Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray

guybrush threepwood

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='932088' date='Aug 21 2010, 06:11 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80942&st=0"]This[/url] thread might help Pete. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks for that im going to have a listen tomorrow as I have friends round at the moment and wont listen properly.Ta

Has your JE pre amp arrived yet mcnash? I bet it will sound good and worthy of a sound clip :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='932196' date='Aug 21 2010, 08:06 PM']Thanks for that im going to have a listen tomorrow as I have friends round at the moment and wont listen properly.Ta

Has your JE pre amp arrived yet mcnash? I bet it will sound good and worthy of a sound clip :)[/quote]

Arrived yesterday, but I wasn't in and today I couldn't go to pick it up... so earliest will be Monday. There will be before & after clips, don't worry :rolleyes:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='932196' date='Aug 21 2010, 08:06 PM']Thanks for that im going to have a listen tomorrow as I have friends round at the moment and wont listen properly.Ta

Has your JE pre amp arrived yet mcnash? I bet it will sound good and worthy of a sound clip :)[/quote]

I had a listen yesterday and I prefer the tone of the 2 band, it's more rounded and, as McNach has said, more P on steroids alike. I discovered this already years ago from my 2 band SUB against my old 3 band US Ray (and now Ray34) but it's good to be reminded and to have them demoable side by side at a touch of a button.

I just had a listen and they are all ace at the end of the day! :)
You can hear the funk trying to get out of the 2 band fingers which is kind of where the pre EB sounds most like to me but smoother with more punch on the lows and the highs,It would of been great to have had a pre there on the day to see what it sounded like with all the settings the same.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='932088' date='Aug 21 2010, 06:11 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80942&st=0"]This[/url] thread might help Pete. :rolleyes:[/quote]
It's really interesting to hear the difference; the 2EQ seems a lot smoother, but for my personal taste I love more 'aggressive' mids. :)

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='932112' date='Aug 21 2010, 06:42 PM']that's exactly what happened to me in 1984 and i've never looked back - here's the proof.....
this baby was in factory fresh condition when i bought it - all it needed was a bit of mojo, which i was happy to apply.
great choice - i hopy are both very happy together and that you never have a cross word without making up before bed time!!![/quote]
That is lovely! I tried one in that finish in the shop, and the difference between it and the one I bought was so slim, however my precision is natural ash / maple fingerboard, so I thought I'd go for a little variety. And I'm a sucker for the extra warmth of rosewood!

I used it at a wedding gig last night and it was an absolute joy; despite only having it a couple of days it was amazingly easy to play - I feel like I've owned it for years! I'm completely set up for that band now - my p-bass does all the motown and soul numbers, while the ray handles the funk and disco!

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='932665' date='Aug 22 2010, 12:16 PM']I used it at a wedding gig last night and it was an absolute joy; despite only having it a couple of days it was amazingly easy to play - I feel like I've owned it for years! I'm completely set up for that band now - my p-bass does all the motown and soul numbers, while the ray handles the funk and disco![/quote]

Glad you are enjoying it. The necks are lovely.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='931656' date='Aug 21 2010, 09:29 AM']I made a rather rash and impulsive purchase a couple of days ago; I was in a shop in Leeds trying out different basses, and after playing many Fenders, Sandbergs and an Ibanez ATK I picked up a Stingray. I've never played one before (I did have a cheap copy as my first bass, but that was terrible) and I was blown away by the feel, sound, articulation, build quality and, most of all, the range of tones available from that one pickup! It can be tight and snappy or warm and loose, simply depending on where you place your right hand, but it always maintains that incredible growl. Then add in the EQ and there's such a massive range of tones there. Also, the neck is quite fat, but [i]so[/i] comfortable and fast - it just fills the hand beautifully.

I hadn't planned on buying a bass that day... but well, it had to be done. :) I tried out 5 of them, including a five string, and a Sterling (which I didn't really like the feel of - the body was too small for me), and I picked my favourite.

After thinking that they were overpriced (as they look quite a 'simple' bass when compared with others in their price range), I am now a complete convert!

