Why become a member? ×

Lemmy's high man!!

Marky L

Was just watching a bit of Motorhead live on youtube (2010, Rock In Rio - Portugal) and noticed in a shot how high Lemmy looks to have his action. I grabbed a pic and you can really notice it on his E string (can't recall the song but he was battering away at the A and D).

Does it make hammering away at chords on a Ric easier?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1023953' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:54 PM']Is a high action so much of a sin then?[/quote]

Not in the slightest and I know it has been discussed on here, but I think in general most actions are on the lower side of medium.

Edited by Marky L

[quote name='Marky L' post='1023960' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:58 PM']Not in the slightest and I know it has been discussed on here, but I think in general most actions are on the lower side of medium.[/quote]

But that doesn't tend to suit playing with a plectrum, let alone hammering away like Lemmy does :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='1023948' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:51 PM']Was just watching a bit of Motorhead live on youtube (2010, Rock In Rio - Portugal) and noticed in a shot how high Lemmy looks to have his action. I grabbed a pic and you can really notice it on his E string (can't recall the song but he was battering away at the A and D).

Does it make hammering away at chords on a Ric easier?[/quote]

I would imagine that the action is set high so that he can really use some force behind that plectrum without the strings smacking into other frets at the same time.

More power to him.

I'm so lazy with my left hand, the strings are nearly on the frets with the set-ups I do for myself.

Whenever I do a setup for anybody else, I always ask what they prefer, as far too many people take a 'set up' as make the action as low as possible.

[quote name='Marky L' post='1023948' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:51 PM']Was just watching a bit of Motorhead live on youtube (2010, Rock In Rio - Portugal) and noticed in a shot how high Lemmy looks to have his action. I grabbed a pic and you can really notice it on his E string (can't recall the song but he was battering away at the A and D).

Does it make hammering away at chords on a Ric easier?[/quote]
That's not high action, that's the string recoiling from him beating the sh*t out of it. Look at the G string, were the action as high as the E string suggests it wouldn't be that close to the edge of the frets in a picture taken at that angle.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1024143' date='Nov 14 2010, 11:47 PM']That's not high action, that's the string recoiling from him beating the sh*t out of it. Look at the G string, were the action as high as the E string suggests it wouldn't be that close to the edge of the frets in a picture taken at that angle.[/quote]

Good call, actually. You can see a slight bit of bend in the string from it's recoil.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1024143' date='Nov 14 2010, 11:47 PM']That's not high action, that's the string recoiling from him beating the sh*t out of it. Look at the G string, were the action as high as the E string suggests it wouldn't be that close to the edge of the frets in a picture taken at that angle.[/quote]

I thought the same originally, except that as I mentioned while watching the whole clip you can see he is playing the A and D strings and doesn't go near the E. You can also see the E isn't moving at all suggesting it hasn't just been played either.

One of my P's has a higher action and I'm thinking I might take it a bit higher now and see what life is like at those dizzying levels!

If you are playing aggressively on a ric and have too low an action it's very easy to keep smacking the pole pieces on the bridge pickup. I know he now uses customised rics without the standard PU's but he would have used one for a long time and maybe developed his high action then as a result.

[quote name='KevB' post='1024552' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:55 PM']If you are playing aggressively on a ric and have too low an action it's very easy to keep smacking the pole pieces on the bridge pickup. I know he now uses customised rics without the standard PU's but he would have used one for a long time and maybe developed his high action then as a result.[/quote]

Yup, that was what I was a-pondering.