Why become a member? ×

Fodera 2010 price list

CHRISDABASS

After all this, id love to see and play one of these. Just to see how good they are.

I bet if they werent made in such a well regarded city as New York, you wouldnt be paying so much. I cant see the attraction being the same if they were made in the back streets of Scunthorpe. :)

Has anyone got one of these basses on here?

I've enjoyed this debate.

It raises a great question. Would you buy say a 3 grand handbag as a present or a Fodera bass for someone else (not related to you) or would you buy them something nice yet adequate?

I think that what this running argument boils down to is that you have some people who enjoy spending their accrued wealth on themselves because they justify worth based on how luxurious an item is. And there are others who's sense of worth might be more acutely directed towards "bang for buck" and where best to allocate funds. Presumably (in theory) if they were in the same situation financially they would put it to better use, perhaps buy something "nice yet adequate" for themselves and put what's left over toward something that is needed more. Can you get a nice bass and dialysis machine for the price of a Fodera?

Luxury is something you have to pay for. Do we need luxury. No. What is luxury? Luxury is a level of service or comfort. Is a 3 grand handbag more comfortable than a Primark one. No. Is a Fodera bass more comfortable than a 2 grand custom made job? No. Does it even sound better? No.
These luxuries are displays of how comfortable their life is in general. And as these items perform an identical physical function as their cheaper counterparts, presumably the "enjoyment" comes from knowing that others recognise these displays.

Edited by Ou7shined

All i'm thinking is that dick, Robert Trujillo's gonna end up playing one.

Its going to be only the mega, popular bands that can afford them. I think your very lucky if you got a 2nd one prior to this because the people buying the new ones are gonna take a mammoth hit on em. I think if you wanna go that good just get a GB and have done with it. I think Fodera are great, the chap from Jethro Tull plays one but you gotta buy your instrument within reason - they ain't Stratovarious. Stratovarious is a company that would appeal to an Indian Princess/Celebrity etc. not Fodera.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='969120' date='Sep 27 2010, 12:38 AM']Jason from Fodera posted on their pricing model on TB:

4. Options like solid tops (on our Elite instruments), exotic wood tops, 5-piece necks (or 9 or even 11 piece necks), matching wooden pickup covers, complicated inlays, Brazilian Rosewood FB's, wooden back plates, etc. all make the instruments highly personal, but they do NOT add to their playability and/or tone.[/quote]
Awesome, Fodera says Brazilian Rosewood won't change your tone :) Respect!

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='969152' date='Sep 27 2010, 01:26 AM']I'm not telling you to "shut up", I'm telling you that you need to get over this chip you have on your shoulder.[/quote]
If he does will you try to? Please don't make this forum like the other one you argue endlessly on for years and years and years. Can't you just get over it? It would be like applying your advice to yourself, it would be awesome.

You've never accepted criticism before, let this be the first time. Do it for the children!!!

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='969381' date='Sep 27 2010, 12:42 PM']I don't really see it as bizarre because I work in a time unitsed environment. My time has a certain value that would be paid by someone if it was not being used by you. Therefore, you pay the going rate for my time. I'd imagine that's basically how Fodera came to their option pricing. If someone wasn't using Vinnie's time on making a pickguard, it would be being used to make a bass (as they have a 2 year waiting list). They arn't going to make their bass customers wait even longer for basses because they are now making $25 hand cut pickguards. That said, I still think their pricing is more than I would pay, but then again, I am not their target audience (at least not at the moment!) :)[/quote]

That makes sense when you're providing a service. Not when you're purchasing a product.

I appreciate that the guys at Fodera are incredibly skilled craftsmen. But you're not getting the full force of that skill applied to the pickguard. There's only so many ways to cut plastic.

Again, what that indicates to me is that Fodera customers have a pretty liberal attitude to what they'll pay for stuff.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='970304' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:46 AM']If he does will you try to?[/quote]

Kinda painted yourself into a pretty silly corner with your phrasing didn't you? (yawn).

