Why become a member? ×

Who influences your tone?

Cat Burrito

[quote name='Faithless' post='1032978' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:00 PM']I didn't actually got your question/point..

Anyway, what I meant was that it is not the bass/amp/pedal/whatever makes you sound like someone - what actually makes you sound like 'player x' is analyzing that player's playing and imitating his phrasing. To make it short, it's in your hands, not in your amp or bass..

But, then, as I assume, people here are discussing the 'gear way'..[/quote]
Um, I'm a bit confused now, I thought this thread was about "Who influences your tone"?

Anyone is going to have a damn hard time trying to sound like Jaco with my tone. The would be no definition in the sound for that hyperactive kind of style. I wouldn't be able to sound like me on Jaco type rigs either. Most players have a style, phrasing, method, attitude and approach. You choose a soundscape that fits that, and hopefully it will be a sound that inspires the player. It's all in the feeling it creates.

I doubt anyone would dance to a reggae bass with Jaco's tone, and I doubt Jaco would have got much attention if he used a reggae tone, it would be mush. I have no real interest in playing fast, except to prove to myself I can, I am a man after all :) So that's where my thing comes from, I want to make people dance, big fat pumpin bass doing the rhythm and harmony. I doubt Hadrien Feraud cares a sh*t if people dance, so he has a rinky dink sort of sound with a fast attack and decay, so you can clearly hear all that sheets of notes stuff he likes. A lot of it is in the fingers, but your personal vibe and expression also requires the right gear and tone. It not hard to understand is it?

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1032374' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:03 AM']Here's a question for the tone masters - even when you're admitting that you sound like yourself, how much variation do you find within your playing and gear?

I had an odd weekend of seeming to play everything I own; and then spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make it all sound the same, instead of simply enjoying the different basses and set-ups for what they are.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right or wrong tracks with that one (possibly a bit of both!) but it made for an annoying weekend, given my usual obsessive compulsive tendencies.[/quote]

I only really have the one setup, I may use an active jazz on occasion but find I lose diffinition in the lows.
Usually I change my playing style, example; softer the line the closer to the neck and softer I play, harder, the opposite. Though some basslines in the band I play softer but close to the bridge to still get the mid cut. We also cover beatles-come together, and through no EQing I get a similar sound by playing right at the neck and with practically the side of my fingers rather than the tips.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with the others in that I although I like many players tone I never really tried to sound like anyone in particular. I just try to get something I'm happy with. That eternal quest for your pefect tone is something we all strive towards. I must be getting there as at our last gig I was getting plenty of good comments about my sound and how it was sitting in the mix.

For me it's been more of a case of creating and devoping my style of playing, which will in the long run help with your tone.

In the past I've tried to replicate the tones of Marcus Miller, James Jamerson, Billy Sheehan, Jaco, Anthony Jackson, Jeff Ament, Victor Wooten (and probably others I've forgotten), not in a band situation but to get a feel for their techniques and note choices. Some of that has probably carried over into my core sound but it's such a mish mash of influences and has evolved so much over the years it's probably irrelevant now.

Now it's the band or the song that defines what tone I go for, if there's space in the mix I'll generally choose something a bit more hifi but if I'm competing with a few guitars and keyboards it's more about the low end thump. But not always.

At home I'm more into getting that classic Fender P sound, classic Fender Jazz sound or Musciman tone and exploring the subtleties of that. Basically getting the best sound or sounds out of a particular bass or amp combination. I find it inspires me to play different phrasing and styles than if I just had one sound. Maybe I just haven't found "my sound" yet!

I'd say I like the tight bottom and smooth highs Stuart Zender used to get with his Warwicks, and the midrange growl Cass Lewis got with his Stingrays and G&L basses.

Do I achieve it exactly how I like it? Not quite, I'm happy with my lows and mids, but my highs are a touch harsh. Not sure if that's my bass or the rig, but I know I dont have the cash to start throwing money at it to resolve it. Who needs highs anyway, eh? :)

I've gone through phases. But now I've come to the conclusion that If I'm playing bass I should stay away from all that trebly stuff and stick to the low end of the spectrum. The kind of tone I'm aiming for is the bass sound on Drive thru Booty by Freak Power (if you're a bass player and you haven't got this album go out and get it now!) I love Jesse Graham's aka the Bass Cadet's sound and feel. The bass is the soul of that album and wouldn't be half as good without his DEEP sound and fluid funky playing.