Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

The current rig. It's heavy but the sound is 100% worth it.

[attachment=21290:P1020535.JPG]

[attachment=21289:P1020546.JPG]

I usually bridge the channels for most gigs, but it's more than loud enough!

EDIT: sorry for the sideways pics :)

Edited by liamcapleton

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='422988' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:00 AM']The current rig. It's heavy but the sound is 100% worth it.

[attachment=21290:P1020535.JPG]

[attachment=21289:P1020546.JPG]

I usually bridge the channels for most gigs, but it's more than loud enough!

EDIT: sorry for the sideways pics :rolleyes:[/quote]
That's putting out some power, it's made your camera vibrate! :)

I can't believe I've still got exactly the same gear as I had in 1985. It was old then! Still, [i]I thoroughly[/i] endorse H&H products - the finest bass amps ever made. Before that I had a Selmer Treble 'n'Bass valve amp which had more warmth and depth but didn't suit the Wal so much. Most modern amps sound rubbish to my ears.

You've probably noticed my 100 watt amp head has seen better days - it's missing knobs and buttons and even survived a fire in a studio. I've lost the 4 x12 cab from the band days (can't remember what I did with it) so I've used the 15" combo for the gigs ever since. It's a little erratic to say the least, surging up and down in volume of its own accord. I've tried to have it fixed but many engineers have tried and failed.

It's the pre amp part of the H&H I really like. It's a perfect marriage for the Wal (which tends to be very dynamic and I think really needs a compressor. The H&H compressor does the job. The H&H Studio 60 (to give it its full title) is a big fruity amp that weighs a ton. I wrote [i]"this speaker talks bullshit"[/i] on it when I was drunk and I'm still looking for the right cleaning product to remove the offensive lettering.

I tried for years to find an engineer willing to extract the pre amp from the main amp head ... to no avail. It would have been really handy to take it in a little box with me when I was doing loads of foreign gigs in the 90's. If anybody knows someone who can do this let me know.

In the meantime I should try and find a small 12" cab to go with the amp head...so if anybody has one for sale let me know. Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='425153' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:11 PM']

I can't believe I've still got exactly the same gear as I had in 1985. It was old then! Still, [i]I thoroughly[/i] endorse H&H products - the finest bass amps ever made. Before that I had a Selmer Treble 'n'Bass valve amp which had more warmth and depth but didn't suit the Wal so much. Most modern amps sound rubbish to my ears.

You've probably noticed my 100 watt amp head has seen better days - it's missing knobs and buttons and even survived a fire in a studio. I've lost the 4 x12 cab from the band days (can't remember what I did with it) so I've used the 15" combo for the gigs ever since. It's a little erratic to say the least, surging up and down in volume of its own accord. I've tried to have it fixed but many engineers have tried and failed.

It's the pre amp part of the H&H I really like. It's a perfect marriage for the Wal (which tends to be very dynamic and I think really needs a compressor. The H&H compressor does the job. The H&H Studio 60 (to give it its full title) is a big fruity amp that weighs a ton. I wrote [i]"this speaker talks bullshit"[/i] on it when I was drunk and I'm still looking for the right cleaning product to remove the offensive lettering.

I tried for years to find an engineer willing to extract the pre amp from the main amp head ... to no avail. It would have been really handy to take it in a little box with me when I was doing loads of foreign gigs in the 90's. If anybody knows someone who can do this let me know.

In the meantime I should try and find a small 12" cab to go with the amp head...so if anybody has one for sale let me know.[/quote]Kev, that amp and bass had a monumental effect on me back when I first heared "Quirk Out" in Edinburgh in 1986, then when I saw Stump in Liverpool.
My original copy of "Quirk Out" has very little grooveage on its surfaces but I resolutely refuse to listen to it on CD, as good turntables are a superior technology and sound infinitely better, IMDO.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='425500' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:17 PM']Preamp woes, try Dave Lunt, Stockport.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'd like someone to take the bass head apart, extract the pre amp (the tone controls and compressor) and put it in a box for me. I'm not clear how the compressor works with the gain - there is a relationship between them -but it makes sense there will be a power amp in there that can be disconnected. Do you reckon he can do this?

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='josh3184' post='425602' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:42 PM']one way to find out![/quote]

Quite!

Cor... I stumbled on this:

A great website about H&H amps [url="http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/tech.asp"]http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/tech.asp[/url]

I remember lusting after this stuff.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='425600' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:40 PM']Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'd like someone to take the bass head apart, extract the pre amp (the tone controls and compressor) and put it in a box for me. I'm not clear how the compressor works with the gain - there is a relationship between them -but it makes sense there will be a power amp in there that can be disconnected. Do you reckon he can do this?[/quote]
Hi Kev, I took an old Ampeg preamp to him as it was very poorly.
He took over an hour to tell me what was wrong, using oscilloscopes, computers and general chjuzzyness.
I'm playing through it now and it sounds lovely.
He is obsessed with sound, so, he may be a candidate.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='425622' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:14 PM']Hi Kev, I took an old Ampeg preamp to him as it was very poorly.
He took over an hour to tell me what was wrong, using oscilloscopes, computers and general chjuzzyness.
I'm playing through it now and it sounds lovely.
He is obsessed with sound, so, he may be a candidate.[/quote]

I'd better call him some time!

[quote name='WarPig' post='425397' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:28 PM']My latest rig, now fully racked and complete (for now atleast).

Usually have the wireless in the chain. AKG wireless > Presonus Compressor > Tech 21 Amp (tuner out > Korg DTR1000) >AlienAudio 1x15.

[/quote]

Nice amp choice! :)