Why become a member? ×

The Springhead, Hull

yorick

My band did a gig there a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't amazingly busy, but had a decent gig. When it came to being paid, we were told that the bar takings weren't brilliant, so we were paid half cash and the balance on a business cheque. Guess what.... the cheque bounced, lumping our singer with a bank charge for a bounced cheque. Now the manager won't speak to us.
So, any bands you are in, or you know that are going to play there, can you warn them they may well get stiffed like us.

While we're on the subject I've heard of bands having trouble getting paid at the newly-refurbished Fibbers in York. Tokyo Industries took over, announced that they'd spent 250k on the place and bought a whole new PA, but apparently that's not entirely true. They had Oceansize booked a few weeks back and the new rig couldn't meet their tech spec, so they dragged the old desk out - covered in brick dust from the refurb - and couldn't get it going. They also didn't have enough monitors or - laughably - XLR cables, so the gig got cancelled and the band had to turn away all the fans who were queueing outside. A lot of the old guys from Fibbers have jumped ship since, including their main promoter.

So yeah, I would recommend booking Stereo on Gillygate or the Duchess instead.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='989289' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:03 PM']While we're on the subject I've heard of bands having trouble getting paid at the newly-refurbished Fibbers in York. Tokyo Industries took over, announced that they'd spent 250k on the place and bought a whole new PA, but apparently that's not entirely true. They had Oceansize booked a few weeks back and the new rig couldn't meet their tech spec, so they dragged the old desk out - covered in brick dust from the refurb - and couldn't get it going. They also didn't have enough monitors or - laughably - XLR cables, so the gig got cancelled and the band had to turn away all the fans who were queueing outside. A lot of the old guys from Fibbers have jumped ship since, including their main promoter.

So yeah, I would recommend booking Stereo on Gillygate or the Duchess instead.[/quote]

Is there a thread already about this sort of thing? If there isn't, maybe get this pinned for future reference....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='989289' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:03 PM']While we're on the subject I've heard of bands having trouble getting paid at the newly-refurbished Fibbers in York. Tokyo Industries took over, announced that they'd spent 250k on the place and bought a whole new PA, but apparently that's not entirely true. They had Oceansize booked a few weeks back and the new rig couldn't meet their tech spec, so they dragged the old desk out - covered in brick dust from the refurb - and couldn't get it going. They also didn't have enough monitors or - laughably - XLR cables, so the gig got cancelled and the band had to turn away all the fans who were queueing outside. A lot of the old guys from Fibbers have jumped ship since, including their main promoter.

So yeah, I would recommend booking Stereo on Gillygate or the Duchess instead.[/quote]

That really sucks. Fibbers is (was) one of the best places i've seen bands in. The Duchess is good as well, plus it's right next to fibbers which was helpful when trying to find it earlier this year lol. Shame to hear it ruined.

Not been in the springhead before. To be honest being a bit of an introvert means that despite having lived there for 15 years, i haven't actually been to most places in Hull, not even spiders or pozition!!! There is a nice club I went in recently (well about 4 months ago) down Bev Road called "the hollywood and vine" where my friend's band played in and despite having problems with their PA (i would have brought my own mic and cables if i'd known it was going to happen hehe) and only 10 people turning up to see them play it seemed quite nice. The barman was pissed off about us breaking one of the darts though...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='989298' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:11 PM']That really sucks. Fibbers is (was) one of the best places i've seen bands in. The Duchess is good as well, plus it's right next to fibbers which was helpful when trying to find it earlier this year lol. Shame to hear it ruined.[/quote]

It seems the new owners want to turn it into a club. They've got York St John's main campus just around the corner so I think it's mostly student drinks promos and DJs now.

TBH I haven't been in since the refurb but that's because they haven't put on a band I want to see, and strangely we haven't been booked there but I suppose if all the promoters we work with have jumped ship then that's not surprising...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='989311' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:18 PM']It seems the new owners want to turn it into a club. They've got York St John's main campus just around the corner so I think it's mostly student drinks promos and DJs now.

TBH I haven't been in since the refurb but that's because they haven't put on a band I want to see, and strangely we haven't been booked there but I suppose if all the promoters we work with have jumped ship then that's not surprising...[/quote]

I must admit they didn't usually have my sort of band on before. But when they did... Yeah sucks if they are turning it into just another student club.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='989376' date='Oct 15 2010, 04:00 PM']Aww. shame. One of the best gigs I ever did was at The Springhead. The people who ran it were lovely, but I think they threw the towel in a while ago.[/quote]

The couple who ran The Springhead for years (Terry & Pam Kent) left a while ago, and are currently running The Ryder Club in Coltman Street,Hull.
They made it into the great venue it became, and won numerous awards for their efforts.

TBH I played at The Springhead a few weeks ago and no probs with the dosh, although the place did seem to be a bit short on bar staff - people at the bar not getting served is not the way to run a successful pub. Think the current owners can be a bit unconcerned with how things are - amazing in these hard times etc....

It's a criminal offence to write a cheque knowing that it will bounce. The fact he has written you a cheque is proof of intent to pay. If it were me, I'd send them a letter via recorded delivery asking for the outstanding balance plus bank charges for processing a bounced cheque or you'll initiate county court proceedings.

He's an idiot. If he was serious about ripping you off he should have just paid you half and said he'd give you the rest of the cash next week.

Of course, chances are he's financially screwed anyway and yours will be one of numerous debtors letters landing on his doormat. Next time you drive past the pub it'll probably be boarded up.

[quote name='yorick' post='989487' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:56 PM']Think we're going to go down the registered letter route. See what comes of it......... If it was pennies, and were local, it wouldn't matter, but we came up from Brum, and it's a fair chunk we're owed!!![/quote]

TBF i think having to go to Hull deserves a recompense in itself!

[quote name='casapete' post='989968' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:41 AM']Hey up, easy tiger........its not all bad![/quote]

I was being slightly tounge in cheek. I actually really like Hull. It's not too big like manchester for example but still reasonably happening. Plus it's undergone a lot of improvements in the last 15 years...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='990000' date='Oct 16 2010, 10:37 AM']Good point, I've been to Goole.[/quote]

:) we actually used to go down to Goole from Bev every week so we could go to the leisure centre. My sister eventually got really sick of it. We also used to go to the tescos if we were on our way back from Sheffield and we needed to do the weekly shop. Btw, I've only just noticed they've renamed Fibbers haven't they? Yeah, it looks pretty crap now. Oh well, that's life i guess.

+100

Although I suspect the police won't be putting it at the top of their list.. Solicitors letter followed by small claims court.. Or ask the solicitor to collect the debt - I believe they can recover their costs from the defendant...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='989399' date='Oct 15 2010, 04:24 PM']It's a criminal offence to write a cheque knowing that it will bounce. The fact he has written you a cheque is proof of intent to pay. If it were me, I'd send them a letter via recorded delivery asking for the outstanding balance plus bank charges for processing a bounced cheque or you'll initiate county court proceedings.

He's an idiot. If he was serious about ripping you off he should have just paid you half and said he'd give you the rest of the cash next week.

Of course, chances are he's financially screwed anyway and yours will be one of numerous debtors letters landing on his doormat. Next time you drive past the pub it'll probably be boarded up.[/quote]