Why become a member? ×

Would you trust your bass in the hold on a plane?

Clarky

Full flight-case in the hold and never had any problems. Never had a prorblem with excess either but haven't been over recently. As long as the bass was within baggage limits, there was no problem at all.
We tended to use the better airlines like BA or Luthansa who had..at the time.. decent limits and a decent handling policy.

My case isn't moulded for anything specific so if I can find the keys to lock it ..if that is allowed... and you want to use it, then no problem if you handle the collection etc etc ..but I am in Kent, so hopefully there is someone closer.

I have Hiscox cases and they are ok but NOT the same IMV..and I wouldn't put one of them in a hold if you can't trust the handlers.

Edited by JTUK

By the way Clarky I've flown with quite a few airlines to Scandinavia with my bass, including SAS, City (a subsidiary of SAS), KLM. SAS handle the baggage well, City don't IME (I saw them toss my bass in, followed by our guitarist's Strat, followed by our keyboard player's Nord stage), it's a similar story with KLM. Might be worth booking an extra seat.

Edited by risingson

In the early 90s when i was pro - only ever used a hard case. No wrap - no lock - nothing except the hard case which must have done about 6 long haul flights with me. I didn't slacken strings or do anything. It may have been dumb but i never ever had an issue. I wasn't as precious about looking after my basses in those days as i am now.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1191886' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:12 PM']I can't take the bass on board with me because we're on a really strict budget and avoiding all costs that we can (a flight case can be re-used indefinitely so it's not something I'd consider an issue with budget for one trip). Plus with a whole band going, there'd be too much kit between us to try and sneak it on, or potentially even storage if we did get it all on.[/quote]
I certainly wouldn't advocate sneaking it on.
What airline?
I don't know about other airlines, but BA allow instruments up to 50" as part of your normal hand baggage.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1191727' date='Apr 7 2011, 01:54 PM']I'm browsing around Thomann and they're surprisingly cheap actually. There's a Harley Benton plywood one for £58 or an aluminium one for £75 or alternatively a Rockbass one (Warwick IIRC, I had one with my Thumb that went when I traded it) that's £84. They should be enough, right?[/quote]
No, they won't be enough. The cases you mention above are cheap sh*t made to look like proper flight cases.
Spend the money on a PROPER custom flight case. You won't regret it, and you can always sell it again when you finish with it & get some of your money back.

If you have to check it in, get a proper case, no cheap nonsense. How would you get on if your bass was broken when you get there.

I have a custom made case from Castle cases in Tamworth, it cost about £130 two years ago. It could easily take being run over by a tank !

It may be cheaper to buy your bass a seat. That's not as daft as it sounds, I did that two years ago flying to Spain, it worked out at about £50 return.

I also managed to take my Zon on board with me both ways to Ireland last year in my Mono bag. Just don't take any other hand luggage, and be calm about it. Don't carry it over your shoulder, just have it by the handles of its bag by your side. That was with BMI by the way. A lot of airlines will let you take it on board, even if you have to hand it in to a stewardess so they can put it in their wardrobe thing.
I'm in the MU, and checked with them first of all, and I made sure I was carrying my membership card with me. I think their stance is that you should be able to carry an instrument with you.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1191969' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:02 PM']I'm in the MU, and checked with them first of all, and I made sure I was carrying my membership card with me. I think their stance is that you should be able to carry an instrument with you.[/quote]

That's interesting. We're all with the MU as well, I'll have to have a look.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1191896' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:19 PM']If it was me doing it (for the first time), I think I'd make every effort to nail it down with the airline before going anywhere near the airport, and then allow at least an extra hour for check-in.[/quote]
Unfortunately no matter what you are told by the airport/airline in advance the final decision on the day rests with the check-in/cabin crew and in these days of extra security nothing you say will make any difference.

If it was me, I'd investigate the MU option but I wouldn't expect any of the cheap airlines to honour it.

Otherwise buy a proper flight case with a custom shaped foam insert and put it in the hold.

Don't lock the case. If security decide they need to get in they will simply break it open in the easiest way possible without any regard for the contents.

Also the need to slacken the strings is a myth. It would only have any benefit if you also slackened off the truss rod by the same amount.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1192027' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:33 PM']Also the need to slacken the strings is a myth. It would only have any benefit if you also slackened off the truss rod by the same amount.[/quote]

Yep. I remember reading something in an old issue of Bass Player from some manufacturer,and they reckoned that it if you slacken the
strings off there is more chance of damage when you tune it back up to pith than if you kept the instrument tuned throughout the journey.
I've never slackened the strings off and I've never had a problem.

