Why become a member? ×

Because......., just because

essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='943883' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:14 PM']Wonder how many bands transpose this to C from C# ...

T[/quote]

I'm sure the last time I played this at a reading gig it was written with 3 or 4 flats (Eb/Ab) maybe? (Using Ab Mixolydian/Ab Major by alternating between G natural and Gb)

It was a long time ago though. Can't really remember :S

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='944002' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:16 PM']I'm sure the last time I played this at a reading gig it was written with 3 or 4 flats (Eb/Ab) maybe? (Using Ab Mixolydian/Ab Major by alternating between G natural and Gb)

It was a long time ago though. Can't really remember :S[/quote]

Had a busk along with it earlier and found the recording above in C#. Perhaps the gig you were doing had it transposed for the evening ?

The record doesn't give me the impression that the speed has been messed around with, as it sounds clear and steady. Mind you, I could always be wrong, as I havn't checked the song's history properly. They could have gigged it in Eb or Ab perhaps ?

T

.......'superstar but he did n't get far'........

An absolute belter.

Although I preferred her Motown era stuff, she continued to make classic recordings after she'd left the label -
this tune being one of them, along with 'Come back and finish what you started', 'Best thing that ever happened to me'
and 'Baby dont change your mind' (all of which featured great bass lines too).
Love 'em.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='944009' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:29 PM']Had a busk along with it earlier and found the recording above in C#. Perhaps the gig you were doing had it transposed for the evening ?

The record doesn't give me the impression that the speed has been messed around with, as it sounds clear and steady. Mind you, I could always be wrong, as I havn't checked the song's history properly. They could have gigged it in Eb or Ab perhaps ?

T[/quote]

The music I have for it has it with 5 flats which is Db, same as C#.

[quote name='spike' post='944170' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:05 AM']The music I have for it has it with 5 flats which is Db, same as C#.[/quote]

Went back and had a look, you're right. It's Db. I was only one out (and it was about 4 years ago that I last read it) lol

Great Tune, with great musicianship and top vocals...

Bob Babbit on Bass.
In fact he played on tons of stuff around that time, more than likely as much as Jamerson.
Certainly a lot of biggies.

From his site
“Signed, Sealed, Delivered” (Stevie Wonder), “The Tears of a Clown” (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles), “Mercy Mercy Me” (Marvin Gaye), “Ball of Confusion” (the Temptations), “I Got a Name” (Jim Croce) and “Midnight Train to Georgia” (Gladys Knight & the Pips.

In fact the list goes on and on...!

Garry