Why become a member? ×

what envelope filter? qtron?

fretmeister

[quote name='billphreets' post='960232' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:43 AM']not for me it hasnt... but each to their own..
im with you on the "it must have true bypass" being b******s though!! :)[/quote]

I don't agree. With true-bypass you have your signal passing directly trough the pedal without any interference from this. If the pedal's power (battery or psu) fails during a music you can simply turn the pedal off and keep playing - you can't do this with other pedals.

[quote name='51m0n' post='958102' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:30 AM']Watch some more of the videos explaining it on youtube, there are over 20 different takes on the concept (IIRC) which change over 20 different parameters in the model (that you cant access from the knobs), you then get a bunch of front panel controls over each one.[/quote]

I tend to find that, given a range of modelled effects, I will only end up using one or two of them, because I think they are the best-sounding ones. Whenever I come into contact with Line 6 gear, for example, this is my experience.

You could bundle a hundred or a thousand filter models into the same box but nobody would actually use them. The only benefit is that the chances of you liking [i]some sound[/i] that the thing makes increases. But once you find that sound you won't use the others.

Which is why I would rather find a good filter that I think sounds good that also has a ton of functional versatility - not just envelope control. As opposed to a giant box full of envelope-following filters, most of which I don't like, that don't do anything else.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='962107' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:02 PM']I tend to find that, given a range of modelled effects, I will only end up using one or two of them, because I think they are the best-sounding ones. Whenever I come into contact with Line 6 gear, for example, this is my experience.

You could bundle a hundred or a thousand filter models into the same box but nobody would actually use them. The only benefit is that the chances of you liking [i]some sound[/i] that the thing makes increases. But once you find that sound you won't use the others.

Which is why I would rather find a good filter that I think sounds good that also has a ton of functional versatility - not just envelope control. As opposed to a giant box full of envelope-following filters, most of which I don't like, that don't do anything else.[/quote]

But this doesnt have only envelope control.

It has hothand as well, and a high likelihood of a soon to be release hothand to expression pedal adapter too.

I think it is equally true with almost every envelope filter I've ever tried that there are only 1 or 2 go to settings on it. Everything else just 'not working' right. Heck, I've tried some and got nothing worthwhile out of them at all (bassballs - IMO the worst offender here).

These settings are generally forced by the sensitivity, after that you get up or down and blend (being rather crude about it, but you get my drift). So you get an up and a down, with differing blends (if you have that feature) and slightly different sensitivity settings. Thats usually about it really. A lot of the timbre is a feature of the detection circuitry (VCA, Opto, FET, Tube who knows) after all, and you cant change that whatever you do.

Now, given that I havent played with this yet I would say that with the same settings for sensitivity you will end up with a lot more timbres to choose from, given the number of different models, and some ofd those models will work better than others with different sensitivities, so you end up with more possible timbres to play with (surely????).

Each to their own, I just cant accept that there are more useable sounds in a more traditional envelope filter (even given an fx loop) than there are potentially in this box. Certainly not an envelope filter at this price point.

I could be wrong though!

[quote name='King Tut' post='954267' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:44 AM']I get on well with the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I use setting 2 (sub envelope follower I think). Alien on here(effects moderator) likes the sound of it!

Col[/quote]

I love the Digitech Synthwah, although as an envelope filter is a bit "meh", I feel. But then again I didn't get along with the DOD FX-25B I once had.

I own two envelope filters at the moment: an EHX micro Q-tron, and a MXR auto-Q. I like the auto-Q most of all. It's very versatile and it has this other "shimmering" effect you can blend which can be pretty cool.

[quote name='billphreets' post='959573' date='Sep 17 2010, 03:45 PM']but its digital![/quote]

when all the argument presented is this... there's no more argument :)

I can't care less about what technology is being used. If a pedal is made of potatoes and it sounds good... then it sounds good. Even if they're digital potatoes.

Edited by mcnach

I've been through a Qtron, Micro Qtron, Enigma Qballs, Bassballs, Boss AW-3, Digytech Synth wah and now I've settled with the MXR Bass Envelope Filter.
The biggest advantage of the MXR is that you're able to dial in the amount of dry and effect separately.
That way it has a sound that doesn't disappear when you're playing with a band.
Also, there are no harsh volume spikes like with any of the EHX ones or the Source Audio.
MXR would be my advice.

[quote name='mcnach' post='962320' date='Sep 20 2010, 03:54 PM']when all the argument presented is this... there's no more argument :)

I can't care less about what technology is being used. If a pedal is made of potatoes and it sounds good... then it sounds good. Even if they're digital potatoes.[/quote]

its not an argument , just my opinion..
give me knobs to tweak instead of sh*tty presets to trawl through any day of the week..

[quote name='billphreets' post='963206' date='Sep 21 2010, 12:29 PM']its not an argument , just my opinion..
give me knobs to tweak instead of sh*tty presets to trawl through any day of the week..[/quote]

Hahahaa, so what happens when you have a digital device with an analogue interface?

