Why become a member? ×

DR Strings - NEONS

xilddx

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1029019' date='Nov 19 2010, 10:59 AM']That's still less than a month at the sort of usage I put my strings through. Plus I haven't yet found a set of DRs that I liked either the feel or sound of.

Pity... because those Neons look fantastic.[/quote]
yes but you won't be hitting the string in exactly the same place each time unless you are also a machine :)

[quote name='patch006' post='1029238' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:02 PM']I fancy putting some DR black beauties on my lovely lovely fretless. Piccys added!
Has anyone used them ? will they damage my fret board? Cheapest place to get them?[/quote]
Have you read the thread dude? :)

Of course you will get slight worming on the fret board over time as they are roundwound strings. How much depends on your fretboard. Mine is polished ebony so not many marks will appear.

They are best bought from the US on ebay if you want them for a decent price.

Cheers.

[quote name='patch006' post='1029238' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:02 PM']I fancy putting some DR black beauties on my lovely lovely fretless. Piccys added!
Has anyone used them ? will they damage my fret board? Cheapest place to get them?[/quote]

Nice bass patch006 btw.

Sir silddx did the strings come straight to you, or did you have to pick them up and pay duties, etc?
I'm after some more fatbeams from the states, but concerned that it won't work out any cheaper in the end??

Thanks,
John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1029542' date='Nov 19 2010, 04:22 PM']Nice bass patch006 btw.

Sir silddx did the strings come straight to you, or did you have to pick them up and pay duties, etc?
I'm after some more fatbeams from the states, but concerned that it won't work out any cheaper in the end??

Thanks,
John[/quote]
Hello John, in three years I have never paid duty on strings from the states. They came straight to me within five days of odering them.

[quote name='silddx' post='1029568' date='Nov 19 2010, 04:35 PM']Hello John, in three years I have never paid duty on strings from the states. They came straight to me within five days of odering them.[/quote]

Thanks Nigel, I'll take a punt I reckon, your source looks a good'n.

John

[quote name='bassfan' post='1029130' date='Nov 19 2010, 12:09 PM']Nice looking bass the Neons look great.. I take it they play just as well as they look... so what colour do I go for??[/quote]

Only one way to know for sure! try to find single strings and jsut have each string be a different colour!

I was thinking of doing this myself, and seeing as I can't find any single strings (not looked very hard though to be fair)...How long would the strings last in the packet? I would've thought pretty much indefinitely, but I'm sure little bits of dirt an such would get in there, do strings decay over time if they're left wrapped up in the packet?

[quote name='charic' post='1028761' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:05 AM']How do these hold up to heavy pick usage?[/quote]

Other than whats already been said about how they test these strings i just wanted to point out that while i was adjusting the truss rod in my HW-one (at the body end) i happened to force the Allen key against the D string, bending the string slightly, and It took the finish off. I now have a small silver patch.

Maybe i should have been more careful but it does show that they are a bit delicate.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1038710' date='Nov 27 2010, 12:16 PM']Other than whats already been said about how they test these strings i just wanted to point out that while i was adjusting the truss rod in my HW-one (at the body end) i happened to force the Allen key against the D string, bending the string slightly, and It took the finish off. I now have a small silver patch.

Maybe i should have been more careful but it does show that they are a bit delicate.[/quote]
Yes, it does warn you about such things on the packet, they are not indestructable or whatever.

[quote name='silddx' post='1043170' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:44 PM']Yes, it does warn you about such things on the packet, they are not indestructable or whatever.[/quote]

Yeah, im more annoyed with myself for doing it. Still, a quick dab with a Orange Highlighter sorted it out :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1043358' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:23 AM']Yeah, im more annoyed with myself for doing it. Still, a quick dab with a Orange Highlighter sorted it out :)[/quote]
Haha! That's what I do with the Black Beauties, a dab of permanent black marker. Sorry, I don't know why I didn't suggest that to you in my post above, I meant to.

[quote name='silddx' post='1043388' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:43 AM']Haha! That's what I do with the Black Beauties, a dab of permanent black marker. Sorry, I don't know why I didn't suggest that to you in my post above, I meant to.[/quote]

Yeah, god bless the marker pen. It really was only a small area. Even i couldn't see it when the bass was strapped on. Just getting a bit anal i guess :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1043415' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:59 AM']Yeah, god bless the marker pen. It really was only a small area. Even i couldn't see it when the bass was strapped on. Just getting a bit anal i guess :lol:[/quote]
Anyone who buys DR Coated strings has got to be pretty anal about appearances :) I know I am, it's very important, we are in the entertainment industry :)