Why become a member? ×

cab choice for orange terror

garethfriend

I know there's already a million of these threads and I have read many already.

Just got an orange terror bass 500w head with the intention of saving for a decent cab and practising at home through a cheap 1x15 (thanks to yorick) while the band is not gigging.

I have read alot of good things about the barefaced stuff and I did have it in my head that the big one or super 12 might be what I'm after. I don't want to rush into buying a cab that I can't actually go to a shop and try first though so I was hoping for a few suggestions for other cabs to go with this head.

My requirements are punchy and deep sounding as well as very loud (for the 500w going in). My bass really growls trough this head and I would like to keep that element of the sound intact. Definitely only want one cab but thanks to the oranges design it can be 8 or 4ohm.
I was hung up on getting something lightweight but to be honest so long as it's a one man job moving it and it will go in the back of a car with back seats down I'm pretty flexible, was thinking of a good 4x10 maybe. Playing rock mostly on an ibanez btb.

As for stuff I've tried already, didn't get on with the orange sp cabs and am not a huge fan of ashdown stuff either. I demoed this head through an ampeg 4x10 which was pretty nice but I didn't try and move it so it could weigh more than the moon for all I know -anyone tried getting one of these in and out of the back of a car on their own? Is it even possible?

Budget is about £700, anything else new or second hand I should look out for at or less than that price?

If anyone around derby kind of area has one of the barefaced cabs I mentioned and would be willing to let me try it I would be glad to hear from you.

Gareth

I play an Orange Terror through a Trace 1153, which I picked up used for £100. I got it for a cheap cab to tide me over until I found something better, but I've fallen in love with it. I was going to trade for an Orange OBC115, but the Orange sounded way too muffled - the Trace is way growlier, loads more top end and not a tweeter in sight. Only drawback is it's rated for 250W (although I've heard it can go much louder than that), but I'll just buy a second one if I need more volume!

I`ve not used an Orange Terror, but I can recommend the Marshall VBC 412 which I have. Its a great cab, tho a bit heavy, very old-school sounding, which seems to match what the Terror is all about, no tweeter - which is nice - and is definately the best cab I have ever used. It handles 400 watts and is a 4 ohm cab. Would add tho, I use a 400 watt at 2 ohms amp through this (tho 280 watts at 4 ohms), and because the cab is so powerful, my amp is rarely above 2 on volume. Plenty of punch on this cab.

[quote name='garethfriend' post='979896' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:06 PM']I know there's already a million of these threads and I have read many already.

Just got an orange terror bass 500w head with the intention of saving for a decent cab and practising at home through a cheap 1x15 (thanks to yorick) while the band is not gigging.

I have read alot of good things about the barefaced stuff and I did have it in my head that the big one or super 12 might be what I'm after. I don't want to rush into buying a cab that I can't actually go to a shop and try first though so I was hoping for a few suggestions for other cabs to go with this head.

My requirements are punchy and deep sounding as well as very loud (for the 500w going in). My bass really growls trough this head and I would like to keep that element of the sound intact. Definitely only want one cab but thanks to the oranges design it can be 8 or 4ohm.
I was hung up on getting something lightweight but to be honest so long as it's a one man job moving it and it will go in the back of a car with back seats down I'm pretty flexible, was thinking of a good 4x10 maybe. Playing rock mostly on an ibanez btb.

As for stuff I've tried already, didn't get on with the orange sp cabs and am not a huge fan of ashdown stuff either. I demoed this head through an ampeg 4x10 which was pretty nice but I didn't try and move it so it could weigh more than the moon for all I know -anyone tried getting one of these in and out of the back of a car on their own? Is it even possible?

Budget is about £700, anything else new or second hand I should look out for at or less than that price?

If anyone around derby kind of area has one of the barefaced cabs I mentioned and would be willing to let me try it I would be glad to hear from you.

Gareth[/quote]

i'd take a punt on the barefaced cabs, i'd say you really wont be disapointed.

