Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Yamaha!

4-string-thing

I'm quite a happy bunny, as I've just collected an ebay impulse buy, a Yamaha BB 4GA II.

A 1988, quilted Maple (?) turquoise see-thru, twin humbuckers and active electronics. In very good condition, as new, apart from the gold plated hardware looking a bit worn.

Just plugged in and tried it and it plays and sounds great, will go down a treat with my 80's glam-metal band!

Anyone got any thoughts on these as regards what I should have paid, any pitfalls etc?

Turns out the guy is a mate of basschatter Peteacademy's so I reckon it will probably turn out to be a good deal.

Only drawback is, I may have to move something on to appease the other half....

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1031943' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:36 PM']I'm quite a happy bunny, as I've just collected an ebay impulse buy, a Yamaha BB 4GA II.

A 1988, quilted Maple (?) turquoise see-thru, twin humbuckers and active electronics. In very good condition, as new, apart from the gold plated hardware looking a bit worn.

Just plugged in and tried it and it plays and sounds great, will go down a treat with my 80's glam-metal band!

Anyone got any thoughts on these as regards what I should have paid, any pitfalls etc?

Turns out the guy is a mate of basschatter Peteacademy's so I reckon it will probably turn out to be a good deal.

Only drawback is, I may have to move something on to appease the other half....[/quote]

Well i dont have any experience on that specific model but I do have a yamaha bass....a 4 string active rbx800...i play in a soul band and have 5 string warwicks, musicmans, a spector, a status, a gibson les paul etc etc. All expensive basses...... The yamaha sounds the best out of the lot. It really really does. I paid 140 qud for it about 8 years ago when I first started playing bass. I hardly ever use it, but took it to a gig last month as a back up and I just couldnt get my warwick to cut through,,,,I plugged in the yamaha, it having not seen the light of day for 12 months, and it just sounded perfect; it was still in tune in fact! Yamaha don't make crap!

Gareth

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1031943' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:36 PM']I'm quite a happy bunny, as I've just collected an ebay impulse buy, a Yamaha BB 4GA II.

Only drawback is, I may have to move something on to appease the other half....[/quote]

Come on! Pics! :)

[quote name='fatback' post='1032572' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:34 PM']Come on! Pics! :)[/quote]

Got the model wrong, its a BBG-4A II made in 1988.

Had a quick play last night, it sounds pretty good and the actives mean there are loads of different sounds available, something I'm not used to with my passive basses.

[attachment=64690:yamaha.jpg]

Just got back from rehearsal where I used the Yamaha through a small Trace Elliot combo (150w) What a bass! Plays brilliantly, sounded fantastic, clear, punchy, great bottom end, bit of growl....loved it.

The band loved it too, lots of positive comments about the finish, etc. Can't wait for our next gig in a couple of weeks!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1033030' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:38 PM']Got the model wrong, its a BBG-4A II made in 1988.

Had a quick play last night, it sounds pretty good and the actives mean there are loads of different sounds available, something I'm not used to with my passive basses.

[attachment=64690:yamaha.jpg][/quote]

Wooh! Pretty colour :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1033030' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:38 PM']Got the model wrong, its a BBG-4A II made in 1988.

[attachment=64690:yamaha.jpg][/quote]
Love it. The Amberburst version is something I've been gassing over for years, might as well add Teal to the list as well.

[quote name='7string' post='1035817' date='Nov 25 2010, 12:22 AM']Lovely.

I bought a Yamaha RBX550M off eBay a couple of weeks ago. Only cost me £62.

Looks like the Yammy bargains are out there :lol:[/quote]

They're Bargins new!

I LOVE YAMAHA BASSES :D

Always loved every bass they have made, haha,

The only non super bargin new ones are the Attitude and the TRBII ones which are approx. £2500-£3000? Thought the John Pattitucci, is £2000 :) Played oned at a jazz fest in New Orleans, apart from the super wide neck! with its 20mm string spacing it was fantastic!

xD

And the Rbx basses are awesome too, the RBX375 doesn't have a floppy B, everyone just uses wimpy strings :) haha!

I am looking out for a Yam myself. The Glam rock band i play with from time to time one of the guys has one and I have played with it a bit and like it a lot. lots of low end punch through my trace rig and 1/5 of the weight of my Thunderbird :)
not sure what model it was, it was light and woody :)

[quote name='Mog' post='1032593' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:45 PM']Really wish they'd return to that BB body. The new ones dont do it for me at all.[/quote]

Likewise, I much prefer that shape. I always keep an eye out for those passive BB's they stopped making a few years back with the smaller body shape.

If you post the serial number I can break it out for you, lovely looking bass.

...looks like same controls as an active RBX...overall volume, pan pot, treble and bass?

...I'm fairly sure I was bidding on this bass a week or so back, but there has been two in as many weeks...bit like buses!

[quote name='iconic' post='1036389' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:21 PM']If you post the serial number I can break it out for you, lovely looking bass.

...looks like same controls as an active RBX...overall volume, pan pot, treble and bass?

...I'm fairly sure I was bidding on this bass a week or so back, but there has been two in as many weeks...bit like buses![/quote]

Not sure about the controls, didn't seem to be overall volume or pan. Just volume and boost/cut for each pup?

Serial number is PY16132