Why become a member? ×

Conditioning fingertips

Jam

I was in the pub a few weeks ago and got chatting to a guy who would from time to time, just bust out a harmonica and play some music along with the jukebox in the background. He was damn good and we got chatting about music (don't we ALL want to be good at harmonica?) and he was very interested when he found out I was a bass player.

He asked me "Have you strengthened your fingertips?" and I said that they were quite strong from years of playing. He pulled me in closer and said:

"Dip them in piss"
"Hahaha.....wait, what..?"
"No really, I don't mean whack it out now and spray all over your hands"
"Right..."
"But if you got a bowl, get some urine in it and dip your fingertips in, the ammonia dries out and the tips get hard".

Has anyone EVER heard this before? I'm pretty sure he wasn't winding me up as we were chatting for ages and he was convinced it would work..

[quote name='risingson' post='990772' date='Oct 16 2010, 11:59 PM']Even if it does work, surely you would find the chemical in the piss and isolate it to use instead of... well, just pissing on your hands.[/quote]

The chemical is ammonia, which you wouldnt want to be dipping yer hands in unless it was very diluted, say for example, the dilution found in human urine.........

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='990775' date='Oct 17 2010, 12:04 AM']The chemical is ammonia, which you wouldnt want to be dipping yer hands in unless it was very diluted, say for example, the dilution found in human urine.........[/quote]

Then dilute it! Alcohol would work in the same way as ammonia would.

Back in the days when I first picked up a bass I tried all sorts - super glue, vinegar, and yes even piss, to strengthen the finger tips. None seemed to work and I was forever getting blisters and blood on the fretboard. The trick that worked for me was playing lots. That gave me nice hard tips and I haven't had any problems for the last umpteen years. As an added bonus my hands don't smell like a tramps. :)

Had this guy tried various types of wee to see if human stuff was best? :-) Dog? Cat, Cow ? Horse? :-)

PS wee drinking is quite common in India - plus classic references in Black Adder and League of Gentlemen (Micturate, micturate!!)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNWYK_5Mu4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNWYK_5Mu4[/url]

[quote name='SteveO' post='990931' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:42 AM']Back in the days when I first picked up a bass I tried all sorts - super glue, vinegar, and yes even piss, to strengthen the finger tips. None seemed to work and I was forever getting blisters and blood on the fretboard. The trick that worked for me was playing lots. That gave me nice hard tips and I haven't had any problems for the last umpteen years. As an added bonus my hands don't smell like a tramps. :)[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='SteveO' post='990931' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:42 AM']The trick that worked for me was playing lots. That gave me nice hard tips and I haven't had any problems for the last umpteen years.[/quote]

My dad used to suggest soaking finger tips in surgical spirit, but I found playing bass a lot worked best as well.

Urine has been used to achieve many things throughout the ages, its proberly one of our most wasted assets in this recycle era

I've never intentionally done this, can't wait for the 1st Basschat to post the results

Edited by lojo

Enjoy...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

[quote name='lojo' post='990959' date='Oct 17 2010, 11:06 AM']Urine has been used to achieve many things throughout the ages, its proberly one of our most wasted assets in this recycle era

I've never intentionally done this, can't wait for the 1st Basschat to post the results[/quote]