Why become a member? ×

Secondhand Bass Head from shop

3V17C

hmmm just wondering peoples thoughts on this..

My current bass head has been making funny noises lately so I recently bought online a pre-owned well known brand/reasonably pricey bass head from a reputable/established dealer. Trouble is, when it arrived, it didn't work!! The shop I got it from was fine about it assuring me they had tested it etc and fair enough they arranged painlessly for it to be collected for return to them so their repair guy could have a look at it. Trouble is, that was over 3 weeks ago now and its still not been sorted out. I think now I'd like my money back so I can go and buy something else as I'm gigging regularly and need a new amp pronto (I paid on credit card) Where do I stand on this...? thoughts people..?

peace

c

I have a law degree as it happens. The OP should be entitled to his money back, but the shop are first entitled to take 'a reasonable time' to inspect the goods to see if they can repair.
It doesn't matter legally if he's being inconvenienced now, but if he starts a Small Claim then he can ask for recompense for it.
I'd send them a letter stating the facts and giving them 7 days to state what they are going to do to assist.
They may be waiting for parts and have forgotten to tell him.
After 7 days I'd be talking to the credit card people.
If they can't help, and they have quite a lot of clout with retailers, I'd start a small claim in the county court and cvlaim interest for the entire period of loss

[quote name='Toddy' post='930739' date='Aug 20 2010, 11:25 AM']If it didnt work,,, ie,, not fit for purpose,,,, yeah,, course you are entitled to your money back,,, :)[/quote]

+1 . Money back, end of!

[quote name='solofunkyjazz' post='930900' date='Aug 20 2010, 01:37 PM']Tell them about this thread.

Bad publicity generally works wonders.[/quote]

MB1. :)
..Indeed the mere mention of "Basschat" has had many a Sales assistant!... ordering you the wrong item! :rolleyes:
...Sorry Ped!...Couldnt Resist!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Geek99' post='930857' date='Aug 20 2010, 01:02 PM']I have a law degree as it happens. The OP should be entitled to his money back, but the shop are first entitled to take 'a reasonable time' to inspect the goods to see if they can repair.[/quote]

My understanding of the law is that IF you accept a repair being done you automatically lose a lot of your rights to a refund later. BUT the law is defintely different when it comes to used gear.

I've just taken a valve bass head for an overhaul & I'll be getting told by Monday what's wrong & how much. Three weeks is a bit strong to have no answer.

Has the OP told the shop that you'd like a refund in the off-chance that you find something else, but you'll take it back if they can fix it before you do??

PS. you're not talking Music Ground are you??? :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='930916' date='Aug 20 2010, 01:46 PM']My understanding of the law is that IF you accept a repair being done you automatically lose a lot of your rights to a refund later. BUT the law is defintely different when it comes to used gear.

I've just taken a valve bass head for an overhaul & I'll be getting told by Monday what's wrong & how much. Three weeks is a bit strong to have no answer.

Has the OP told the shop that you'd like a refund in the off-chance that you find something else, but you'll take it back if they can fix it before you do??

PS. you're not talking Music Ground are you??? :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..That last sentence speaks Volumes!......or perhaps doesnt in this case?.............................................Coat Collected!

Edited by MB1

no not Music Ground.. in fact a shop that I thought had a good reputation.

Last Friday I emailed to see what the score was and was told 'I am just waiting on my repair guy to get back to me'

I give it a week, and email again today (now over 3 weeks since initially receiving amp) and got this reply: 'My repair guy has been on holiday for the past couple of weeks I am afraid, I will check again this weekend with him.'

Didn't think to mention to me before to me that the repair guy was on holiday for two weeks?! hmmmmmm....

peace

c

Dont spend any money on doing anything, Pop in to your local Citizens Advice Beureu they are very good with these kind of things,Lots of people have lots of qualifications in all sorts of stuff but finding the right ones is best and this is their bread and butter stuff and if you tell the shop after what they said you will find it normally sorts it! Halfords tried all that company policy crap with me years ago with a car cd player they had for 7 weeks for repair! In the end I agreed to a different model that was actually worth more but end of line (with full guarantee).Small claims isnt worth it unless there was a high value involved and it does not sound like you have gone that far wrong yet,Just give them a shove "He who shouts loudest wins".

hmmm still waiting on the amp and now i get this regarding the amp tech:

[i]My normal guy injured himself a few weeks ago and nearly died. I have another guy who is great but did not tell me he was going away!
Anyway, he is coming in on Thursday to pickup your amp. I am sorry for the delay but am doing my best to get it sorted. I hope you understand ;-)[/i]

of course if the repair guy has been away for two weeks he's gonna have two weeks worth of work to catch up on before he gets round to looking at my amp i'm guessing!!
bah.

c

I would ask them to lend you an amp if you need one in the meantime. Most shops would do that. If not, let it ride for a while longer. The trouble is that most shops have a guy they use who they rely on but, as they have indicated, things happen and delays can occur (it is credible for a repair guy to have gone on holiday in August, after all :)). I had an American amp in for repair once (many years ago) and the delay was caused by the repair guy having trouble accessing a circuit diagram from the manufacturer (this was pre-email). It got done in the end and the amp caused me no more trouble.

Three weeks is no time, really. Try ordering a sofa!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='934464' date='Aug 24 2010, 09:27 AM']I would ask them to lend you an amp if you need one in the meantime. Most shops would do that. If not, let it ride for a while longer. The trouble is that most shops have a guy they use who they rely on but, as they have indicated, things happen and delays can occur (it is credible for a repair guy to have gone on holiday in August, after all :)). I had an American amp in for repair once (many years ago) and the delay was caused by the repair guy having trouble accessing a circuit diagram from the manufacturer (this was pre-email). It got done in the end and the amp caused me no more trouble.

Three weeks is no time, really. Try ordering a sofa![/quote]

Good advice bilbo. I had the same experience and went down a courteous and understanding route. I ended up getting a new amp as the shop couldn't find the fault! If it goes on for too long however it is time to start becoming more assertive. All the best!