Anyway, sorry about the terrible iphone photo - a friend has my camera at the moment.
[attachment=57126:Stingray.jpg][/quote]

I now have the 2EQ version of this bass on its way, albeit it with the normal natural headstock. I love this colour on a Ray....great quality.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='935063' date='Aug 24 2010, 05:51 PM']I now have the 2EQ version of this bass on its way, albeit it with the normal natural headstock. I love this colour on a Ray....great quality.[/quote]
Yeah,I love it too, but I'm considering changing the scratchplate for a tort one though... If I can find somewhere that sells Stingray scratchplates!

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='935068' date='Aug 24 2010, 05:54 PM']Yeah,I love it too, but I'm considering changing the scratchplate for a tort one though... If I can find somewhere that sells Stingray scratchplates![/quote]
Have you tried BP I am told hes real helpful :)

I had a similar experience to the OP, i went into a shop to buy a warwick in 1995 ,tried all the most expensive ones there. I then picked up and plugged in the only stingray (second hand with bartolini pickup) there, i immediately forgot all about warwicks and bought the stingray.

I'd a kinda similar experience in my formative years. Had been plugging away learning on my old Westone Thunder, visited Sound Control in Glasgow (this was in the mid 80s when it was in the Saltmarket). Thought I'd chance my arm and try a couple of high enders (for me at the time) a Wal Custom and a 'Ray. The Wal was probably about double the price of the 'Ray at the time, looked gorgeous, but I couldn't get on with the EQ, 100 different variations on a goose farting in the fog (to paraphrase Billy Connoly). Tried the 'Ray, felt great, plugged in and immediately got a great sound, as previously stated, tweaks on the EQ and hand position merely enhanced the range available. Do not underestimate the power of a good simple, 'right' design.

Over 20 years on, and after working my way up through the old Westone, a MIJ Precision, now finally have a fretless 'Ray in natural ash with lined Pau Ferro board, and it's absolutely wonderful, so much so that I'm considering bumping my main fretted grail (a Steiny XL2) for a fretted 'Ray.

Great start to a thread. Sum's it up well.

I an a convert too after purchasing a 2EQ Ray from a friend some years ago. He said he had one for sale. At the time I wasn't thinking of buying another bass. I had it on load for some gigs and just fell in love with it. Have never looked back.

Glad to hear you are a convert, now you need to fully prove it by changing your avatar showing you with your Ray and not the Fender!

[quote name='mep' post='939597' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:01 PM']Great start to a thread. Sum's it up well.

I an a convert too after purchasing a 2EQ Ray from a friend some years ago. He said he had one for sale. At the time I wasn't thinking of buying another bass. I had it on load for some gigs and just fell in love with it. Have never looked back.

Glad to hear you are a convert, now you need to fully prove it by changing your avatar showing you with your Ray and not the Fender![/quote]
Haha, all in good time... :) Need to get my camera back first

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='940107' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:08 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U...feature=related[/url]

The next time I hear a weak G or that a roasted neck is needed im just going to post this,In fact I might just post it even if it has no relevance! :)[/quote]

Ha! I have the DVD.
Scary. In a good way.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='940107' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:08 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U...feature=related[/url]

The next time I hear a weak G or that a roasted neck is needed im just going to post this,In fact I might just post it even if it has no relevance! :)[/quote]
Blinking flip! I wonder how long he gets between re-frets? :rolleyes:

Can't open link on mobile but I'm guessing its Louis Johnson - right ?

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='940160' date='Aug 30 2010, 06:08 PM']Can't open link on mobile but I'm guessing its Louis Johnson - right ?[/quote]

The very one and only.

I love the bit when he starts talking about how he got into his technique... first he hit strings hard with one finger... but he broke the finger... and he carries on breaking fingers and hitting with various combinations of digits, with the palm... amusing to watch, and very impressive.

watch here:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5IFyo0k0Q"]Louis Johnson[/url]

the bit I'm talking about starts at around 5:40... the sound on this video is not great but it's what I could find...