Why become a member? ×

Playing a Jazz and Precision

chriswilliams666

I had a similar query a few months back, only mine was to balance one active bass and one passive bass so I could have both ready to go on a gig.

I got a little A/B box with independent volume controls for each input - I bought it from here but as yet haven't had the chance to actually use it on a gig. If memory serves it's a Red Onion pedal. Something like that would probably give you what you need.

My research also highlighted the Boss LS-2 option which I think will also do what you need but I found it to be too complicated and expensive for my needs...

If you have more volume than you need through your rig with the P bass, could you not just roll the volume off on the instrument to match the jazz on full?

I am intending to use both a Jazz and a P at my next gig, mainly due to wanted muted flats and a bright sound for different covers, mine are opposite with the Jazz putting out more than my P

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='950183' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:31 AM']If you have more volume than you need through your rig with the P bass, could you not just roll the volume off on the instrument to match the jazz on full?[/quote]
This is a wise, wallet-friendly plan, but remember that you'll roll off a bit of top end as you turn the bass down.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='950185' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:32 AM']I'd go down the route of an eq pedal - you can probably pick one up for the same price as a decent AB box[/quote]

Talking of A/B boxes is there a good recommend one with foot selector switches?

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='950187' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:34 AM']This is a wise, wallet-friendly plan, but remember that you'll roll off a bit of top end as you turn the bass down.[/quote]

Or alternate have the gain/volume setting difference in your mind for each bass, and when you swap basses tweak that knob, it will only take another second, assuming your not on a 30' stage!

Hi. I have an easyish solution and an extra tool in the armoury.

Boss EQ20. :)

I take all sorts to gigs - tones and volumes are different.
The Boss has a "Direct" a "Manual" and a "Memory"

Not need to swap leads or touch the amp.
Set the two basses up in rehearsal P in direct, J in manual, or if you have
other basses you want to use, it has several memories.

Plug it in and away you go.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

The expensive (but really rather good) solution is to use something like a Radial Bassbone or a Sansamp BDDI Deluxe.

The Bassbone has two stomp-selectable inputs, each with its own EQ and Level, plus a few other goodies (like being an excellent DI box, etc.). Build quality is bullet-proof.

The BDDI Deluxe has two stomp-selectable inputs, each with access to three stomp-selectable presets with user-defined EQ and Level, plus a few other goodies (like being an excellent DI box, etc.).

Both can be used as pre-amps to drive a power amp direct.

The Bassbone defaults to a warm, clean tone so if you want a gritty valve-driven sound you're better off using the Sansamp.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='950218' date='Sep 9 2010, 08:33 AM']The BDDI Deluxe has two stomp-selectable inputs, each with access to three stomp-selectable presets with user-defined EQ and Level, plus a few other goodies (like being an excellent DI box, etc.).[/quote]
I used to have one of these, but I didn't like the way it scooped mids... It sounded amazing for recording - just plug in and go direct, but for live use, I wasn't so sure. But then again, I love my mids!

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='950630' date='Sep 9 2010, 02:07 PM']Can you get mixers with instrument inputs? I thought the jacks were always line level[/quote]
I use a Behringer mixer - the inputs are described as line inputs but the gain available is quite sufficient to bring an instrument-level input up to line level.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='950660' date='Sep 9 2010, 02:31 PM']Ah ok, so do you bypass the preamp in your amp then?[/quote]
No, but that is a thought.

The fact that the input level is about 15% of line level doesn't matter as there's enough gain on the input side to mean there's an adequate signal passing through the mixer. I send the output to the bass amp at effectively instrument level. While it might be more effective to send the signal to the return side of the effects loop, with the particular band that I'm using multiple basses with, I'm also sending a DI from the amp to the PA and I think that comes before the effects loop , though I may be wrong.