Why become a member? ×

Where do you stick your fingers?

warwickhunt

Obviously most people vary where they pluck the string depending upon song requirement, mood, dynamics etc but whereabouts do you 'normally' position your string plucking fingers and what sort of music do you play?

I tend to anchor my thumb on the top of the bridge pup for a tighter tone and I play in a rock covers band. What about you?

usually front/P-bass pickup, for rock, metal and most pop stuff,

I go towards the bridge for snappier staccato funk things, and the end of the fingerboard for a dub tone, or for emulating a double bass.

I also sometimes use a pick for rock/pop, and pick near the bridge.

I suppose when I'm practicing, I tend to play mostly over the bridge pickup (Marcus Miller Jazz). But as I play in a covers band, I move my position depending on what the song requires, plus I'll use a plectrum. As I've also left the neck pickup cover on for aesthetic reasons, I'll either play in front or behind the cover again depending on what the song requires.

Over the pickup/maybe slightly behind (precision) for most stuff, or at the base of the neck to get a more upright feel/tone - playing nothing much but the Blues...
I seem to have completely forgotten how to use a pick - probably ought to do a bit more of that!

I've always gone for the front neck position and tend to stay there most of the time.

I'm learning and experimenting more with moving towards the bridge pickup not just for the tonal difference but also because there less string 'clatter' going on.

I have the pickup covers on my Rics and that suits my mono position playing :)

Guest TheBigBeefChief

On the Neck pick-up (P-Bass position) currently, but just about to recieve a Thunderbird Studio 4 so undecided on that. For me, its more amount comfort than tone. Basically I'm selfish and would rather be comfortable than sound good!

I've gone with the with neck pup position, because if I anchor my thumb, that tends to be where. Lately I'm using more of a floating thumb tech, resting my forearm on the top of the body, meaning my fingers are between the pups (on a Jazz, for example) with thumb occasionally on the string adjacent to the one I'm plucking.

Live I'm about 50/50 fingers & pick these days, depending on the song, but at home I seldom touch the pick, and usually playing in a seated posture, which again affects where my hand falls - so yes, it depends. :)

Jon.

I've gone for the P-pickup spot because that's where I like to rest/anchor my thumb.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='108916' date='Dec 24 2007, 01:56 PM']Lately I'm using more of a floating thumb tech, resting my forearm on the top of the body..[/quote]
Resting your forearm on the top edge of the body can lead to [i]carpal tunnel syndrome[/i]. Or so I've heard.
That said, I wish I could get some decent floating thumb action going down. Then I wouldn't be limiting my choice of basses and their respective pickup placements.

I switch between Bridge pickup and neck pickup constantly while gigging. All depends on the song though.

Its an MIM Jazz I gig with so it really does give a different sound depending where I anchor. Used to solely anchor on the Bridge pickup but started experimenting when I got my new cab and now I am all over the place lol!

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='108929' date='Dec 24 2007, 02:42 PM']I've gone for the P-pickup spot because that's where I like to rest/anchor my thumb.

Resting your forearm on the top edge of the body can lead to [i]carpal tunnel syndrome[/i]. Or so I've heard.
That said, I wish I could get some decent floating thumb action going down. Then I wouldn't be limiting my choice of basses and their respective pickup placements.[/quote]
That's a bit worrying - although thinking about it I can understand how that could develop. Time for a rethink, perhaps!

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to anhor mine above the neck pup, untill recently. I've been having a few refresher lessons and my teacher plays a 'ray, anchoring his thumb on the bridge PuP.

I really liked the sound and have started to do that, I've had to adjust more than just anchoring my thumb though, my fingers now curve over the string more as I have to dig in a lot more. I feel it's given me a more consistent one over the strings, that said, I do still move from time to time.