Why become a member? ×

Multi bass jams.

arthurhenry

Yep, aside from a band I saw, and was on the same bill as many years ago, bands with more than one bass aren`t really for me.

The band I mention was Spit Like Paint - two bassists, one doing the traditional root notes, the other playing more Peter Hook type melodies. I suppose the reason it worked was cos they didn`t have a guitarist or keys, so there wasn`t oo much going on. Def a one-off tho, in my view.

I'd like to see one where the virtuosos put their money where their mouths are and just held down the low end like they're always teling us to do, after they've unleashed a flurry of cutlery tray down the stairs type slapped 32nd notes. Sheehan steps up and plays sraight 8ths on one note for 4 bars, then Wooten hits a low E and holds it for the next 4, Steve Bailey plays Quarter notes for 4 bars and then Manring plays a root, 3rd, 5th walking line. No chance!

Edited by arthurhenry

Technically no, in practice mostly yes.

Anyone trying to make bass a lead instrument is, in my book, pretty deluded. It's just not an interesting sound, at least nowhere near as interesting as a saxophone, a guitar, or a piano. For me, the real glory of the great bass player is in rhythm and harmonisation. A bassist can make a vocal, horn or guitar melody sound immense in a way no other instrument is capable of, except perhaps a piano.

The problem lies in bassists with great technical facility and theoretical knowledge, coupled with a personality that requires them to demonstrate that facility. They normally replace another more suited instrument in an ensemble to play established complex jazz music, write music they feel is suitable for solo bass, or learn cello pieces and put them on youtube. In almost all cases it fails to stimulate on anything other than a technical level, and only other people who like technical facility seem to appreciate it. Even I am guilty of enjoying some of it, (but never Alain Caron :) ), but I am a bassist so of course I am going to. But I recognise it is simply novelty, a circus act.

The truly great bassists are the ones with great technical facility and theoretical knowledge who make composers' music sound richer and more musical, and excite the composer and the audience, even if it's subliminally. That is challenge enough for most musicians. I really believe a bassist has to know his place and purpose, otherwise learn the guitar or the trumpet for god's sake.

EDIT: I'm assuming in a multi-bass scenario, one of them will be a lead instrument.

Edited by silddx

Why even make this thread? Were you drunk or on drugs? It serves no purpose but to be ignorant.

I'm not getting into a debate here, music is music and any can be beautiful or ugly. I've run jam nights where there have been multi bass jams and I've taken part in them, and in my experience where all parties involved are good musicians, they've all sounded excellent. Looks like we may have a variable here?..

Also, have you listened to 95% of Manring, Sheehan and Wooten's recorded output? Or just heard a few snippets, maybe a solo album here or there? This post makes me think you're just fishing for argument, which I can actually say I've been guilty of at times :).

Two albums for anyone who still has doubts to put them to rest:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Bass-Could-Only-Talk/dp/B000025LOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287922767&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Bass-Could-On...2767&sr=1-1[/url]
-
Most tracks have a 'lead' bass and a 'bass' bass, this is one of the most important bass playing albums recorded, and is all incredible music

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-Artery-Rothko/dp/B000059WK2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-Artery-Rothko/dp/B000059WK2[/url]
-
Three bass guitars and nothing else make up this album, and its one of the most beautiful things you'll ever hear

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='998815' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:21 PM']Why even make this thread? Were you drunk or on drugs? It serves no purpose but to be ignorant.

I'm not getting into a debate here, music is music and any can be beautiful or ugly. I've run jam nights where there have been multi bass jams and I've taken part in them, and in my experience where all parties involved are good musicians, they've all sounded excellent. Looks like we may have a variable here?..

Also, have you listened to 95% of Manring, Sheehan and Wooten's recorded output? Or just heard a few snippets, maybe a solo album here or there? This post make me think you're just fishing for argument, which I can actually say I've been guilty of at times :).

Two albums for anyone who still has doubts to put them to rest:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Bass-Could-Only-Talk/dp/B000025LOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287922767&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Bass-Could-On...2767&sr=1-1[/url]
-
Most tracks have a 'lead' bass and a 'bass' bass, this is one of the most important bass playing albums recorded, and is all incredible music

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-Artery-Rothko/dp/B000059WK2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-Artery-Rothko/dp/B000059WK2[/url]
-
Three bass guitars and nothing else make up this album, and its one of the most beautiful things you'll ever hear[/quote]

Mmm, sorry to point this out, but there is a certain loftiness, a bitter arrogance in your post. You are not considering that others may feel differently and not aspire to the goals you have for the bass.

