Why become a member? ×

P bass or J bass

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998168' date='Oct 23 2010, 03:40 PM']Thanks ez, but i meant whats better out a p and j bass.[/quote]

Ah OK. Well for [b]me[/b] a P bass, for you well that's another question.

There's always the Stu Hamm sig bass if you can find one, the ultimate compromise

[quote name='ezbass' post='998279' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:31 PM']Ah OK. Well for [b]me[/b] a P bass, for you well that's another question.

There's always the Stu Hamm sig bass if you can find one, the ultimate compromise
[/quote]
Yeh ive seen Stu using a red glitter version which is nice but one realistically not going to happen for me :)

I can only tell you what everyone else is gonna say. You have to try them out side by side. Are you aware of any good guitar shops anywhere near your town?

Its a shame you couldn't have got down to the bass day in Manchester, you could have tried them to your hearts content. Really thats the nub of it, you need to try them out. I have both, and both are different guitars, with the Jazz physically different only with a slightly thinner neck for smaller hands. I bought a new cheap Westfield P bass and it turned out to be a pretty decent bass for the price. But after trying out a Jazz a few weeks later i realized that the thinner neck might help my smaller hands get around the fretboard. So i thought that id take a look around this time and learn what was the best for the price. After good month of asking questions on this forum I plumped for a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, and am still happy about how good it is.

You can get a reasonable emulation of a P bass with a Jazz by using the bridge pickup and playing nearer to the bridge, but at the end of the day a realm P sounds a little, well more P bass like, beefier or punchier or something. So if you cant afford both then your gonna have to choose, which means if at all possible you need to sit down and play both side by side through the same amp. So you gonna have to find a shop to do that in. Shouldn't be too much trouble really. But if theres anyone could help you out with a go of theres that'd be a good prelude to sitting in a shop and choosing. You really need an hour or two to decide.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Johnston' post='998359' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:57 PM']I used a P copy and it did the job. But what type of band are you playing with I know ones playing with the traditional Violins/flutes/organ and a few acoustics and maybe an electric for good measure and then there are a few places trying to modernise things with a full on drums and electrics.

I did the violin route and ended up being requested by the music leader to bring my 6 string he did the organ too so he would get me to do the low stuff so it would free him up to fill up the upper register.

If I was to do it again with all the orchestral type stuff I'd take the Flat strung Violin bass :lol:[/quote]

All we have is a piano player, acoustic guitar, drums, ME(bass) and 2 singers. We play traditionally out the songs of fellowship books which might be familiar to u :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998342' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:42 PM']Why a g&l 2000?[/quote]
Purely because of it's immense versatility of tone and immense value for money. The hardware is slightly downgraded on the Tribute and they are built in the east but the wiring and pups are the same the USA version which in most people's book gives you pretty much the same as the USA version in all but name. You can pick up a top nick second hand for £300-350.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998408' date='Oct 23 2010, 07:41 PM']Hmm might maybe possibly potentially go for a g&l 2000.

Ill see if i can try one out in a shop or something[/quote]
I don't know if you'll find them in music shops - they do turn up fairly regulary on here though but don't hang around for long. If you're interested in trying one out just buy one. Second hand examples hold their value very well so if you don't get on with it at all you'll be able to move it on for what you paid.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='998429' date='Oct 23 2010, 08:01 PM']I don't know if you'll find them in music shops - they do turn up fairly regulary on here though but don't hang around for long. If you're interested in trying one out just buy one. Second hand examples hold their value very well so if you don't get on with it at all you'll be able to move it on for what you paid.[/quote]

Ill check out Guitar Guitar as they have a great wide range of guitars and basses and see if theres one there :)

I've tried both but still couldn't decide, I think a G&L L2000 is a fantastic compromise of both although I know i'd like a P mainly because of the neck. I have small hands but chordally its easier and less cramped for me on a wide neck and it compromises my speed minimally - a P also has a better band presence, provided you have a good amp.

If I were playing in my room i'd use a Jazz/stingray or Rickenbacker for the look and tonal fun but a precision is essential to have. +1 for a G&L L2000 covers the fenders well in passive or active.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='998289' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:42 PM']Why limit yourself to a P or a J?

Get a G&L L 2000 tribute and you get the best of all worlds!!

Jez[/quote]
Well if we're going here then the Tributes are great value for money versions of very nice basses. Nearly got a 5 string one (L2500) of these myself a while back, but I managed to contain my GAS.