Why become a member? ×

Ashdown JJ-500 (JJ Burnel Stranglers Model)

markorbit

Just got notice of a new Ashdown bass amp based on JJ Burnel's own amp which I seem to recall is a black AL 600 (I think). There are only 10 available right now from Ashdown's Custom Shop with the production model arriving sometime next year. RRP is £569. Here's the blurb and pic.

As a bass legend for the past 30 years JJ Burnel is no ordinary bass player and his bass amp of choice is just as special as the man himself. The AL-JJ500 was developed in conjunction with The Stranglers bass icon with the objective of creating a versatile, rack-mounting bass amp head with a thrilling dynamic range and an ultra-clean fast-response 575 Watts RMS output section. The resulting JJ-500 head has been JJs’ weapon of choice for the past decade.

Suitably equipped instruments can be plugged in via a balanced, low impedance XLR input for the ultimate low-noise connection, with a conventional jack provided to accommodate standard instruments. The optimum input level is set by an input gain control, operated in conjunction with a classic, illuminated Ashdown VU meter. Precision tone shaping comes courtesy of a 12-band graphic equalizer, which can be switched in and out from the front panel. Unique to Ashdown Labs is a revolutionary Harmonic Emphasis circuit that actually synthesizes new harmonics which combine with the originals under variable level control to create a stunning extra top-end ‘zing’ – like permanently playing with new strings. The balanced DI output on the front panel can be switched pre and post EQ, and a tuner output with mute switch is provided for silent tuning.

The massive, shielded toroidal transformer is custom designed for the Ashdown JJ-500 and ensures a continuous, regulated supply to power huge transients across a wide frequency response.

Preamplifier features include low impedance and conventional instrument inputs, illuminated VU meter, Harmonic Emphasis, 12-band graphic EQ, switchable pre and post EQ balanced DI output, tuner output with mute switch, line output, effects loop and speaker outputs on jack and Speakon connectors

Edited by markorbit

[quote name='markorbit' post='1021002' date='Nov 12 2010, 08:59 AM']That's very a very astute deduction!

That's pretty much correct apart from a special transformer by the sounds of it.[/quote]

Just because the transformer was custom designed for that amp design doesn't mean the JJ500 isn't the same amp as the MK500. I would SERIOUSLY doubt that there's any difference between the 2 other than cosmetic (especially since MK seems to have jumped ship to TC). Ashdown have history here. For example WAY back when the ABM was still young, and available as either a 200 or 400 watt version, the lines were 'upgraded' to 300 and 500 watts... except they weren't... I believe the same can be said of the 'upgrade' from the ABM to the first ABM EVO series. They're all the same design with different names...

While we're on the subject - can anyone tell me what difference there is between the ABM series and the Klynstron series (which was what the ABM was originally called - the Klynstron Bass Magnifier), other than cosmetic?

Having said that I adore my first run ABM amps.

Edited by Bigwan

I think JJ's original amp was a AL600 or something.... before the MK series came out.

I quite like it as I do like a Trace-style 12 band graphic for tone tweaking AND I like the Ashdown VU meter aesthetically. I own a ABM300 head at the moment for backup and giggles but I'm not a huge fan of the sound. This could be more like the old Trace's perhaps.

If it had a compressor I'd have been sold even though I'm not particularly on the lookout for a new amp. I would also replace the slider caps with white ones.

Still, it's a decent price point I think.

Not sure how you switch it on though. There's no big button on the photo.

Edited by markorbit

Just had confirmation that in order to keep the price down at JJ's request (a very reasonable £569 RRP) the on switch has been simplified to a less extravagant switch at the back. And for those that note the similarity between this and the red MK model the preamp on the JJ-500 is voiced to JJ Burnel's preference. Can't wait to try it out.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1026194' date='Nov 16 2010, 06:35 PM']I love the idea of these, but I think owning his signature bass [i]and[/i] his signature amp would be taking things a bit too far-unless I played in a Stranglers tribute band-which I don't![/quote]

True... though these early ones are minus any actual signature on the front unlike the production run.

• 2 weeks later...

With the kind of sound JJ gets, and presuming yr after that if yr buying his signature amp, I`d prob go for as many 10s as possible, or maybe a 4x12, tho make sure it can handle the high frequencies. It seems to me, with his sound throughout the years, that it is "size and presence" as well as tone, so 4x12 or 8x10, or 2 4x10s, or 4x10 & 2x10.

I use a Marshall VBC 4x12, and it can easily do the JJ sound with my Marshall amp. Not so much on the Orange, unless I chuck in my Sansamp, then it`s JJ heaven - huge early Stranglers sound. Of course, the Ashdown will chuck this out no worries.

I've given this a spin today. I would say that it is a nice looking piece of kit, looks great in black. I always liked the 12 band EQ from my Trace days. Sound-wise it does put your bass into that tone area associated with JJ Burnel - in fact I found it hard to get out - the graphic didn't seem to be as effective as my Trace preamp on the low end. It doesn't do distortion but I like the way it handles once you get a bit of fret grind going. Whilst some amps start to protest and sound flappy and loose this one seems to sound better the more you hit it, almost compressed but in a good way.

The Harmonic Emphasis isn't my thing but if you like to add top-end sizzle and go for an earlier Burnel-style tone it's there.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='roonjuice' post='1159259' date='Mar 12 2011, 01:23 PM']I can categoricallly state that jj uses signature shukers. And well, see for yourself...:) .

[/quote]

He also uses a Korg Pandora, run via the Front of House desk for some distortion effects.

• 2 years later...