Is there a food you are not keen on? The intestines of a pig, lightly steamed then sautéed in oil perhaps? The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi? Then don't be so quick to dismiss that person who does not as ignorant.

This could actually argue the case either way depending on your state of mind or exposure to certain genres, but either way it is interesting:
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/134504/For%20All%20It%20Is.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/134504/For%20All%20It%20Is.mp3[/url]

Its a vinyl I borrowed from a friend and digitalised, its basically 4 double bassists and a drummer.. it gets pretty crazy ..

I don't usually like bass duets, but there are a few exceptions and I have played some with friends that I've really enjoyed (and the listener enjoying it is just one aspect of the music, the performers are allowed to enjoy it too!). I appreciate it's not everyone's bag, and I agree that some bass duets sound crap. But. I'm not going to write them all off. Here are a couple that I really like, maybe you will too, but if not that's ok!

[quote name='silddx' post='998825' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:27 PM']Mmm, sorry to point this out, but there is a certain loftiness, a bitter arrogance in your post. You are not considering that others may feel differently and not aspire to the goals you have for the bass.

Is there a food you are not keen on? The intestines of a pig, lightly steamed then sautéed in oil perhaps? The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi? Then don't be so quick to dismiss that person who does not as ignorant.[/quote]

Although I've experimented in it, I don't play bass in any way like the subject matter discussed in this thread, have a listen to the bands linked to in my sig.. its about as far from this thread as you can get.

The key difference between what you're saying and the reality of this thread though is that you're suggesting that the original statement here was:

"I don't like [The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi]"

where it was:

"[The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi] can never work"

My opinion is that the bass is the most amazing instrument in any setting, be it a traditional pop/rock type band, Jazz band or an orchestra/stage show etc. The bass ultimately controls the mood and style that gets heard

But I am no fan of the bass outside this setting, I think guys from Mark King to the Wootens of this world are gifted beyond belief, but once they step over the line of being a support instrument to a bigger picture I loose interest, despite my love of bass

I don't mind a small bass solo, or a fill, or even the likes of Dave Holland going off on one for a while, but to long without some other instrument as well and its not for me

So a can look Jaw dropped at Stanley and Miller etc showing us their stuff, perhaps the same way I can at someone who does 1000 keep ups with a football, but Id rather see 3 touches in a team game

Sorry if this is off topic slightly :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='998829' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:30 PM']This could actually argue the case either way depending on your state of mind or exposure to certain genres, but either way it is interesting:
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/134504/For%20All%20It%20Is.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/134504/For%20All%20It%20Is.mp3[/url]

Its a vinyl I borrowed from a friend and digitalised, its basically 4 double bassists and a drummer.. it gets pretty crazy ..[/quote]
Oh man! That is absolutely unspeakable! Your mate bought that??

[quote name='silddx' post='998845' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:41 PM']Oh man! That is absolutely unspeakable! Your mate bought that??[/quote]

Haha, found it in his dads record collection.
I think its great, that art like that can exist is proof that we live in a better world than we're lead to believe sometimes.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='998840' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:38 PM']Although I've experimented in it, I don't play bass in any way like the subject matter discussed in this thread, have a listen to the bands linked to in my sig.. its about as far from this thread as you can get.

The key difference between what you're saying and the reality of this thread though is that you're suggesting that the original statement here was:

"I don't like [The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi]"

where it was:

"[The raw gonads of the sea urchin served with soy and wasabi] can never work"[/quote]

Both the recipes I mentioned work for millions of people. Both are popular dishes in the countries they originate in. I nearly chose the pigs intestines (chitterlings) at a restaurant, St John in east London, but was advised by the waitress something else on the menu was even more delicious.

[quote name='silddx' post='998850' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:45 PM']Both the recipes I mentioned work for millions of people. Both are popular dishes in the countries they originate in. I nearly chose the pigs intestines (chitterlings) at a restaurant, St John in east London, but was advised by the waitress something else on the menu was even more delicious.[/quote]

The square brackets were to imply that what's inside them is an interchangeable context, I used the recipe to build off your post for a comedic touch

[quote name='Oscar South' post='998847' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:44 PM']Haha, found it in his dads record collection.
I think its great, that art like that can exist is proof that we live in a better world than we're lead to believe sometimes.[/quote]
Is it "art"? What is art to you?

To me it was not what I consider to be "art". It was four bassists and a drummer making a sound like a wasp nest.