Why become a member? ×

London bands/gigging, car mandatory?

carlc64

I'm moving to London (from the US) this week, and have hopes I can get into a band & some gigs. I've lived in the UK (Oxford) before and had a car, but didn't really plan on a car in London (don't even know where I'll end up - probably west i.e. Notting Hill Gate etc). Do you find that you can get around the tube or buses fine for practice & gigs or do most people have a car? These days with a gig bag and tiny amps/combos it seems feasible to use public transport (although I've never tried it!).

I have given in to www.addisonlee.com whenever I have to move a cab. High quality service, loads of amps space (I've carried a whole band's gear) and not as expensive as a real cab.

Other than that, my mate Jim once brought his Mesa 400+, bass and Schroder 1212 to a gig on the tube.

My typical rehearsal/gig requirements mean that I can get around on public transport with a sturdy gig bag on my bag, and a medium wheelie suitcase for pedals, cables, etc. This of course means I'm using someone else's amp or going straight into the PA; if I really need my own amp I'll hire a car or share a ride with another band member.

I don't own a car - haven't for a few years, I generally get by ok without. Despite that I'm a member of by-the-hour car rental scheme Streetcar, which comes in very handy.

i've been gigging on and off in london for the last 7 years and i don't even drive.

there's plenty of public transport (buy a sturdy trolley !), taxis if you must, and if i've ever relied on an band member to help with moving stuff around then i give them the equivalent taxi fare as 'petrol money'.

mind you, i generally play small venues that encourage sharing gear, so most bands don't bring their whole raft of equipment anyway.

[quote name='carlc64' post='954182' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:59 PM']I'm moving to London (from the US) this week, and have hopes I can get into a band & some gigs. I've lived in the UK (Oxford) before and had a car, but didn't really plan on a car in London (don't even know where I'll end up - probably west i.e. Notting Hill Gate etc). Do you find that you can get around the tube or buses fine for practice & gigs or do most people have a car? These days with a gig bag and tiny amps/combos it seems feasible to use public transport (although I've never tried it!).[/quote]
Absolutely no problems for me getting to all my London gigs on the tube. I carry my bass and my POD. If you have a small amp, get a suitable trolley and wheel your rig on the tubes and buses. Most venues in London are within half a mile of a tube station at the very most. I cannot be arsed to take the car, looking for parking, no drinking, etc.

I live in london and dont drive.
Although i dont do many gigs in London i do have to get a tube or train (wont do buses unless i really have to) to my pick up points each weekend.
I play with two bands so i got myself two small rigs. I leave each rig with each drummer and just take my bass with me.
It works fine for me but i guess i've been lucky.

[quote name='toneknob' post='954845' date='Sep 13 2010, 02:48 PM']Are they available for other bands please[/quote]

What, the drummers lol.

When i say small rig im talking about a 2x12 cab so not easy to transport without a car.

Actually the other band i play very occasionally with now (LMII/1210R rig) use other bass players and they do tend to use my rig occasionally.
While i dont mind as they do ask, i don't really like them using it too often as its me who spent over £1000 so i could do the gigs with them. why i should i be expected to pay out for someone else to have an easy life?
No offence and i dont know if you were joking or not.
Im always happy to help someone out but only as a one or two off, not as a regular thing. I have offered the rig to a couple of members here over the years to get them out of trouble although it never came to actually lending it out.

Other than for band related things i have no need for a car. I walk to work, my kid goes to school across the road etc so to keep a car on the road just for weekends isnt really cost effective (i would also need a parking permit as im in central london). Spending £1000 on a second rig might seem like overkill, especially as i used to use my Ashdown MAG with them, but over the past 5 years ive done around 50 gigs with them, all good payers. plus, its a back up rig if my main one goes down.

I have Terror Bass and an sp210 for my gigs.. London Transport + a folding trolley = Easy.. I can kick out 500w with my rig and it's not heavy at all..

If you want life even easier. the markbass gear is even lighter.. Driving in central London is pointless, expensive (C charge, fuel, parking tickets/fees) and sometimes impossible to park you can't drink after the gig.. I only use my car for gig outside of London and then I try to car share before if you want. I'll only drive for recordings where I need alot of gear/basses etc.. and the budget is there