Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2007

Gary.Lowe

Speaking of trains, if anyone is travelling a fair distance,it may be worth considering getting singles each way in advance rather than a return. Silly as it sounds, buying two singles was 2/3 of the price of a return from Swansea. Bizarre!

Cheers,
Alun

MB1. :)

I gather that youll (as per usual) be able to pay on the door to get into Bassday 2007?. However, how exactly are we going to know who everyone is? basschatter from a well known top uk bassist? or indeed lost trainspotter?(titter ye not!....your not that far away from trainspotter h.q) piccadilly station....Will there be a basschat stall where you can lay your burden down and have a relaxing pot of tea and Eccles cake?.

[quote name='Gary.Lowe' post='62603' date='Sep 19 2007, 11:27 AM']First act won't be on untill about 14:00[/quote]

Hi Gary, has this changed? The schedule on the website now seems to start at 1 o clock. Wouldn't want anyone to miss out :)

Cheers,
Alun

PS Am I reading it correctly that most acts, excepting Stevie, Laurie and Bond, are using a house band? Any ideas whose in it?

[quote name='jwbassman' post='83849' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:56 AM']Hi there - anyone going from the Ormskirk/Southport/Preston area - interested in sharing a lift then drop me a PM

Also does anyone know what the parking situation is like - I don't know Manchester very well... cheers[/quote]

I'm driving from Chorley so if you would like a lift let me know. There's car parking around the area so not a problem.

Alain

For any of you out who know me. I'll be on the Overwater stand again this year. I'll be the tall chap with the camera called Stu.

Head over to the Overwater stand where we will have a good range of Basses, EA Amps (Including The Micro 300) EA Cabs, Acoustic Image, Hendriksen Jazz Amp, Strings, Straps and Gig Bags.

We're giving away a 50% gift certificate to one lucky winner this year (details to be confirmed on the day) as well as giving away an Overwater Canvas and Leather Gig Bag! Just pop over to the stand to enter the free prize draw.

PM me for further details.

[quote name='bleedproof' post='85892' date='Nov 9 2007, 01:16 PM']For any of you out who know me. I'll be on the Overwater stand again this year. I'll be the tall chap with the camera called Stu.

Head over to the Overwater stand where we will have a good range of Basses, EA Amps (Including The Micro 300) EA Cabs, Acoustic Image, Hendriksen Jazz Amp, Strings, Straps and Gig Bags.

We're giving away a 50% gift certificate to one lucky winner this year (details to be confirmed on the day) as well as giving away an Overwater Canvas and Leather Gig Bag! Just pop over to the stand to enter the free prize draw.

PM me for further details.[/quote]

I'll be over for a chat. i've spoke with Chris the last 2 BDs and found him to be a thoroughly nice guy.

I'm ga bit utted I won't be there - I was seriously looking into transport a few weeks back and the cost is pretty bad from London - and I would have had to stay over which would have meant more dosh - so it's lucky I have a gig at Notting Hill Arts club on Sunday to keep my mind off it!

I hope you all have a wicked time and if anyone would be kind enough to film Hadrien Feraud's set and post on YOu Tube that would be bloomin' ace! I've seen all the other bassists a lot so it's mainly Hadrien I'd want to check out - but it's a long way just to do that.

Look forward to hearing the general banter about it next week.

Have fun

Mike

[quote name='terryblyth' post='86468' date='Nov 10 2007, 01:51 PM']I'll be mingling there too, so if you recognise me say hi - I've only had the good fortune of meeting one basschatter before (Luke Ward) so it'd be great to see some more of you! Just about to head off actually from Surrey, so I should be there by Monday :)[/quote]

Please all come and say hi if you see me! Be great to meet some basschatters. I'll be on the BIMM stand most of the day, and on GB Guitars & EBS occasionally too.

Stu

i might sound an idiot here, but if you order online do you get actualy tickets, or can i get one now, and use the paypal printoff to get in? also, anyone else going on their own? Noone else I know would pay £17 to watch me walk around going 'ooohhh' and 'aaahhh' :)

Anyone stop around til the end of the night to watch Hadrien Feraud?

I'm liucky that I live in Manchester, so it was no problem staying til the end. And well worth waiting around for.

To be honest, I'd never heard of him before (have I been sleeping under a rock?), but he blew me away. Definitely one to watch out for in the future if he's touring the UK.

Bagged a set of Elites strings for freebies, so good point. Bad point....my mate's number was one out for the Overwater Bass prize draw! He's a drummer, so I'm sure he'd have handed it onto me. Oh well, that's life.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='87292' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:32 PM']Anyone stop around til the end of the night to watch Hadrien Feraud?

I'm liucky that I live in Manchester, so it was no problem staying til the end. And well worth waiting around for.

To be honest, I'd never heard of him before (have I been sleeping under a rock?), but he blew me away. Definitely one to watch out for in the future if he's touring the UK.

Bagged a set of Elites strings for freebies, so good point. Bad point....my mate's number was one out for the Overwater Bass prize draw! He's a drummer, so I'm sure he'd have handed it onto me. Oh well, that's life.[/quote]

Oh Yes! I was staying overnight so I got to stay till well after the music finished. hadrien was absolutely astounding and a really nice guy to chat with. he told me he'd be in the Uk with John Mclaughlin sometime in May. Because of language differences, i don't think he understood that I wanted them to come to scotland.
hats off to Stgevie for yet another fantastic day. every year it gets better. This was a much better venue than previously and having a band format for every performer was so much better than having looping (sorry guys). The only thing I'd add would be for them to maybe have a couple of rock players. I love jazz but it did seem a little one sided- especially when jeff berlin cracked his (oh so old) rock bassists can't tune joke. looking forward to next time.

[quote name='jacko' post='87598' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:46 PM']The only thing I'd add would be for them to maybe have a couple of rock players. I love jazz but it did seem a little one sided[/quote]

Yeah, my feelings in a way too. Absolutely loved Hadrien Feraud, but having someone like Bond (although it wasn't to my tastes) was a good idea as it added some variation to the evening, and a look at how other bassists are approaching the instrument.

Imagine the possibilities of having the same evening again.....with a young James Jamerson, a young Jack Bruce, a young Paul McCartney, a young John Entwistle, a young Chris Squire, etc. (impossible I know, but you see where I'm going).

I personally could listen to the likes of Hadrien, Jeff and Lorenzo play all night, but I also think it's important to demonstrate as many styles as possible.....and yes, that includes rock bassists.