Why become a member? ×

Pup slightly out of alignment. Should i be worried?

dave_bass5

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='913896' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:25 PM']Plus black with maple looks waaaay cooler than sunburst. Especially with a black pickguard.[/quote]

Yep, although ive seen it more in a P than i have a Jazz.

The reason i sent my first MIA back was it was showing the wood seams. I thought that was a bit cheap looking, especially on the back of the bass. As the 3TSB didnt i went for that but i think ill be happy with either now, as long as the new one has less (none) issues.
Its still a gamble and next time it might not just be cosmetic.

Gareth. yes, ill get £60 back and can put that towards getting the Squier de fretted. If they do fix it thats fine, i love the bass so i wont be upset to get it back.

Edited by dave_bass5

Just a quick update.
The retailer has today received the bass back and have got in touch to make sure im happy with a Black/maple replacement. They are checking the replacment out before sending it tomorrow.
So far they haven't mentioned the original ones issues or questioned it. Fingers crossed the new one will be the final one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='919789' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:33 PM']Just a quick update.
The retailer has today received the bass back and have got in touch to make sure im happy with a Black/maple replacement. They are checking the replacment out before sending it tomorrow.
So far they haven't mentioned the original ones issues or questioned it. Fingers crossed the new one will be the final one.[/quote]

Excellent. Im glad they are being helpful and actually realising there is a problem.

Let me know how the new one is.

Cheers Gareth.
They are supposed to be sending it out tomorrow, I just hope they dont find any issues with it.

I still like the sunburst but i think the black with the black PG will look great.

During my paranoid state i was looking at Fenders website.
There are pics of all the colour combinations for the MIA Jazz. All but one had the pups in the correct place. The White/rosewood seems to have the neck pup in the same position as mine.

Very strange. Maybe its just the angle the pic was taken.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well the new Jazz has arrived and the pups are still not lined up. But this time there is a large gap around most of the bridge pup. A good few mm at the top and it looks like the pup needs moving up.

Im not sure what to do now. Im inclined to keep it as i really need to use it. It plays well and sounds great, as did the other one but im really hacked off at the quality of these Fenders now.
Back to Lakland for the next bass.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='922554' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:51 AM']Well the new Jazz has arrived and the pups are still not lined up. But this time there is a large gap around most of the bridge pup. A good few mm at the top and it looks like the pup needs moving up.

Im not sure what to do now. Im inclined to keep it as i really need to use it. It plays well and sounds great, as did the other one but im really hacked off at the quality of these Fenders now.
Back to Lakland for the next bass.[/quote]

Jees! This is NOT good. Did they not check it?!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='922556' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:53 AM']Jees! This is NOT good. Did they not check it?![/quote]

I wonder whether it's a batch issue - all or a lot of the basses a dealership gets being from a particular batch and sharing similar faults. The pic of the last one that Dave posted looked like the pup routing was out. Work experience boy setting up the cnc router?!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='922826' date='Aug 12 2010, 02:55 PM']I wonder whether it's a batch issue - all or a lot of the basses a dealership gets being from a particular batch and sharing similar faults. The pic of the last one that Dave posted looked like the pup routing was out. Work experience boy setting up the cnc router?![/quote]

I think your right.
Both the old one and this new one both have serial numbers starting with Z8230

Ill get some pics up of the new one tonight. I think ill have to keep it as i need to use it this weekend and next.

I've emailed the shop and waiting to see what they say but unless i can keep it for a while and still return it when they get a new one in (est first week sept) i guess ill live with it.
It plays really well and sounds great, its just a shame its got these cosmetic issues.

Oh and while im at it. The first MIA i had a few weeks ago was a Black one. I could really see the seams in the wood, even on the back where its flat so i sent it back. This one is fine and the finish is better, even though they should both be the same.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='922554' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:51 AM']Well the new Jazz has arrived and the pups are still not lined up. But this time there is a large gap around most of the bridge pup. A good few mm at the top and it looks like the pup needs moving up.