If you can get down to London I have a Barefaced Vintage 2x15 that would match perfectly and at a really good saving from new (£475 including new padded cover, v £700 new). Check it out in the FS section. Edit: here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105995"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105995[/url]. Its too big to post unfortunately

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='983371' date='Oct 10 2010, 02:27 PM']If you can get down to London I have a Barefaced Vintage 2x15 that would match perfectly and at a really good saving from new (£475 including new padded cover, v £700 new). Check it out in the FS section. Edit: here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105995"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105995[/url]. Its too big to post unfortunately[/quote]

Ah!!!! that's really tempting, I reckon you'll have shifted it by the time I've raised the funds though. How did you find the sound with the orange head? Obviously a different beast to the terror but same preamp I thought?

[quote name='garethfriend' post='983664' date='Oct 10 2010, 07:21 PM']Ah!!!! that's really tempting, I reckon you'll have shifted it by the time I've raised the funds though. How did you find the sound with the orange head? Obviously a different beast to the terror but same preamp I thought?[/quote]
One word. Rock! The Orange valve head is very bass-heavy and warm (could not do glassy/ hi-fi if it tried) and the Vintage suits it to a tee.

[quote name='yorick' post='981300' date='Oct 8 2010, 09:53 AM']Gareth, check this cab out...... Not sure of the power handling, but the price is great!!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=104606"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=104606[/url][/quote]

Seems there's a fair bit of decent stuff around for not much money, also seems I might get a better deal not bothering with the lightweightness of things. When I get paid at the end of the month I'll have to see what oppertuinities like that are still available.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Lozz196' post='981290' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:48 AM']I`ve not used an Orange Terror, but I can recommend the Marshall VBC 412 which I have. Its a great cab, tho a bit heavy, very old-school sounding, which seems to match what the Terror is all about, no tweeter - which is nice - and is definately the best cab I have ever used. It handles 400 watts and is a 4 ohm cab. Would add tho, I use a 400 watt at 2 ohms amp through this (tho 280 watts at 4 ohms), and because the cab is so powerful, my amp is rarely above 2 on volume. Plenty of punch on this cab.[/quote]

To update, I now am an owner of an Orange Terror, and can now state that is sounds just awesome through my Marshall VBC 412. So much power. I have bass, mid & treble on 5/set flat, as I`m using a Sansamp Bass Driver for the eq, and on the amp, both the gain and volume are set on 2 - and this is for gigging volume in a relatively large pub. The Terror into the VBC alone, with no Sansamp also sounds great, I just boost bass & treb on the amp a bit, for the same sound.

I too wasn`t over keen on the Orange SP cabs - plenty of volume, but nowhere near enough depth in the sound for me. Going by other peoples general comments, sounds like the Barefaced would work, but if my description of the Marshall has sparked some interest, theres one going here, for £250ish:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102288&hl=marshall"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=marshall[/url]

They are big & heavy cabs, but they sound awesome.

[quote name='xDaveyx' post='1027524' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:14 AM']would the Orange OBC 410 4x10 Bass Cabinet be suitable for this? not too big?[/quote]
I spoke to Neil at Orange about this and he said it would. They recommend the Smart Power cabs like the SP210 or the SP212 as they have a higher power rating despite being smaller.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1027615' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:14 AM']I spoke to Neil at Orange about this and he said it would. They recommend the Smart Power cabs like the SP210 or the SP212 as they have a higher power rating despite being smaller.[/quote]

I have the SP210 and the Terror and it sounds great.. You can get alot of power and tone just from these two.. People are often blown away with the tone and volume. I've done pretty big stages with it as well.. for a bit more of a full sound, I think an extra cab is handy.. I'm currently using a 1x15 markbass with the SP210 which is great. I'd like to try a 4x10 or 2 1x12 aguliar cabs..when I get more funds and hand in my 1x15 cab..

I work with alot of bands so I need a sound that works for pop, soul and rock and folk.. the Terror gives you that with an old school vibe.. just roll of the gain and you're smooth and crack it up and you rock!!

and DI it's is very sweet..

[quote name='algmusic' post='1027909' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:39 PM']I have the SP210 and the Terror and it sounds great.. You can get alot of power and tone just from these two.. People are often blown away with the tone and volume. I've done pretty big stages with it as well[/quote]
I ordered this cab at the weekend :) Can't wait!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1039520' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:27 AM']The vintage is the 2x15 yeah?

I had an OTB through the compact and the sound was ridiculously loud.[/quote]

Yeah it's the 2x15, had first practice with a drummer since august today, had it on half volume and had to turn down a bit. Right loud.