Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this fretbaord wood for me?

umcoo

Ebony I'd say. I can't see a grain at all on there, and rosewood normally has a more noticeable grain than ebony. Its also quite dark, although in terms of colour it could be rosewood. But the lack of real grain is my reasoning for saying ebony.

[quote name='Twigman' post='997102' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:31 PM']it looks a little too brown to be ebony...it is very dark though so maybe it's Brazilian as opposed to Indian rosewood?[/quote]
Ebony is brown dude, they stain it black.

I actually think it could be ebony as the grain is incredibly close, but the pictures are crap so I may be wrong. Either that or it is very old high quality Brazilian rosewood.

I instantly thought of Janek Gwizdala's Fodera fretboard when I saw it and that's ebony I believe.

If its a Warmoth and the pictures accurately portray the colour then its ebony.

The Warmoth Ebony boards are as black as black can be and it looks the same as the one I had on my '54 P bass.

There are about 400 varieties of ebony ranging from 'black' to 'is that ebony?' cos the cheap and nasty stuff tends to be very pale, requires dying and the filling of knots.

[quote name='umcoo' post='997226' date='Oct 22 2010, 03:57 PM']Pictures are the best available online I'm afraid. The bass belongs to the original bassist from Weezer if anyone cares.[/quote]

You know what? I posted "Just as a matter of interest, is this the guy from Weezer?" and then thought to myself, I don't even like Weezer. Then I google imaged Weezer bassist, didn't see anyone that looked like him, and thought I'm going to make myself look like a fool, so deleted it. But I was right! :)

Delbert - it is indeed a Warmoth neck. I looked in the Warmoth showcase and all Brazilian and Indian Rosewood boards are very brown, or have a lot of brown streaks. I'm trying to find a decent picture of the bass outside - problem is that any stage lights might be affecting the colour.

Tait - Haha, yep he's the original. They've had 3 bassists now so a google search probably brought up the latest one.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='997751' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:37 AM']I would say ebony, going on how it relects light, the last pic especially. The b&w pic too, the way the moisture is sitting on the fretboard also leads me to believe it's ebony.[/quote]
What I was thinking too.

I can't help wondering why the OP gives a sh*t what it's made of though :)