Seems like there's plenty of chips on the shoulder to go around. Thanks for the feedback though. Its been duly noted and filed.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='970334' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:36 AM']No, I didn't.[/quote]

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

[quote]But please, don't make the tens of thousands of posts here you do over there. You can live your life without correcting everything on the internet.[/quote]

You let me worry about how I live my life. It's not that hard to avoid reading my posts, hell even you might be able to figure it out one day....

Now, put your little ePenis away and go back to arguing endlessly about animal cruelty or something. You've got nothing of value to add here.

Edited by Mark Latimour

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='970340' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:43 AM']You let me worry about how I live my life.[/quote]

Oddly though, that's not the attitude you extend towards others - you clearly worry about how they live theirs and have no qualms about telling them how to do so!

A slight case of double standards perhaps?

Doesn't seem to be much content about Fodera and their prices on this thread now....

For what it's worth, my opinion on their prices is that I am happy for them to charge whatever they like! I have no interest in them or their instruments - except that I would love to try one, just to see what all the hype is about. I have no desire to ever own one. But maybe that's just inverse snobbery on my part? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='970343' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:51 AM']Oddly though, that's not the attitude you extend towards others - you clearly worry about how they live theirs and have no qualms about telling them how to do so!

A slight case of double standards perhaps?[/quote]

I'm happy for people, like our friend the G String to offer advice. There is no guarantee it will be accepted. That's the same way I offer my advice.

[quote]Doesn't seem to be much content about Fodera and their prices on this thread now....[/quote]

Agreed, seems like someone just wanted to resurrect the thread this morning to troll. Seems kinda pointless to me, but hey, if that's what gets people excited...

[quote]For what it's worth, my opinion on their prices is that I am happy for them to charge whatever they like! I have no interest in them or their instruments - except that I would love to try one, just to see what all the hype is about. I have no desire to ever own one. But maybe that's just inverse snobbery on my part? :)[/quote]

I agree, but having played one I kinda get what the hype is about. Personally I think there are instruments that offer pretty much the same level of quality and craftsmanship for a lot less. But, if you want a Fodera there is only one way to get one and you have to pay... I can't see myself paying the cost of admission anytime soon.

[quote]That makes sense when you're providing a service. Not when you're purchasing a product. I appreciate that the guys at Fodera are incredibly skilled craftsmen. But you're not getting the full force of that skill applied to the pickguard. There's only so many ways to cut plastic.[/quote]

I can totally see why you'd say that, but I disagree in this case. Products and services in the custom world are intertwined and you can't separate one from the other in quite the same way as a ready made product in the supermarket. When you ask them to make a pickguard, they will have to spend x units of time making it. Now, irrespective of how hard that is relative to making a bass, that is still [i]their [/i]time and you are paying for a highly regarded luthier's time to make something.

I also work in a unitised work environment, where my work charges by the hour. There are some jobs that will take me an hour that are small but quite hard work, and there are others that will take me an hour that are relatively easy but simply time consuming - we still charge the same for both jobs regardless of difficulty because however long it took me is however long it took me, there's more to the equation than perceived difficulty of the job (assuming I wasn't arsing about for 50mins :)).

[quote name='mcgraham' post='970348' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:58 AM']I can totally see why you'd say that, but I disagree in this case. Products and services in the custom world are intertwined and you can't separate one from the other in quite the same way as a ready made product in the supermarket. When you ask them to make a pickguard, they will have to spend x units of time making it. Now, irrespective of how hard that is relative to making a bass, that is still [i]their [/i]time and you are paying for a highly regarded luthier's time to make something.

