Why become a member? ×

F# tuning

M4L666

I want an low F# string, either on my 6er or I'm getting a cheap 8/7 string. Where can I find string that thick? (looking at .160 - .180, not entirely sure which would be best). So after I have strung this beast of a string, how am I going to hear myself? My current rig finds it hard to project a low A at lower volumes, let alone a whole string below. What kind of money am I looking at to be heard at these low pitches?

[quote name='M4L666' post='975796' date='Oct 3 2010, 10:53 AM']So after I have strung this beast of a string, how am I going to hear myself? My current rig finds it hard to project a low A at lower volumes, let alone a whole string below. What kind of money am I looking at to be heard at these low pitches?[/quote]

My guess is you [i]won't[/i] hear it at all, whatever you do.

High pass filter so nothing lower than 30hz gets into your speaker, and you are good to go, shiny new strings and bridge pickup will make the most of the harmonics you need to hear. Fundamentals are long out the window once you go lower than standard E. Also, headroom on everything. And make your guitarists not be too loud.

Ideally though, have huge headroom, and tune up a step, and have a bassy tone, will cover the same ground, and be much less effort.

I think warwick did a set of strings for their "dark lord" bass which would probably do the trick.

Edit: here they are. £50 though.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2639-warwick_black_label_darklord_bass_strings"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/26...rd_bass_strings[/url]

Edited by EdwardHimself

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys :)

I know that it can be done - look at Mnemic's bassist for proof! All the strings look good. About the 30hz thing - I would assume you can't (or it's pointless/harmful for your amp to) amplify frequencies below this? This is all very interesting, I may end up getting a bass specifically for the tuning looking at the requirements :lol:

Heh, the dude from Mnemic is a beast. Re: frequencies below 30hz, you can (in theory) amplify them (see the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105059"] thread about the Prodigy's PA for some more discussion[/url]) but you need lots of power and lots of speaker area, and in practice it tends to be all mushy if you try and make it all about the fundamentals. Most of the sound of the strings is made up of higher harmonics.

To be honest, if I was playing with guitars tuned below B I would probably do as Meshuggah do and play the bass line in the same octave- trying to do the octave down thing just seems like a lot of hassle to me (although certainly possible if that's what you want).

[quote name='M4L666' post='977432' date='Oct 4 2010, 05:55 PM']Wow, thanks for all the replies guys :)

I know that it can be done - look at Mnemic's bassist for proof! All the strings look good. About the 30hz thing - I would assume you can't (or it's pointless/harmful for your amp to) amplify frequencies below this? This is all very interesting, I may end up getting a bass specifically for the tuning looking at the requirements :lol:[/quote]

Pretty sure most have a hard time below 50hz. It just eats vast power and bass cabs very rarely can do anything with it, aside from flap. It is to do with port tunings meaning below a certain frequency the speaker acts like it isn't in a box. Best cut that out very early on, maybe DI before so it can go through the PA if that can cope. I'm pretty happy with my low A tuning on a fairly standard bass, might benefit from a longer scale though.

[quote name='M4L666' post='977432' date='Oct 4 2010, 05:55 PM']Wow, thanks for all the replies guys :)

I know that it can be done - look at Mnemic's bassist for proof! All the strings look good. About the 30hz thing - I would assume you can't (or it's pointless/harmful for your amp to) amplify frequencies below this? This is all very interesting, I may end up getting a bass specifically for the tuning looking at the requirements :lol:[/quote]
Out of interest, why would you [i]want[/i] to amplify below 30Hz??

According to this article: [url="http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/256/sonic_weapons.html"]http://www.forteantimes.com/features/artic...ic_weapons.html[/url]
the dangerous range is 7 to 8Hz for humans. I'd be careful out there...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='977483' date='Oct 4 2010, 06:45 PM']Heh, the dude from Mnemic is a beast. Re: frequencies below 30hz, you can (in theory) amplify them (see the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105059"] thread about the Prodigy's PA for some more discussion[/url]) but you need lots of power and lots of speaker area, and in practice it tends to be all mushy if you try and make it all about the fundamentals. Most of the sound of the strings is made up of higher harmonics.

To be honest, if I was playing with guitars tuned below B I would probably do as Meshuggah do and play the bass line in the same octave- trying to do the octave down thing just seems like a lot of hassle to me (although certainly possible if that's what you want).[/quote]

I was going to suggest the same thing actually. I've got a bass that goes down to G tuning but really i think you can get away with tuning in A and octaving up the rest of the notes.