Back to Lakland for the next bass.[/quote]

See pictures of a 20th anniversary ray, and my US Jo osborne.
In both the pickups are misaligned, as are a number of my p basses. I never noticed it before, and I think you will find its pretty common.
In fact even if you offset the pickups on the joe, it would transfer the problem to a different string, not eradicate it. To put it right would require the pickups to be moved fore or aft as well as to one side or a revised bridge assy.

[quote name='bumnote' post='922976' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:45 PM']See pictures of a 20th anniversary ray, and my US Jo osborne.
In both the pickups are misaligned, as are a number of my p basses. I never noticed it before, and I think you will find its pretty common.
In fact even if you offset the pickups on the joe, it would transfer the problem to a different string, not eradicate it. To put it right would require the pickups to be moved fore or aft as well as to one side or a revised bridge assy.[/quote]

Thats a lot more 'normal' I think. I agree it will never be 100%, but Dave's pics showed one pup was way out.

Here are a few pics of the new one, with the black PG on it. I need to get a new one as i filed this down to fit the old bass so it looks a bit of a mess close up.
To be honest im getting used to it now and i really like the look of the black and maple.

Its more the gap thats bugging me now. I guess with the body being black its not as noticeable from a distance.

Still waiting to hear back from the shop but i have a feeling i might keep this one.

[attachment=56422:Thu_12_A...010_0074.jpg]

[attachment=56424:Thu_12_A...010_0101.jpg]

[attachment=56423:Thu_12_A...010_0105.jpg]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='923166' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:38 PM']Here are a few pics of the new one, with the black PG on it. I need to get a new one as i filed this down to fit the old bass so it looks a bit of a mess close up.
To be honest im getting used to it now and i really like the look of the black and maple.

Its more the gap thats bugging me now. I guess with the body being black its not as noticeable from a distance.

Still waiting to hear back from the shop but i have a feeling i might keep this one.

[attachment=56423:Thu_12_A...010_0105.jpg][/quote]

The bridge pup has a gap, I can see that. The pole pieces look ok on the bridge.

Are the pole pieces not matching on the neck pup? I cant tell from the angle.

Yes your pics are far worse than my bass.

However if you take the Jo as being a premium instrument, and EBMM are usually pretty classy instruments, there is still an visual misalignment and one would expect them to be bang on.

What I dont know is how representitive these are or yours are. As I said in my post, its not just a question of a pickup offset that needs the router position moved slightly, it needs something more fundemental.

Maybe that why pickups have twin or large polepieces.

I do know I will be inspecting every jazz bass next time im in a music shop.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='923181' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:54 PM']They still dont match up on the neck pup. You should be able to see in the first pic.

These shots arent great but its really hard to shoot a shiny black bass.[/quote]

I thought so...I hoped it was the angle. Very weird that they are the same 'batch'. Weird that they are still selling 2008s as well.

See what they say in the email. I think you might need to get a brand new one ordered in instead of stock....and it needs checking before sending out!

I can understand the frustration as I went through this with Lakland.

[quote name='bumnote' post='923185' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:57 PM']I do know I will be inspecting every jazz bass next time im in a music shop.[/quote]

Me to!

I am lucky to have a 2008 Jazz with excellent pup lineup...but this was checked over thoroughly by the Bass Merchants Tech. It also has a great tight neck pocket.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='923187' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:57 PM']I thought so...I hoped it was the angle. Very weird that they are the same 'batch'. Weird that they are still selling 2008s as well.

See what they say in the email. I think you might need to get a brand new one ordered in instead of stock....and it needs checking before sending out!

I can understand the frustration as I went through this with Lakland.[/quote]

Well ive emailed Fender UK to see if they can shed any light on my problems. Ive also emailed them a link to this thread so they can see whats been going on.
Long shot i know but worth a go. I dont have much faith in the shop at the moment.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='923187' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:57 PM']Weird that they are still selling 2008s as well.[/quote]

The Serial number doesn't always give an accurate date...

examples below..

some of the '2010' (RELEASED AND ANNOUNCED EARLY 2010) version Deluxe Jazz basses i had in my shop had Z9 Serial numbers, and some of the Road worns have turned up with Z7 serial numbers (I THINK THESE WERE A 2008 ONWARD MODEL). The Instruments necks were serialed at a certain time, but they may not ship, or may remain in storage for a good while. Particularly in the current economic climate.

