Why become a member? ×

TO GO: The Wife!

CPBass

I got my '69 model on hire purchase back in September. Mind you, I'd had her on "try before you buy" for about five years. Unfortunately I don't think the payments will ever end. She's short scale with a fantastic top, incredibly rounded bottom end, and all the neck dive you could handle.

And she comes with a number of accessories.

Frequently.

:)

(And if she sees this, I'm dead!)

I should be receiving a new one soon, she sounds pretty exotic.
Robbie from Rim Bass' has got her for me, I haven't even seen a picture of her yet! But Robbie does have a good eye for good looking ones and as he had made this one himself, I'm sure he will have put his skillful hands to good use.
He called the other day to tell me I could have her soon, he is just trying a few different pick ups with her.
He told me that she is gorgeous with a great top and a very heavy bottom.
He knows I like to play hard and fast, and I'm sure that when Robbie has finished with her she will be able to handle me and my limited skills. I plan on using her all the time, and pretty soon I will be playing with her in public with a group of friends.
Anyway, I'm off to practice on my own so I will be ready when she gets here.

I can't wait for my Rim Bass' Marseer 5 String!!! :brow:

[quote name='gusto' post='171238' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:01 AM']......I'm sure that when Robbie has finished with her she will be able to handle me and my limited skills......[/quote]

I see you're continuing the general theme of this thread with gusto!

I got rid of my '71 short scale about a year back, but unfortunately it still rings in my ears on a regular basis. It's very loud and trebly with a tendency to snap. However I'm sure that if the body, neck and hardware were replaced, she would be perfectly serviceable.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='171746' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:45 PM']I got rid of my '71 short scale about a year back, but unfortunately it still rings in my ears on a regular basis. It's very loud and trebly with a tendency to snap. However I'm sure that if the body, neck and hardware were replaced, she would be perfectly serviceable.[/quote]

I know it's a difficult mod to do, but try just swapping the head and leaving everything else intact, I reckon that'd sort it.

I got a lovely '76, mildly customised, awesome top end, and a bottom end to die for!! Most nights i cant wait to get her out of her case and pluck her G string! Sometimes prone to interference, but his is easily sorted with Vodka, however this sometimes makes her a bit difficult to play with! I'm due to finish the HP on her September 6th, so then she'll be mine forever.. :)

I previously had a nice heavily modded '84 shortscale, had a nice decorated top end, middle and bottom end, but there was something wrong with her sound, a kind of chainsaw noise in my right ear, so i parted with her.. :huh:

Due to a decree absolute coming through, The Wife, a '52 short-scale with a heavy tobacco sunburst, is no more. This also means that The Mistress, a '60 full-body, has now been rebadged as The Fiancee. I'm very happy.

[quote name='tauzero' post='175511' date='Apr 13 2008, 01:57 AM']Due to a decree absolute coming through, The Wife, a '52 short-scale with a heavy tobacco sunburst, is no more. This also means that The Mistress, a '60 full-body, has now been rebadged as The Fiancee. I'm very happy.[/quote]
It appears from your joy that the reduction in vintage factor is overcome by the product 'bedding in' to market. It seems that you will definitely play the later model more. Increased satisfaction all round. Well done sir.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='265170' date='Aug 19 2008, 07:24 AM']you guys have made me so happy, i'm only 17 but i got every single joke...
to top it off i'd love to see all your wife's faces if they saw all this...

:)[/quote]

My wife loves this thread & thinks it's one of the most funny/outrageous things she's ever read! :huh:

Hopefully this weekend I should be picking up a rather nice '91 that's recently had a finish change from chesnut to blonde. She's in beautiful shape and plays like butter. Some modifications at the headstock, metal added etc but nothing too crazy.
Definately a keeper if I get my hands on her, especially since she's very much suited to my musical tastes.

oh and cracking top and bottom end!

Edited by noirpunk

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='265582' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:24 PM']I'm just shipping mine off to a man in Essex who's [b]promising to replace half of her in carbon graphite[/b]. I'm hoping she'll come back looking pretty and nice to touch.[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh:

Has she lost her legs and is having prosthetics fitted?!? :huh: :unsure: :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='265627' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:17 PM']:) :huh: :huh:

Has she lost her legs and is having prosthetics fitted?!? :huh: :unsure: :lol:[/quote]
It's more a "check-up from the neck up". Apparently the new neck and head will make a sound that goes on for ages as well as pointing out your mistakes more clearly than the standard one.

I can't see how that's possible... :lol:

Just noticed this thread !!!
I haven't laughed so much in ages, anyway here's about mine

She's a lovely 75 reissue nice copper top, was her abandoned by her previous owner who didn't treat her very well,
but over the 4 years i've had her she's maturing quite nicely, she's a bit lean up top but has a nice rounded
shapely bottom which is a pleasure to play.

Infact when i first had her i used to play her for hours on end & she responds better the longer she's played.

Every now & again the bottom pickup gets a bit moist after lots of use, but after a short rest & a wipe down, then she's happy to carry on where we left off.

She's definately a keeper :)

Edited by Bernmeister

Gentlemen, I feel we need to be reminded of Quats post. And I reiterate my initial comment of 'Genius'. The day I stop laughing at this will be the day I die.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='152270' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:14 PM']Well, I've got a gorgeous '74, longscale neck with an ultra-slim body. There are a few cracks beginning to show in the finish but it still plays pretty well.

The downside is that I recently used the body to create a couple of miniature reproduction models which caused a bit of damage. The two spring loaded control knobs no longer repspond as they're supposed to - they've become really sensitive, such that now when you twist them all you hear is a high-pitched squeal instead of a pleasant sound. Also the jack socket got mashed up, the fit isn't so tight now. It still works but is a bit temperamental - sometimes I have to hold the cable in my hand instead.[/quote]
:) :huh: :huh: :huh:

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='Bernmeister' post='266324' date='Aug 20 2008, 02:39 PM']Every now & again the bottom pickup gets a bit moist after lots of use, but after a short rest & a wipe down, then she's happy to carry on where we left off.[/quote]

Haha oh dear!!

-----------------------

My '89 is in need of some replacement noiseless pick ups, unfortunately the volume control is also broken.

My '91s previous owner didn't give her a lot of action.
I'll have to make up for that and give her plenty of attention.
Have to see if she responds better to fingers, picking or slapping :)
Hope she's as loud as the '86 I used to own, she made Lemmy sound quiet