Why become a member? ×

The EBS Classic 450

EBS_freak

For those who are interested in the new 450W head from EBS, I have been speaking to the men in the know and I can confirm this monster will be available imminently for a price that lies between £800 and £900 (probably bang in the middle)

Cracking price or what?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='dood' post='117192' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:25 PM']Is it because all their previous gear was so ghastly overpriced that with all the profit they have made, they can finally afford to seel an amp at a reasonable price??? lol lol lol[/quote]

We are talking pounds...

...and dood is just miffed cos he missed out on flanker's preamp... :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='117221' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:46 PM']We are talking pounds...

...and dood is just miffed cos he missed out on flanker's preamp... :)[/quote]

I'd go out and buy a brand new one if the cheeky li'l beggars weren't charging stella prices for their gear. (In comparison to other preamps in the same catagory)

[quote name='dood' post='117306' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:45 PM']I'd go out and buy a brand new one if the cheeky li'l beggars weren't charging stella prices for their gear. (In comparison to other preamps in the same catagory)[/quote]

They don't do the classic preamp anymore hence why the prices are high as there are not many about. The Microbass II kinda killed it. I agree though, the Gallery's price for that pre is pretty rediculous!

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='117905' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:28 PM']for those of us incapable of googling any info on this beast - is there a link to specs or something?
curious as to how it might compare to an old hiwatt 400.[/quote]

It's not out yet... so specs aren't available yet.

The details should hopefully be on the EBS website after it has been released over 17-20 Jan at NAMM.

[quote name='Buzz' post='118290' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:01 AM']The question is, if EBS can sort out a powerful 450w all valve head for under 1k, how come Orange (being UK based) still charge 1.1k+ for an amp half the power?[/quote]

isnt the orange point to point hand made? this is most probably a PCB affair

Had a good play with this tonight and it will retail for £820. This will be available from shops stocking EBS gear but Bernie will do a deal for Basschat members.

First - [url="http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/cl450.htm"]not a valve in sight[/url].

This amp does not have all the extra's that the "definition" bass heads have, but what id does have is tone. It also retains the transparency that you expect from an EBS and having tried it with both of my GB's, a Rumour, a KSD and a Fender each bass had its own character shine through.

It also has the EBS responsiveness to playing dynamics. If you snap it snaps, it you thumb it thumbs and if you stroke it strokes.

In a word, fan-f***ing-tastic. If you find the existing EBS amps a little clean for your taste, this is the kiddie.

I'd like to find out what the point of the stand-by switch is then... another name for a 'mute' switch eh?

and what of:
450 W RMS @ 2 ohms load
400 W RMS @ 4 ohms load

Not really sure here.. if the load doubles, I would suspect a bigger difference than a mere 50W between loads...

From the Features box:

[quote]# Switchable Tube/Solid State
# 100% Solid State design[/quote]

Que?

That makes not alot of sense, unless it just means there's a switch to turn valve emulation on or off, which well...sounds like fishing for features.

It still sounds the dogs - bass_ferret nails the description.

dood -

I'd like to find out what the point of the stand-by switch is then... another name for a 'mute' switch eh?

and what of:
450 W RMS @ 2 ohms load
400 W RMS @ 4 ohms load

Not really sure here.. if the load doubles, I would suspect a bigger difference than a mere 50W between loads...

- I know. But all of EBS heads seem to be like that...?

Edited by EBS_freak