Why become a member? ×

Would you trust your bass in the hold on a plane?

Clarky

Looks like I might be selling my Fender Jazz to a Finnish BC'er. By complete coincidence I will be flying to Helsinki on business next week so there is the option that I bring the bass with me and meet the BC'er concerned to hand over.

Question is: if I pack the bass the same way I would for a normal Interparcel/ParcelFiorce delivery is this safe? It comes in an old-style (CS tolex, orange lining) Fender hard case and I can pack in a bass-sized cardboard box. Does something going in the hold from a passenger get treated the same as if it was part of a (say) UPS delivery?

I am just concerned that if I carry it with me, the bass will emerge in Helsinki airport in pieces as the box has taken a beating

[quote name='Clarky' post='979067' date='Oct 6 2010, 07:39 AM']Looks like I might be selling my Fender Jazz to a Finnish BC'er. By complete coincidence I will be flying to Helsinki on business next week so there is the option that I bring the bass with me and meet the BC'er concerned to hand over.

Question is: if I pack the bass the same way I would for a normal Interparcel/ParcelFiorce delivery is this safe? It comes in an old-style (CS tolex, orange lining) Fender hard case and I can pack in a bass-sized cardboard box. Does something going in the hold from a passenger get treated the same as if it was part of a (say) UPS delivery?

I am just concerned that if I carry it with me, the bass will emerge in Helsinki airport in pieces as the box has taken a beating[/quote]

Hi Clarky

I have dealt with different bass players around the world buying & trading, I would not be too concerned as long as you
package the bass adequately.

:)

[quote name='yybass' post='979068' date='Oct 6 2010, 07:44 AM']Hi Clarky

I have dealt with different bass players around the world buying & trading, I would not be too concerned as long as you
package the bass adequately.

:)[/quote]
Thanks yybass! Actually the buyer has just contacted me to request that it not go in the hold so I guess my question is no longer urgent!

My 30th stingray got put in the hold in it's lovely red case and nothing else...I was watching, horrified like a hawk from my seat by the window. Needless to say that wasn't what I had planned especially as the bass got put to one side and I thought it was being stored onboard, turns out they were just going to load it last...

I've done multiple trips on airlines with a bass in the hold in a hard case. Never had a problem so far.

I gaffa over the locks to make sure they don't get accidentally caught, but apart from that, nothing. (You can't lock it flying out of the USA).

[quote name='Clarky' post='979067' date='Oct 6 2010, 07:39 AM']Looks like I might be selling my Fender Jazz to a Finnish BC'er. By complete coincidence I will be flying to Helsinki on business next week so there is the option that I bring the bass with me and meet the BC'er concerned to hand over.[/quote]

That's a pretty hefty tour schedule Clarky - wasn't it Denmark and Sweden the other week? :)

It's the big push to 'break' Scandanavia yeah?

[quote name='Jigster' post='979109' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:03 AM']That's a pretty hefty tour schedule Clarky - wasn't it Denmark and Sweden the other week? :)

It's the big push to 'break' Scandanavia yeah?[/quote]
Errr, something like that. Was Paris, Stockholm, Copenhagen in last 2 weeks. Belgium, Netherlands on Thursday and Friday this week. Helsinki next week and Frankfurt week after.

Wish it was a music tour - instead I am visiting investment customers of my bank, touting my wares. Not exactly as much fun but pays for my bass addiction!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='979114' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:08 AM']Dont forget ive got some shipping boxes if you need them Clarky (yeah, still tying to get rid of them).[/quote]
Thanks Dave, I have one at home which I think should fit. If not, will be in touch mate

[quote name='Clarky' post='979117' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:11 AM']Thanks Dave, I have one at home which I think should fit. If not, will be in touch mate[/quote]

No problem. I also have one that will take a standard sized one for double boxing if you need it.

I guess taking it on board in a soft gig bag is an option but ive never flown with a bass so cant really advise.

Hi Clarky, get a bicycle box and line it with expanded polystyrene sheets (£4 each from Wicks). The bass in its case should fit neatly. Slightly slacken the strings, bubble wrap the neck in the case and you should be fine. Do insure the package though.

I've taken basses in the hold before and it's been ok. I don't know if you can do it these post terrorist days but I used to carry the bass to the exit gate and hand it over there.

How does the buyer think a company like UPS or DHL will transport the bass? They will put your bass in the hold anyway so you might as well take it yourself. At least then you reduce the contact with idiots who think it's fun to break the packages!

[quote name='chris_b' post='979187' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:45 AM']How does the buyer think a company like UPS or DHL will transport the bass? They will put your bass in the hold anyway so you might as well take it yourself. At least then you reduce the contact with idiots who think it's fun to break the packages![/quote]
This did occur to me Chris but I wasn't sure if there are different areas of the hold and differential treatment of couriered packages versus those of passengers. In any case the buyer isn't happy about me brining the bass with me to Finland and he's paying, so courier it is!

[quote name='Clarky' post='979214' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:58 AM']....This did occur to me Chris but I wasn't sure if there are different areas of the hold and differential treatment of couriered packages versus those of passengers. In any case the buyer isn't happy about me brining the bass with me to Finland and he's paying, so courier it is!....[/quote]
Some large couriers have their own planes but for smaller destinations they will probably use scheduled flights. I know airport loaders have a bad reputation, but in my experience, they are a million times better than the idiots most courier companies employ!

I’d now add trying to double box the bass as well as the polystyrene etc.