I also work in a unitised work environment, where my work charges by the hour. There are some jobs that will take me an hour that are small but quite hard work, and there are others that will take me an hour that are relatively easy but simply time consuming - we still charge the same for both jobs regardless of difficulty because however long it took me is however long it took me, there's more to the equation than perceived difficulty of the job (assuming I wasn't arsing about for 50mins :)).[/quote]

I see what you're saying, and I do understand the idea of unitised work, but I guess what I'm saying is, it makes sense to spend four grand (or however much) on a high-quality handmade custom bass, because to make high-quality custom basses you have to bring the full force of your experience and talent as a craftsman to bear on the task, and the customer is paying for that level of expertise as well as the materials and labour.

But charging $500 for a pickguard because the luthier made it is like charging $1,000 for shipping because the luthier delivered the bass himself. As in, the customer isn't actually getting any kind of value for money for it. The quality of the item doesn't increase proportionally to the increase in cost. The work experience guy might be capable of cutting the same pickguard in exactly the same way, to the same standard.

Again, I'm not saying that Fodera shouldn't charge $500 for a bit of cut plastic. What I'm saying is that people who'd pay $500 for a bit of cut plastic are nuts, regadless of what the guy who made it charges per hour.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='970382' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:36 AM']Again, I'm not saying that Fodera shouldn't charge $500 for a bit of cut plastic. What I'm saying is that people who'd pay $500 for a bit of cut plastic are nuts, regadless of what the guy who made it charges per hour.[/quote]

Max - your point does't exactly hold. Noone is spending $500 on just a pickguard... they're also spending $5K on the bass that comes attached to the pickguard. I don't think I need to add more exposition to that.

[quote name='Toasted' post='970393' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:42 AM']Max - your point does't exactly hold. Noone is spending $500 on just a pickguard... they're also spending $5K on the bass that comes attached to the pickguard. I don't think I need to add more exposition to that.[/quote]

Their website lists the pickguard as a $500 option. If you don't order the pickguard, they don't make you one and your order comes to $500 less. In real terms, that adds up to spending $500 on a pickguard. Even if I was dropping five grand on a bass, I'd be dubious about spending an extra ten per cent of the bill on a bit of plastic.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='970403' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:48 AM']Their website lists the pickguard as a $500 option. If you don't order the pickguard, they don't make you one and your order comes to $500 less. In real terms, that adds up to spending $500 on a pickguard. Even if I was dropping five grand on a bass, I'd be dubious about spending an extra ten per cent of the bill on a bit of plastic.[/quote]

If you have $5K to spend on a bass, and you want one with a pickguard the whole bass now costs $5500. That's not the same as the pickguard costing $500.

[quote name='Toasted' post='970419' date='Sep 28 2010, 10:06 AM']If you have $5K to spend on a bass, and you want one with a pickguard the whole bass now costs $5500. That's not the same as the pickguard costing $500.[/quote]

Yeah, it is. That's exactly what it is. The whole thing costs $5,500, and the bass without the pickguard costs $5,000. Do the math.

You want to make a sandwich, the ingredients cost £4.00. You decide you want to add some cheese to your sandwich, so the ingredients now cost £5.00. That's [i]exactly the same thing[/i] as the cheese costing £1.00.

My take on it is that they are what they are.... Boutique instruments.

If I wanted a Ferrari, I would pay £100K and not question if the steel was any better quality than my Fiesta. If I wanted a house in central London, I would pay £1M + and not wonder if the brick were made of Amazonian Virgin's spit.....

If I wanted a Fodera AJ Presentation (which I do), I would pay £15K (which I cant).....

You pays your money and takes your choice.....

[quote name='maxrossell' post='970428' date='Sep 28 2010, 10:15 AM']Yeah, it is. That's exactly what it is. The whole thing costs $5,500, and the bass without the pickguard costs $5,000. Do the math.

You want to make a sandwich, the ingredients cost £4.00. You decide you want to add some cheese to your sandwich, so the ingredients now cost £5.00. That's [i]exactly the same thing[/i] as the cheese costing £1.00.[/quote]
You'd pay £5 for a sandwich? :lol:

:)