Why become a member? ×

Bless me father for I have sinned

Golchen

As a bit of background I am just one of these sad bedroom players who pretends to be a real musician. I’m also one of these weird mortals who thinks that he’s a multi-instrumentalist. It’s weird, but I’ve totally lost the buzz of playing bass. I’ve been delving greatly into the dark world of 6 string widdling almost exclusively, with some keyboardy stuff going on as well and a bit of drumming and acoustic guitar thrown in – but no bass. I need to get my ZAP! Back for bass playing, I’m sure that I’ve forgotten chunks of stuff that I was working on :)

What can I do to inspire me again????

If you want to take the Rockstar school of though then a large quantity of drugs will work :)

But seriously, I had a similar thing happen to me, I started to play 6 string and to my shame even Ukelele more than the bass.

I just dropped everything for about 3/4 months and when I decided to play again what was the first thing I picked up? My bass!

A break can be really good for you musically.

Provided that your playing something is OK so long as you keep your musical chops up. I recently moved house, went on holiday and have an ongoing family crisis all of which has resulted in me not playing much at all. Perhaps if I spent less time on BC and more on the bass....................

This has happened to me. Sometimes i prefer the guitar, the drums or the bass. You tend to go through phases. This is why i like playing more than one instrument because otherwise i might have got sick if i'd just felt i'd had to play one instrument all the time. It's good to take a break from stuff and go back to them every once in a while too i reckon.

I've been thru that phase (no, not the ampeg one!) & you'll come back to bass later.
I did when I was asked to join a band after having a short break from playing anything (was writing music on computer tho).

Just now I am playing more guitar than bass, but that's only because the church asks it of me. I'm not getting as much playing as I want to tho!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='949037' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:30 AM']are you not in a band Golch.maybe try and get involved...[/quote]

This. I also play a variety of instruments to different standards, and for me at least, bass guitar is the instrument I play [b]with other people[/b]. For solo playing, there are other instruments that I find more rewarding (in my case keyboards, accordion and melodeon), and for me the bass really only comes into its own when played as part of a group, but in that situation there's nothing I'd rather be playing.