Why become a member? ×

TO GO: The Wife!

CPBass

Am i the only one on this site who has a real vintage 59 long scale model. Some modifications but much is still original.

It makes me feel old when everyone is talking about 1980 & 90's models. I'm not sure they would be for me, think i'd better stay vintage.

[quote name='jcater' post='352456' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:39 AM']Am i the only one on this site who has a real vintage 59 long scale model. Some modifications but much is still original.

It makes me feel old when everyone is talking about 1980 & 90's models. I'm not sure they would be for me, think i'd better stay vintage.[/quote]

Mine's a '58 :) One owner from new ..

[quote name='jcater' post='352456' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:39 AM']Am i the only one on this site who has a real vintage 59 long scale model. Some modifications but much is still original.

It makes me feel old when everyone is talking about 1980 & 90's models. I'm not sure they would be for me, think i'd better stay vintage.[/quote]

I have a '59 too. One owner - eventually managed to wrangle her away from the factory. All original, she's still got a firm body, nicely contoured and remains passive. Have tried active circuitry but she liked it too much, so went back to the original. No upgrades except for a respray on top every month or so.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='360082' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:05 AM']Mines a quality '59, but to be honest no mattter what I do, the noise that comes out of it sometimes is just not good. I have no idea what im doing wrong.

:)[/quote]

I have a similar problem at the moment with my `65, but I`ve figured out what I`m doing wrong - BLOODY EVERYTHING according to her!!

[quote name='jcater' post='352482' date='Dec 12 2008, 10:13 AM']Vintage models can still make relly pleasant sounds with careful use of reverb or tremolo units. I recommend batteries not mains[/quote]

:)
Legend!

My Flame-topped '85 has to get another mention...I recently had a GAS attack for another model, and I brought the recently aquired mint example of mid-90's american craftmanship home with me after work. The original model was far more accommodating than I would've expected, and doesn't mind me playin with the newer model most eveings, until I've twiddled all the knobs and set it up just right. I've yet to play 'em both at the same time, but i think it'd sound SWEEET!

[color="#708090"]

*this is what can happen when you mix metaphor and reality[/color]

Edited by phil_the_bassist

I imported a nice young chinese Sx j model
not the sort of thing you'd want to take out and show your mates but its quite nice to have laying about the house and just pick up to have a play with every now & then
its not quite as attractive as its american counterpart but it looks pretty good from a distance and is fun to play and does everything you need it to