notes most of the way through, G E D & C, you just need to get your right hand moving with those triplets

If you're looking for something slower then Nothing Else Matters by Metallica is quite straightforward

A lot of AC/DC is straight root notes, how about Let There be Rock?

Saxon, Ride Like the Wind

UFO, Doctor Doctor

Free, Wishing Well

Thin Lizzy, Don't Believe a Word

If you're looking for something a bit more modern. I'm trying to get the band to do Saturday Superhouse by Biffy Clyro

Most pop-punk songs, there's also quite a nice learning curve with them. You can start off with something like All The Small Things which has a nice simple bassline, only about 4-5 notes in the whole song IIRC then move on to stuff like Longview and Why Don't You Get a Job which are a bit more complex. A lot of pop-punk has very similar patterns on the fretboard too so you can start picking up intervals by thinking "this song sounds a bit like that song but in a different key, so if that song jumps from F to C and this chord change sounds similar but I'm in G, it might go to D." etc.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1047422' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:33 PM'] [/quote]
My God! Brendan Canty was so young AND skinny back then! (Only ever seen him play on Bob Mould's "Circle Of Friends" film as a point of reference.) Might have to go find some more Fugazi stuff!

Anyway, just to get back to the topic. "Gouge Away" & "Gigantic" by The Pixies are dead simple to learn by ear and great to play in case you haven't tried them already.