And sometimes perfectly good instruments will sit unplayed and unsold in a store for a period of time, it's not so unusual.

as for pickup misalignment, i can see it in the photos, but it's difficult to understand that a CNC machine can make a mistake, but at the end of the day a CNC machine is still programmed, and reprogrammed by a Human, Human = Human Error...

I've checked my stock from Squier up to Deluxe USA and all seem to be fine. It is odd that such a 'blip' has occured twice.

So i'm stumped.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923331' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:02 PM']as for pickup misalignment, i can see it in the photos, but it's difficult to understand that a CNC machine can make a mistake, but at the end of the day a CNC machine is still programmed, and reprogrammed by a Human, Human = Human Error...

I've checked my stock from Squier up to Deluxe USA and all seem to be fine. It is odd that such a 'blip' has occured twice.[/quote]

Yes, i thought it rather strange. Maybe they did a run of these before realising what had happened.

You only have to compare the routing for the bridge pup on both basses to see how much of a variation you can end up with.

I've just checked all my basses Dave.

Although it's hard to tell from the angle of your pics I think none of mine are misalighned as yours seems to be. I have a US vintage RI 75, classic 70s, and a very nice SX 70s jazz and all the pick ups seems to be aligned. All my "non Fender" basses are perfectly aligned too.

I have seen misalignment like this on two jazz basses - both Tokai surprisingly.

I hope this helps and I really hope you get sorted with this. I'll be watching with interest to see what the cause of your problems turns out to be.

Frank

Off topic but I played your old Lakland the other day, the black 5 string one. What a great feeling bass. One of the best set ups I played.

Cheers Frank.

While I'm Realise the strings won't be exactly aligned over both pups im more worried that the pups just don't line up like they should. The neck pup should not be sitting higher than the bridge pup.

I've had a email back from both the shop and fender and both are agreeing it's not right but i still don't know what's going to happen
Fender are saying the routing on the back pup is not right so I think it wil get exchanges but it's been such a hassle I may just give up on fender now.

I do miss my old DJ5. If only I wasn't playing 4 string now I might have tried to but it back. I agree. It's a fantastic bass.

Dave,

Interesting thread and thought it worth mentioning that I've also experienced the neck pup misalignment problem with the new American Standard Js. I bought a black/maple one last year which had this problem. Eventually returned the bass for a refund as once I'd noticed it it just kept bugging me. Subesequently spent several months trying to find a properly aligned one but most of the new models I saw were 'out'. Tried several at GAK in Brighton earlier this year and all of the ones they had in stock were quite noticeably misaligned. I pointed this out to the store manager who was surprised but had to agree that it looked like a Fender QC problem. The neck PUP just seems to be installed incorrectly but the thing I find strange is that the pickguard still fits perfectly which surely it wouldn't do if the routing was out. All a bit odd but it's definitely not right. I've checked out quite a few older Js which were all fine so this problem definitely seems to have been introduced with the new MIA model. I'm still keeping an eye out for a new Fender J but haven't yet found a good one in the colour/neck combination I want (which happens to be black/maple). With all the hoohah about how great the new MIA Fenders are I'm really surprised more hasn't been said about these obvious QC issues.

Ian

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='923166' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:38 PM']Here are a few pics of the new one, with the black PG on it. I need to get a new one as i filed this down to fit the old bass so it looks a bit of a mess close up.

[attachment=56423:Thu_12_A...010_0105.jpg][/quote]

Personally i'd ask for my money back!!

Paying all that for a bass thats just thrown together like that is ridiculous!!

I know i wouldn't stand for it! you'd be better off forgetting about fender and trying a real bass!! :) :rolleyes: second hand Sadowsky's are pretty much the same price, give or take a few (hundred) quid and the build quality is a million miles better!! plus the customer support you get from the man himself is second to none!!

(sorry if everyone's bored of me banging on about Sadowsky's)