Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another VM-Jazz Version?

Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='danbowskill' post='1030180' date='Nov 20 2010, 09:56 AM']oh dear that looks proper sh.te(prob sound wonderful)...but what was he thinking?? ..[/quote]
He was bassist in the original Alice Cooper band back in the 70s - it probably went with the rest of the look!

I'm guessing you've never seen his EB-3?

[attachment=64450:dunaway_frogbass.jpg]

:)

J.

Aaaaaah it's a sunburst Geddy Lee Jazz! I made a vow that I wouldn't buy one until they brought them out in sunburst.......they've called my bluff!

[url="http://magazine.dv247.com/2009/07/14/rush-buy-sunburst-geddy-lee-jazz/"]http://magazine.dv247.com/2009/07/14/rush-...geddy-lee-jazz/[/url]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1030338' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:39 PM']He was bassist in the original Alice Cooper band back in the 70s - it probably went with the rest of the look!

I'm guessing you've never seen his EB-3?

[attachment=64450:dunaway_frogbass.jpg]

:)

J.[/quote]
haha.......now that looks the dogs ! :)

[quote name='Moos3h' post='1039287' date='Nov 27 2010, 01:43 PM']I find it odd that Fender are expanding the VM Jazz, which in my opinion is massively inferior to the CV. If the CV had a few more paint options, I'm sure it'd continue to fly off the shelves (wouldn't affect me as I LOVE oly white).[/quote]

Not quite true. The VMs are the ones flying here in Southern California - especially the Jaguars once they play it.

We had Black Friday yesterday where the sales are really discounted and lots of promotions were going on at my local Guitar Center. The place was mobbed and I swear there were busses dropping people off in front of the place in waves.

I was in that store for over six hours yesterday, so I was watching pretty close - so close that a lot of people thought I was SECURITY for the store!

Anyway - the VM-Jags are selling a lot better than the CVs here. I don't think it's the small price difference - the VM-Jag just has a very friendly feeling neck and it's lighter and the fret wires are fatter.

The CVs are 'Vintage Style' and the VMs are 'Jumbo Medium'. I think that's the big reason why I didn't like the necks on the CVs.

I've got to reconsider if I am just jaded or ignorant.

Here I totally dislike the CVs for their necks, which I consider plastic and too rounded.

Then the other day I was at my GC and looking at all the basses hanging there and I just saw the most beautiful Fender I've ever seen.

After about an hour playing with everything else but it, I got it down and realized it was an Artist's model, a Marcus Miller - which should have made me stop breathing.

It had 'that neck' on it again, much like the CVs. The body was to die for, but the neck just didn't fit my hands.

OK - the fact that it has a guard over the p/u was kinda acceptable, as I'm a thumber most of the time anyway like Miller is too. But it was just wrong on many levels - mostly the neck.

This was better feeling --

--- but it has TWO chrome bling-things on it and they are both in the way for me - so even though it's beautiful, it's a No-Go too.

Now I need to wait to feel this Reggie Hamilton:::

It arrives at GC on Dec 29th, this year (almost!).

Perhaps it will have a neck I can appreciate.

Uh, yeah, that's NOT the $3200USD Skunk Works bass though, just the $1000USD one. I cannot reasonably say why I would ever pay three times plus more for a bass. What I will do immediately is put a tort p/g on it though. Then it'll match two other Black/Tort/Rosewood basses I already have.

But somehow I (maybe) am missing the quality that everybody ELSE says that the Miller and the CVs have in the necks.

I dunnow, but I like a less-rounded and less-plastic feeling neck.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1041252' date='Nov 29 2010, 03:09 PM']--- but it has TWO chrome bling-things on it and they are both in the way for me - so even though it's beautiful, it's a No-Go too.
[....]
But somehow I (maybe) am missing the quality that everybody ELSE says that the Miller and the CVs have in the necks.

I dunnow, but I like a less-rounded and less-plastic feeling neck.[/quote]

Why not just remove the pickguards?! That's what everyone did with the early Fenders anyway :)

I prefer the vintage neck profile you don't like - in the long run it gives me less fatigue than the thin ones, not something that's evident immediately though and I expect it depends on both hand size and technique. But you could try a Geddy Lee, necks on those are very narrow front-to-back, might be just your thing?

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1041301' date='Nov 29 2010, 08:58 AM']Why not just remove the pickguards?! That's what everyone did with the early Fenders anyway :)

I prefer the vintage neck profile you don't like - in the long run it gives me less fatigue than the thin ones, not something that's evident immediately though and I expect it depends on both hand size and technique. But you could try a Geddy Lee, necks on those are very narrow front-to-back, might be just your thing?[/quote]

I also play an older Precision with the wider neck, so it's not just that I cannot - but I actually prefer to have a bass with the neck profile and finish I like better than just the width. It's on a case-by-case evaluation for me, as I expect a Jazz to have a narrow neck and a Precision the fatter of the two.

Somewhat sarcastically here - the fret board area of the Marcus Miller felt almost as rounded as the back of the neck, and I find that very uncomfortable.

As for the chrome guards - that was obviously in my way, and to take it off would be sad to me. First - THE HOLES! Second - I PAID FOR THAT 1953 HUDSON BUMPER so why would I remove it?

I am upset by seeing holes in gear - it looks like it's been a target for small caliber handguns and I don't care for that look. Don't EVEN show me a chip on your guitar either! I guess this indicates how I feel about RW and relic'd gear too.

Actually - I know we all whore for one desire or another - some: tone, some: price tags, some: name plates, some: cosmetics. Maybe I'm an anal-retentive iconoclast of sorts, but I like my gear to look new and strive to keep them that way.

Having excess holes and tinted shadows were something was installed showing in the woodwork makes me cringe a little.

Anyway - <off soapbox now> I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Reggie Hamilton at GC on Dec 29th, this year (hopefully) and then I'll see if it's time to buy another bass.