This has a bunch of analogue knobs on for you to play with, as well as presets to set up far more complex parameters than could realistically fit on a pedal....

Or what about an analogue device with digital control and an analogue interface to that control (FMR RNC springs to mind)?

Whats wrong with perfect recall anyway?

[quote name='51m0n' post='963258' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:19 PM']Hahahaa, so what happens when you have a digital device with an analogue interface?

This has a bunch of analogue knobs on for you to play with, as well as presets to set up far more complex parameters than could realistically fit on a pedal....

Or what about an analogue device with digital control and an analogue interface to that control (FMR RNC springs to mind)?

Whats wrong with perfect recall anyway?[/quote]
nothing wrong with it , was actually a pretty good film in its day :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='968370' date='Sep 26 2010, 02:16 PM']found this on tb, thought it was a good way of comparing, without downloading a bunch of individual soundlips.

i like the mod on the GR, might consider getting this done, ....Max ? :)

edit : mod - wise apparently the GR2 does this..[/quote]

I thought about moding mine too after seing the new GR models on the site. Anybody knows what mod is this and any info/specs/tutorial for it? I think it's only a blend knob inserted instead of the feedback switch...?!

Can't seem to find these for sale on the web yet - are they new?

[quote name='51m0n' post='957835' date='Sep 15 2010, 11:12 PM']STOP!!!

Wait, get one of [url="http://www.selectsoundsllc.com/bass-envelope.html"]these bad boys[/url]

Now struggling with the big kinda GAS that causes explosive decompression of the cranium :)

Here's the blurb:-

[i]The Bass Envelope Filter is a continuation of the evolving line of Source Audio effects optimized specifically for the bass guitar. There are 21 different envelope filter effects to choose from including 2 Pole and 4 Pole Low Pass variations, Single Peak, Triple Peak, Peak/Notch variations, as well as Phaser settings. Each of these settings can be further modified with a variety of control options including positive/negative filter sweeps, sweep range, attack and decay speed settings, or frequency range selection.[/i]

I love the soundblox stuff, and if the did it in a Pro box with the 6 recalls I'd be all over that like a case of terminal herpes....

[/quote]

Can you buy them anywhere yet?

I bought the Tri-Mod Wah last week and initial impressions are very good but there does seem to be a real drop in volume when you engage the pedal. Anyone else found this?

[quote name='51m0n' post='970389' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:40 AM']Very very very new indeed![/quote]

I agree on the Line6 comment :)

Im in the same boat too!

Ive had a digitech synth wah for about 4 years now and never found it useful in a live/jam situation. Ive used it once in the studio using some of the filters. Oh, and the countless hours in my room trying to find a decent sound from it! I think the only useable envelope is the sub-octave setting, even then theres still that volume drop (hence, sh*t for live) and the effect is just loads of rumble, with that slight top end 'wahh' which doesnt cut through.

If your after a 'funk' underwater envelope effect, in one small USEABLE box, that isnt to hard to find a setting that works.....like myself. Ive narrowed it down to 3. (well kinda)

For money, and ease of use theres the DOD FX-25 (or fx-25b, but an apparent volume drop has left me unsure)

Still good money for the nano version, but you can pay for what you require. The EHX Q-Tron.

And if you want as much control as the Q-Tron+ but want a smaller package, then you have the EBS BassIQ.

Hi Everyone,

Just checked into this thread here...my apologies for not jumping in sooner! (sidenote: PM received and replied regarding Tri-Mod Wah).

The Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter is slated for official release next week. It's been a massive success pre-sale with units ending up on the stage rigs for Mike Gordon of Phish, Kevin Walker of Prince/Justin Timberlake/Kanye and Jai Dillon of Jason Mraz. The enthusiasm seems to be pretty consistent across the board.

Since I'm seeing a good deal of conversation about the BEF happening here already, I'll leak a couple of our unlisted videos to you that really dig into the nitty gritty of how this pedal was made. They are from the Source Audio 'Tech Talk' series of interviews with our engineers. Enjoy!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='970411' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:55 AM']Can you buy them anywhere yet?

I bought the Tri-Mod Wah last week and initial impressions are very good but there does seem to be a real drop in volume when you engage the pedal. Anyone else found this?[/quote]

I got your PM earlier today about this...It could be the effect type that you are using since the pedal was not designed SPECIFICALLY for the bass. This video details a few ways to use the Soundblox Tri-Mod Wah with the bass. Hopefully it helps you and anyone else who may be having similar difficulties.

[quote name='itswac' post='982008' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:47 PM']Hi Everyone,

Just checked into this thread here...my apologies for not jumping in sooner! (sidenote: PM received and replied regarding Tri-Mod Wah).

/CUT/
[youtube/youtube]
[youtube/youtube]
/CUT/[/quote]

Cheers for that, as a software engineer as well as a bassist that was really interesting to watch!