Why become a member? ×

Pup slightly out of alignment. Should i be worried?

dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='912204' date='Aug 1 2010, 08:08 PM']....Two so far, one a DJ5 early this year and recently a JO4. Really bad pickup cutouts on the guards as well. So far I've tried to buy 5 Laklands and sent them all back....[/quote]
Have you found a Lakland that didn't have any faults?

[quote name='chris_b' post='912374' date='Aug 1 2010, 11:49 PM']Have you found a Lakland that didn't have any faults?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. One was very close to the standard I'd expect for the amount of players who state they never have issues with them.

The price point of some of them just don't really match the level of attention they give the Skylines. Pre 08 modern Fenders probably let Lakland gain a huge following, and I still like their basses, but I've been unlucky.

Personally I think before the Skylines became quite commercially accepted, they were given much better attention to detail.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='gjones' post='912389' date='Aug 2 2010, 12:24 AM']Hmmmm, if you're not paying for attention to detail when you pay £400 to £500 extra for a MIA Fender what are you paying for?

Billy Bob and Betty Lou's health and pension plans I assume?[/quote]

I agree, you still have to make sure you get a good bass, eg check it over. But I'd apply that to virtually all basses now. Shame really.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='912390' date='Aug 2 2010, 12:25 AM']....Unfortunately not. One was very close to the standard I'd expect for the amount of players who state they never have issues with them....[/quote]
So every Lakland you've tried has had faults that required the bass to be returned!

That is unlucky!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='912422' date='Aug 2 2010, 01:42 AM']So every Lakland you've tried has had faults that required the bass to be returned!

That is unlucky!![/quote]

Believe it or not, yes! Incredibly bad luck, or im expecting more.

At first I just thought I was being picky, then, for example, when I showed the last JO4 I tried to buy to the store, they could not believe the size of the neck pocket. It was HUGE.

I have in fact spoken to John @ Lakland and he is shocked but agrees that every fault I found is not acceptable on an instrument between £900-£1200 (JO4-DJ5 price range).

But, as Dave has found, there are new Fenders with similar problems.

I expect good things when the hype around products is high, but now Im learning I need to just ignore it and try one first, (whether that be amp, cab or bass).

[quote name='Musicman20' post='912518' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:32 AM']Believe it or not, yes! Incredibly bad luck, or im expecting more.

At first I just thought I was being picky, then, for example, when I showed the last JO4 I tried to buy to the store, they could not believe the size of the neck pocket. It was HUGE.

I have in fact spoken to John @ Lakland and he is shocked but agrees that every fault I found is not acceptable on an instrument between £900-£1200 (JO4-DJ5 price range).

But, as Dave has found, there are new Fenders with similar problems.

I expect good things when the hype around products is high, but now Im learning I need to just ignore it and try one first, (whether that be amp, cab or bass).[/quote]

Yeah, you've had some pretty bad luck with the Laklands. I feel im starting down that path with the fenders.

For what its worth my DJ5 was perfect, as were doth my DD's and 55-01.

Ive had a email from the shop and they are picking it up tomorrow. I dont know what their plans are but for now they seem happy to try and sort it out. I hope its not going to drag on as ive only had it for just over a week. I guess it might be back to the Squier for a few gigs.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='912528' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:44 AM']Yeah, you've had some pretty bad luck with the Laklands. I feel im starting down that path with the fenders.

For what its worth my DJ5 was perfect, as were doth my DD's and 55-01.

Ive had a email from the shop and they are picking it up tomorrow. I dont know what their plans are but for now they seem happy to try and sort it out. I hope its not going to drag on as ive only had it for just over a week. I guess it might be back to the Squier for a few gigs.[/quote]

Hmm, are they planning on swapping it out?

Exactly my thoughts. A lot of players have had great Laklands....which is why I thought I would have no problem getting one. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='912531' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:47 AM']Hmm, are they planning on swapping it out?

Exactly my thoughts. A lot of players have had great Laklands....which is why I thought I would have no problem getting one. :)[/quote]

Im not sure what they plan to do although ive emailed them to ask. I expect the will want to look at it first (although i have sent the pics)

I must admit i would be more upset if this had been a lakland for some reason. I guess with the smaller companies its less excusable. im now just worried i might be without the bass for a while.
Im pretty sure they dont have the same model in stock as i got the last one. If they do try and fix it then it would need a new pick guard, as while it easy enough to file the original down, it would leave some pretty big gaps and thats not acceptable either.

I'll keep you all posted.

I'd be surprised if the pickguard is at fault, it sounds/looks like the body router was just badly aligned on that particular instrument, which will give problems down the road if you want to swap certain components around, or with re-sale value. At the price you've paid I'd be looking for a replacement unless the tone is unusually monstrous.
EDIT: I've just realised that it's more likely the pickguard/neck is slightly mis-aligned, either of which would require redrilling. Again I'd just want one that was right first time.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='912651' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:51 AM']I'd be surprised if the pickguard is at fault, it sounds/looks like the body router was just badly aligned on that particular instrument, which will give problems down the road if you want to swap certain components around, or with re-sale value. At the price you've paid I'd be looking for a replacement unless the tone is unusually monstrous.
EDIT: I've just realised that it's more likely the pickguard/neck is slightly mis-aligned, either of which would require redrilling. Again I'd just want one that was right first time.[/quote]

Cheers.

Yes, its going to have to be returned looking spot on if they are going to sort it out themselves. I dont want any extra space around the pups.

I'm not sure if its noticeable in the pic (and sorry for not rotating it before posting it) but the two pups are not centered with each other. While the neck might be out a a bit (not that i can tell, the strings are in line with the edges) putting a straight edge along the top of both pups shows it goes up towards the neck. I would expect it to be going down as the neck pup is slightly shorter.

