Why become a member? ×

New MINI 1x12s from Aguilar?

Musicman20

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705692"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705692[/url]

No idea what the official specs are, as this hasnt been announced, but the weight is supposedly around 25lbs!

If they sound anything as good as the DB/GS 112s/212s, we are in for some fun :)

Edited by Musicman20

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking cabs. Light too, but still an odd size (very small car un-friendly - although I suppose that depends on the car)...

Not going to complain too much though. If they perform like the GS or DB series 1x12 they'll fly out the door.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1011811' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:04 AM']Not going to complain too much though. If they perform like the GS or DB series 1x12 they'll fly out the door.[/quote]

Big +1

I was going to get a DB112 of GS112 for small gigs, then I figured it was a bit daft and just use one of my 2x10s. Then I can treat myself with the DB212 on certain gigs.

If it sounds anything like the other Aguilar cabs, we are in for a treat. Apparently the crossover has been carefully designed to take out the neo 'aggression' that 'some' neo speakers provide (not all). So, its smoother.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1011821' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:15 AM']Oh, and apparently they also may (note 'may') have a mini amp/micro amp coming out. I really like Aguilar, so Im hoping its fantastic![/quote]

Wow!
When the time's right, I'll be on that like a nun sandwich!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1011821' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:15 AM']Oh, and apparently they also may (note 'may') have a mini amp/micro amp coming out. I really like Aguilar, so Im hoping its fantastic![/quote]

Meh... if it sounds like the AG500SC they can keep it. That amp was a bigtime disappointment for me (although I didn't play it with Aggie cabs - apparently they work best with their own cabs). I went back to my *cough* ashdown *cough* (always feel a bit embarassed by that admission round here) - also gave up on my Thunderfunk and went back to my ashdown. Have to say Aguilar are a bit late to that party... but unlike ashdown, you can probably be assured they'll get it right...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1011967' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:53 PM']Meh... if it sounds like the AG500SC they can keep it. That amp was a bigtime disappointment for me (although I didn't play it with Aggie cabs - apparently they work best with their own cabs). I went back to my *cough* ashdown *cough* (always feel a bit embarassed by that admission round here) - also gave up on my Thunderfunk and went back to my ashdown. Have to say Aguilar are a bit late to that party... but unlike ashdown, you can probably be assured they'll get it right...[/quote]

We've had very different experiences bud, I had a go of an AG500SC through a single GS112 and was seriously blown away!
If I had had the cash at the time, and could've coped with going back up to a full sized head again it would've been perfect, I was sold, completely and utterly.
For me, it had quite a modern a aggressive sound though, which won't be everyone's cup of tea I guess.
Really interested to see what they can come up with though.

Eude

[quote name='machinehead' post='1012814' date='Nov 5 2010, 12:44 AM']I love the look.

If they're using the Kappalite 3012HO or a driver of equal spec, and they're properly tuned, I'll have a pair. Very cool looking.

Depending on price of course. :)

Frank.[/quote]

Ive asked for pricing on these from Darren at the Bass Merchant, and even though I really dont need any cabs, id love a pair of these.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1012985' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:21 AM']Ive asked for pricing on these from Darren at the Bass Merchant, and even though I really dont need any cabs, id love a pair of these.[/quote]

Haha. I know what you mean. I don't need any more gear either. Would you mind asking Darren if he has any specs on the driver being fitted to these beauties?

Thanks,

Frank.

I'm a big fan of Agi gear - quite excited about these lighter cabs (I wonder if we can expect to see lighter versions of some of the lager units?) A couple of these could suit me for stereo - the only disappointment is the styling. I've been really impressed by previous retro designs from Agi but these just don't do it for me at all (so subjective I know). Still if the tone is there and the cabs are easy to handle, I can simply look away...

I didn't like the first pics on TB I saw, so will reserve judgement until I see and hear them.

The sound is paramount, for sure, but you don't want them to look like dogs...!!
Fair enough if cabs cost dog money, kind of, but to charge a decent whack and not get the design right is shoody and basic.

I think the dims are about the same as the GS and DB 12" series, give or take.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1014195' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:56 PM']Isn't anyone worried that it's so light? I find that ultra light cabs tend to lack that certain... je nais se quois? I dunno, they just seem to lose a bit of projection and bassiness. I can't describe it!

Truckstop[/quote]

Possibly... I guess you need to A/B them with a comparable cab.
I don't find the GS a problem for carry anyway..so am not going to be looking at weight here.
I might want a tad more of a hi-end kick and I think I'll be getting either an AE or DB stack to see if this will
help....but am really really really being picky here..
There isn't much about the GS cab I don't love, but hey...onwards and upwards..or not..!! :)
It will be fun for GAS....

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1014195' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:56 PM']Isn't anyone worried that it's so light? I find that ultra light cabs tend to lack that certain... je nais se quois? I dunno, they just seem to lose a bit of projection and bassiness. I can't describe it!

Truckstop[/quote]

Personally, no.

I have a GS112 and that packs more punch than pretty much every cab I've ever played through! Will have to try the SL112 but have a lot of confidence in it being good!

If the rumours about these mini amp/cabs are true, I'm going to be all over it like a tramp on chips!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1014357' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:14 PM']Hi

Ill see what I can find out :)[/quote]

Thanks very much.

Although I just noticed the magnet weight and I don't think these new SL112cabs will use the 3012HO driver which is disappointing. I dont doubt they'll sound great anyway but it does mean their performance will be less than is possible.

For me that rules them out. Never mind, I'm sure the looks alone will make them sell in droves. They are very pretty.

Frank.