Why become a member? ×

New MINI 1x12s from Aguilar?

Musicman20

Has Aguilar released the speaker spec and model then?

Personally, I'd like them, but by no means need them. The DB tone really is it for me, so these cabs have competition!

The weight saving is nice, but not essential for me.

I definitely want to try a pair out! If it has that Aguilar quality build, and the tone is near to what they say, these will fly off the shelves!

• 5 weeks later...

So I went to the Aguilar office in New York a few weeks ago and managed to not only try these new cabs, but A-B them with two DB112T's.

The new ones are pretty amazing, maybe not quite as powerful sounding as the DB112s, but not so you'd notice unless you're really a/b-ing them very closely.

Very impressive.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1050385' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:03 PM']So, the trade is watts against weight..??

Hopefully, that will free up a few DB112's around here :)[/quote]

I think thats the idea with them. Smaller, lighter package, for those who dont want to carry 40lbs ish.

For me? Im happy with the DB weight anyway, its not huge.

I can imagine Aguilar have done a great job on these new cabinets.

I run 400w in 2xGS112 and I like that..not sure about downgrading the power rating of the new NEO, but would indeed have to hear them

I am more interested in getting the DB112's so want to go down that avenue first.
It will be my quest in the NY and want the same low end fullness of the GS with a bit more presence from the mids.
It isn't that the GS cabs don't do that with EQ..but I prefer the idea of the cab having that bias. All bets are off if they don't fill the room with full bass though...as the GS do so well.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1053155' date='Dec 9 2010, 06:17 PM']Not mine... I'm not trading down to Neos! :lol:[/quote]

Bug... I can see why though..not hankering after NEO's against a 40lb cab anyway..but I hear your cabs are in good nick so I would have been after them :) :)

oh well..keep looking..

[quote name='JTUK' post='1053731' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:21 AM']Bug... I can see why though..not hankering after NEO's against a 40lb cab anyway..but I hear your cabs are in good nick so I would have been after them :) :)

oh well..keep looking..[/quote]

I keep thinking that something that weighed next to nothing like the Barefaced or many of the Neo cabs, would be worth the sacrifice in tone (just my opinion but I've yet to be blown away by the tone of Neo cabs regardless of whether it is cab design or the driver) but whenever I A/B Neo/DB cabs the DBs just suit me better! :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1054210' date='Dec 10 2010, 04:21 PM']I keep thinking that something that weighed next to nothing like the Barefaced or many of the Neo cabs, would be worth the sacrifice in tone (just my opinion but I've yet to be blown away by the tone of Neo cabs regardless of whether it is cab design or the driver) but whenever I A/B Neo/DB cabs the DBs just suit me better! :)[/quote]

Massive agreement! Not sure if it's the designs or the speakers, but even an email to Jim Bergantino reassured me that it's not just my tastes...hence why he has such a large range if ceramic cabinets.

I don't know what it is, but I always hear extra high mids with neo cabs I've tried.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1054210' date='Dec 10 2010, 04:21 PM']I keep thinking that something that weighed next to nothing like the Barefaced or many of the Neo cabs, would be worth the sacrifice in tone...... :)[/quote]

Don't worry about that. There is no sacrifice in tone whatsoever by moving to a Barefaced Midget.

Remember, the Midget uses a higher specification (and more expensive !!) driver than any of the Aguilar cabs being discussed here and that applies to 99% of the 12 inch loaded cabs on the market, including the highest priced brand. :)

Everyone seems to love the looks of the new Aguilar neo cabs (myself included) but it just proves Bill Fitzmaurices view that most bass players buy cabs with their eyes not their ears.

Frank

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1054282' date='Dec 10 2010, 05:01 PM']Unfortunately Frank I've tried the Midget and it wasn't to my taste... each to his own but I stuck with the DBs! :)[/quote]

Fair enough, and wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

In all likelyhood, if I owned a pair of DBs I wouldn't feel like parting with them either. The difference in performance probably wouldn't justify cost to change. I know the drivers in the DBs are excellent having owned cabs with the same ones.

For me though, it seems to be possible to make the Midget (and the Compact) sound very different using EQ. It can go surprisingly deep for its size, but can be middy/ punchy and if you reduce the mids, you can get a very pleasing sweet and mellow sound. Of course, the Compact goes deeper. Together they are a wonderful and powerful stack - and featherweight, which is a big bonus for me with the back pain problems.

And they both fit together in the boot of my Fiesta.

Frank.

EDIT Sorry. Just realised I'm hi-jacking this thread slightly. Back to the topic........

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' post='1054366' date='Dec 10 2010, 06:27 PM']Fair enough, and wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same things.[/quote]

Very true! :)

We're not hi-jacking the thread, I'm sure honest and open views about the merits of the various drivers and cabs will interest people looking at a thread about the new Aggies. :)

Whilst I am sure tone is paramount in a lot of peoples eyes.. or should I say ears, but the cabs have to work on all levels as well and if it looks like a dog then that is a no as well...for me.

Not sure the new Aguilars will appeal to me on the Neo front, but I'll probably get round to trying them at least,
but some cabs also look plain awful or downright DIY..which is fine if you are paying DIY or did DYI, IMO.

That said, some of the cabs in the build diary looked great so I could go that route, for sure.