The first time I flew with my bass I used a bog standard Freestyle hardcase that went in the hold.It was only a short flight,but other than
a couple of knocks to the case everything was fine. Every other time,I take my bass in a gig bag as my hand luggage.Usually there is no
problem at all. Sometimes the stewardess will check to see if it will fit in the overhead locker and it always does. It's really up to the discretion
of whoever is on the check in desk. On one short flight a passenger in front of me took his guitar on as hand luggage while I was told that I
couldn't-same flight,same steward.I ended up having to put my bass-in a gig bag-in the hold.
I had to do the same on a trip to the US as well-I had the bass in a gig bag as hand luggage on the UK to US flight,but when I had
to change over to an internal flight,it was a smaller plane and I had to put the bass in the hold as the overheads weren't big enough.
Luckily,both times I had to do this the bass has been absolutely fine,with no marks to either the case or the instrument.

I think most gig bags fit in the over heads. You see people taking baby pushchairs on board too, they're generally a lot bigger than most gig bags.

Try and get on the plane first though. Budget airlines generally charge people for checking in bags, so they get taken on the plane. You may have a problem if the overheads are all full.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1192066' date='Apr 7 2011, 06:06 PM']I think most gig bags fit in the over heads. You see people taking baby pushchairs on board too, they're generally a lot bigger than most gig bags.

Try and get on the plane first though. Budget airlines generally charge people for checking in bags, so they get taken on the plane. You may have a problem if the overheads are all full.[/quote]
But what do you do if you turn up with only a gig bag for your bass and they won't let you bring it into the cabin?

If you can bring it on board putting it in the suit lockers in business class is much better than the overhead lockers where it may get other stuff dumped on top.

If you are going to play it safe and get a proper flight case to go in the hold it would be worth checking to see if a proper airline than doesn't charge extra for every little thing is actually better value for money than one of the budget ones.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1192278' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:16 PM']But what do you do if you turn up with only a gig bag for your bass and they won't let you bring it into the cabin?[/quote]

Then it gets put in the hold. Like I said,it's happened to me a couple of times and it was fine.

I've flown with instruments 3 times.

Twice was back in 70s when there wasn't anything like the security there is now, and there was no problem bringing the instrument into the cabin.

The last time was back in 2002. The instrument in question was a small guitar in gig bag. I was flying business class and I arrived so late that I think that it was less hassle for the check-in staff for them to ignore it and let me bring it into the cabin, where it went into the suit locker for the duration of the flight.

The problem with flying with instruments nowadays is that there are no set rules, so it doesn't matter what has happened to other people previously. I would always prepare for the worst.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1192284' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:19 PM']Then it gets put in the hold. Like I said,it's happened to me a couple of times and it was fine.[/quote]
Let me get this straight... you've checked in a bass, its only protection - a gig bag??? And you collected it the other end unscathed??? :) :) :lol: :D
Good grief, man! You have seen baggage handlers at work? Not to be recommended.

BTW My, one time, main bass has been checked in and flown at least a couple of hundred times (full flightcase). Never once did I slacken the strings - and perfectly in tune the other end.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1192293' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:27 PM']The problem with flying with instruments nowadays is that there are no set rules, so it doesn't matter what has happened to other people previously. I would always prepare for the worst.[/quote]
BA has a very clear policy.
Quote:[b] "Small musical instruments may be carried as hand baggage if they are under 126cm (50in), as part of your free hand baggage allowance."[/b]
Don't know about other carriers. BA is my airline of choice :)
If in doubt check with the the airline.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1192406' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:16 PM']BA has a very clear policy.
Quote:[b] "Small musical instruments may be carried as hand baggage if they are under 126cm (50in), as part of your free hand baggage allowance."[/b]
If in doubt check with the the airline.[/quote]

I think most are the same.

It is best to check first though.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1192400' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:10 PM']Let me get this straight... you've checked in a bass, its only protection - a gig bag??? And you collected it the other end unscathed??? :) :) :lol: :D
Good grief, man! You have seen baggage handlers at work? Not to be recommended.[/quote]

Yep.
In fairness though,they never went on the carousel or anything,but they still went in the hold-basically I gate checked it. It's a good job I have a great gig bag.

The key thing with cases is to make sure they fit the instrument closely so that it can't slide around, and that it offers strength in the appropriate directions, so that something dropped on the headstock end can't snap the neck. I've seen plenty of horror stories of guitars shipped in loose-fitting cases with snapped headstocks and only minimal external damage to the case, usually through the instrument being dropped headstock-down and moving under it's own inertia inside the case. In that situation slackening strings can only make things worse.

But I'd agree that carrying as cabin baggage is best of all. I once brought back 2 guitars (a strat in a gig bag and a Heritage Les Paul in a hard case) from the US, carried them both onto the plane and had them both stored in suit lockers for me. There was a band in the plane at the same time, and all their guitars and basses had been stored the same way. Post 9/11 too.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1192406' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:16 PM']BA has a very clear policy.
If in doubt check with the the airline.[/quote]

This..and get it in writing, if you are using a gig bag.
Personally, this is why you keep a full flight case though.