Because the PG and neck pup do fit together fine it could well be the bridge pup. I just want them both in line as they should be.

Edited by dave_bass5

Just a quick update.
Ive spoken to the retailer (they called me) and they can see the problem and are collecting the bass on wed.
The guy has said if they can sort it they will, but he assured me it wont be a bodged job. Im happy with that as the bass plays wella dn is set up to my liking.
We spoke about getting it replaced and they do have one on order but they are also holding a Black/maple one for me until they know whats going to happen to mine. The sunburst could be a few weeks and i dont think i could wait that long.
I know i had issues with black but im happy now that the issue is on all of them and not just the one i originally had. And while i did/do like the 3TSB i do love a Black bass with black PG (which i already have).

Ive used this retailer a couple of times now and they really are outstanding as far as CS go.

I think this is an issue to some extent on a lot of basses.
Ive just had a quick look at mine and without going overboard, most of mine exhibit strings off centre to some degree, im talking about say 1-2mm

50s reissue mex precision A string off gap
60s reissue japanese precision D and A strings off gap
50s classic vibe chinese almost perfect!!!
64 precision A string off gap
musicman sterling, none are perfect but e and g strings well off center
US Jo osbourne E and A string off gap
MusicMam 20th Century ray only the A string is centered.

Once you look at them it becomes very visible, it would be interesting to ask someone like Pete Academy about the basses in the shop.

[quote name='chris_b' post='912422' date='Aug 2 2010, 01:42 AM']So every Lakland you've tried has had faults that required the bass to be returned!

That is unlucky!![/quote]

I have had 5 lakies and they have been pretty much flawless
Skyline Jo Osbourne was overweight
Skyline 44-02 perfect
Skyline 55-02 Perfect
Jerry Scheff small paint flaw if you look hard enough
US Jo Osbourne, absolutely perfect although the pickup alignment is a bit off but I dont know what the spec is.

Are the front and rear jazz pickups made to different sizes? ( I know they are wound differently) if they dont, there must be a small difference because of the angle of the strings.

[quote name='bumnote' post='912994' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:10 PM']Are the front and rear jazz pickups made to different sizes? ( I know they are wound differently) if they dont, there must be a small difference because of the angle of the strings.[/quote]

Im not sure if all Jazz basses are but certainly the ones ive had have had a slightly shorter neck pup.

I can understand and accept a slight bit of offset between the strings and pole pieces, its to be expected, but the pups should still be in the right place to start with to keep this down to a minimum.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='913002' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:17 PM']Im not sure if all Jazz basses are but certainly the ones ive had have had a slightly shorter neck pup.

I can understand and accept a slight bit of offset between the strings and pole pieces, its to be expected, but the pups should still be in the right place to start with to keep this down to a minimum.[/quote]

On all of the basses above, moving the pickup wouldnt solve the problem
On the jo for example [and having got a vernier out the pickups are are different lengths] if you ofset either pickup, you just move the problem to a different string.
On the stingray you would have to either change the bridge or move the pickup further towards the bridge AND off set it,

To go back to your original question. Should you be worried: probably not. Should you accept the various mistakes and mis-alignments on a £1000 American Standard bass; definitely not.

I have pick-guard and pick-up issues on my bass, ( I can see it but no one else has noticed) but I don't think it makes any difference to the produced sound. I haven't detected any unevenness across the strings, but then my bass only cost £330.

Good Luck,

Balcro

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='913233' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:40 PM']Hope they don't mind you bodging it a bit yourself. I know of at least one shop that would see you've been adjusting it & making fresh holes as a cop-out to say you're stuck with it.[/quote]
Not a problem as I told them I had tried to sort myself.
I told them I had been able to move the pup but couldn't get the pickguard back on so I've put it back as it was.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='913811' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:10 PM']This is crazy!! it looks well off in those pictures!

Totally unacceptable at this level IMO

I hope it gets sorted out properly and the shop look after you mate

:)[/quote]

Thanks Chris.

The shop seem really cool about it so far. They have been great to deal with. My only worry is im going to be without it this weekend and i have two gigs.
Just as well i have the Squier i guess.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='913816' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:13 PM']Thanks Chris.

The shop seem really cool about it so far. They have been great to deal with. My only worry is im going to be without it this weekend and i have two gigs.
Just as well i have the Squier i guess.[/quote]

Its good that they are willing to sort it.

If you arent happy, I reckon swap it for another. The shop wont lose out, only Fender will and its not like thats going to be an issue.

I enquired about a Burst/Rosewood and the UK supplier is out of stock of Burst until September.....but at least you know youd be getting a brand new one.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='913848' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:39 PM']Its good that they are willing to sort it.

If you arent happy, I reckon swap it for another. The shop wont lose out, only Fender will and its not like thats going to be an issue.

I enquired about a Burst/Rosewood and the UK supplier is out of stock of Burst until September.....but at least you know youd be getting a brand new one.[/quote]

They have a Black/maple on hold for me for when they get this one back. Im happy to have the Black (it was my first choice anyway)
According to their website they wont get a SB/maple in until the end of the month. Im not waiting that long. For me the colour isnt a big deal. I'd even be happy with Red/maple.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='913860' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:51 PM']They have a Black/maple on hold for me for when they get this one back. Im happy to have the Black (it was my first choice anyway)
According to their website they wont get a SB/maple in until the end of the month. Im not waiting that long. For me the colour isnt a big deal. I'd even be happy with Red/maple.[/quote]

Ah, and youll get a small refund as well! Id swap it out Dave. Itll play on your mind even if they fix it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='913876' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:07 PM']Ah, and youll get a small refund as well! Id swap it out Dave. Itll play on your mind even if they fix it.[/quote]

Plus black with maple looks waaaay cooler than sunburst. Especially with a black pickguard.