Why become a member? ×

Want bass to sound funkier

funky_numba

[quote name='funky_numba' post='1055639' date='Dec 12 2010, 03:06 AM']I'm totally lost! What's with the 12th fret harmonic thing??[/quote]
Read Lawrence's explanation above and take a look at the link in Jean Luc's post. If you're still struggling with intonation it might be worth hopping on a train to take up Lawrence's offer - it's one of those things that become obvious once you actually seen it done. :)

Or maybe you could check youtube for a video - the process is exactly the same for both bass and guitar.

bass frequencies such as your dull e string might be more the limitations of your computer's speakers more than anything else.
Try putting it through a decent amp. (which bit of glasgow are you in btw)

First and foremost you need to get your bass set up. that way it will be in tune all the way up and down the neck.
Then just practice. maybe you will need new strings, but try without for a bit first.

next does your bass look like this:
[url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/1209/1209-large.jpg"]http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/1209/1209-large.jpg[/url]
or similar.
if so it's modeled on a fender precision. Great basses, but will never sound quite like the basses in the clips.
precisions are amazing basses and capable of some great sounds, perfect for learning on.
Stick with the bass (properly set up) for now and then later when you're ready just upgrade to a new bass, theres little point changing pickups etc, that wont make you a better player!
p basses can sound plenty funky
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs[/url]

the other thing to try is as your sound goes through a computer try adding some eq to make it sound more like a bass. My computer has garageband that lets me simulate it going through a bass amp. There are probably similar cheap things for the PC

funky_numba. There seems to be a lot of utter crap on this thread. Instead of blaming it on an amp, bass, pickups, set up whatever, it is in reality all about the technique. And by this i don't just mean right hand, the left hand is just as important. On the right hand you want to really push hard on the strings to make sure your pushing the strings for all that they can give, then your left hand needs to be firm to let the note ring out propperly.

Someone mentioned more treble and new strings for a funk sound? Really? Because if you look at chic/ sister sledge/ E.W.F, the strings they use are either pretty dead or flatwounds. This gives a really mellow tone which i think favours the low mids.

I think at the end of the day, you should try to find a proffessional who can talk you through all this, and hopefully give advice on how to set up a bass too.

I think once you have the fundamentals you can then explore how upgrading basses, pickups, and strings may help.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1058234' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:48 AM']funky_numba. There seems to be a lot of utter crap on this thread. Instead of blaming it on an amp, bass, pickups, set up whatever, it is in reality all about the technique. And by this i don't just mean right hand, the left hand is just as important. On the right hand you want to really push hard on the strings to make sure your pushing the strings for all that they can give, then your left hand needs to be firm to let the note ring out propperly.

Someone mentioned more treble and new strings for a funk sound? Really? Because if you look at chic/ sister sledge/ E.W.F, the strings they use are either pretty dead or flatwounds. This gives a really mellow tone which i think favours the low mids.

I think at the end of the day, you should try to find a proffessional who can talk you through all this, and hopefully give advice on how to set up a bass too.

I think once you have the fundamentals you can then explore how upgrading basses, pickups, and strings may help.[/quote]

+1 to apart from the pushing the strings hard, I find it easiest to get a funky sound when I'm just tickling the strings.

what sort of funk sound do you want?

you going for the 60s sound or the 70s?

I'd get yourself some DR low riders, but most importantly check your technique!!!

[quote name='Plux_the_Duck' post='1058249' date='Dec 14 2010, 10:01 AM']+1 to apart from the pushing the strings hard, I find it easiest to get a funky sound when I'm just tickling the strings.

what sort of funk sound do you want?

you going for the 60s sound or the 70s?

I'd get yourself some DR low riders, but most importantly check your technique!!![/quote]

I would love to see Jamerson "tickling" strings.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1043639' date='Dec 1 2010, 12:07 PM']IMO playing near the bridge doesn't give you more treble, it just cuts some bass to give you more of a mid-punch than a low-thump.[/quote]
It shifts the balance between fundamental and harmonics towards the harmonics.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1058234' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:48 AM']funky_numba. There seems to be a lot of utter crap on this thread. Instead of blaming it on an amp, bass, pickups, set up whatever, it is in reality all about the technique. And by this i don't just mean right hand, the left hand is just as important. On the right hand you want to really push hard on the strings to make sure your pushing the strings for all that they can give, then your left hand needs to be firm to let the note ring out propperly.

I think once you have the fundamentals you can then explore how upgrading basses, pickups, and strings may help.[/quote]

Treble and new strings here and it's funky as hell..

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1058234' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:48 AM']funky_numba. There seems to be a lot of utter crap on this thread.[/quote]
Not sure that I would've put it quite that way!! :)

I think the confusion comes from Paul's (funky numba) misuse of the word 'funky'.
He is obviously using the word to refer to the [b]sound[/b] of the bass. 'Funky' has nothing to do with this.

Paul, you can sound funky on virtually any bass, whether it has brand new 'Super Zing' strings or 120 year old 'Extreme Flatos' - It's all in the fingers.

If however, all you want is a bright zingy sound with lots of sustain, then, that will be down to your bass, how it is set up and strings etc.

'Funky' is a style, not a sound...at least in my book. :)

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1058234' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:48 AM']funky_numba. There seems to be a lot of utter crap on this thread. Instead of blaming it on an amp, bass, pickups, set up whatever, it is in reality all about the technique. And by this i don't just mean right hand, the left hand is just as important. On the right hand you want to really push hard on the strings to make sure your pushing the strings for all that they can give, then your left hand needs to be firm to let the note ring out propperly.[/quote]

In fairness, myself and several others have also written on the thread advocating this point of view.

I'd be inclined to agree with you that playing the strings quite hard gives a good sound for this kind of music; in my opinion, a lightweight/low energy touch doesn't really cut it for the most part. The lightweight touch seems to push the bassline into a more muso/jazz fusion terroitory, which is really a different thing altogether.

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

I agree that funk is a feel but, when you say the "sound of funk", surely you are refering to the origional recordings of origional funk lines. Thats what i would do if i was told to play in the style and sound of funk in a session, and im sure mr pratt wouldn't use them strings on a real session. Of course im generalising, there are some situations where new strings would be perfect for the line, but thats not often what was done in the 60's and 70's.

My veiw on whats crap is people thinking you need a good bass to sound good, rubbish!