Why become a member? ×

Help: Setting up a studio

Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='923653' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:37 AM']LOL, both things we do (two sets of speakers and the car test). Good to know that without realising it was standard practice, we're doing things right![/quote]
It's all a compromise - I tend to sway to the side of getting a mix that's reasonably dynamic and 'true' on the best speakers I use and sod the car mix - getting the car mix right usually involves too much compression and robs the music of the very dynamics I'm trying to preserve.

Being in a band I have to compromise on this and usually wind up giving in. :rolleyes:

If it was totally down to me though I'd mix to get the maximum dynamic range, but this results in people complaining that the level is low on their CD players, compared with other CDs they play. Yes, the average level is lower because I'm not compressing everything to death, and the music is allowed to breathe. Do they not have volume controls on their gear? :) We develop a domestic music playback system capable of generating huge swings in dynamics and the end up using only the top 10 per cent of the headroom. Daft. To me anyway. :lol:

Still, it's not worth getting terminally het up about. :lol:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war"]The Loudness War - this explains a bit more[/url]

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='923687' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:03 PM']If it was totally down to me though I'd mix to get the maximum dynamic range, but this results in people complaining that the level is low on their CD players, compared with other CDs they play. Yes, the average level is lower because I'm not compressing everything to death, and the music is allowed to breathe. Do they not have volume controls on their gear? :) We develop a domestic music playback system capable of generating huge swings in dynamics and the end up using only the top 10 per cent of the headroom. Daft. To me anyway. :rolleyes:[/quote]

The problem is that the art of mastering appears to be lost.

Back in the days before CDs everything was mastered for the medium it was going to be sold on. Tracks for 7" singles would be mastered differently to the album version. Even the UK and US albums were mastered differently to compensate for the different EQ curves employed by cartridge pre-amps on each side of the Atlantic and the cassette version was different again to compensate for the Dolby noise reduction.

Just because the music is now 0s and 1s doesn't mean that this philosophy should be abandoned. There is no one-size fits all.

At the risk of repeating myself, I would sugguest you try [url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/adam-a5-studio-multimedia-monitor-in-matt-black--50641"]Adam A5s[/url].

I did as this thread suggestest and A-B-C'd them (in Andersons, Guildford) with [url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs80m-powered-monitor-single--30741"]Yamaha HS80[/url]s and the [url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/krk-rokit-rp8-g2-active-studio-monitor--51949"]KRK RP8s[/url]

To my ears the Adams sounded the clearest and most transparent.

The second set I use is the surround sound system I usually use for gaming & watching movies.

The final test is always CD in the car.

[quote name='Beedster' post='923512' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:22 AM']OK, I'm pretty much there with:

Mackie 1640i,

[url="http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/mackie-onyx-1640i-and-avid-m-powered-pro-tools--74872"]http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/mac...ro-tools--74872[/url]

iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ATI (should I order external HD or extra RAM with this?)

[url="http://www.dv247.com/configure/18"]http://www.dv247.com/configure/18[/url]

and Pro Tools

Chris[/quote]

Good choice
You will have to spend a lot more money to get desk preamps with a noticeable improvement rather than different flavor.

I use an external hard drives for backup, the more ram the better but it really counts when using large sample libraries

Any last observations before I pull the trigger guys.......?

Edited by ironside1966

[quote name='Beedster' post='923706' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:19 PM']I love this thread :)[/quote]

Ditto. Speccing studios is great fun. You should see some of my old room designs! Theyre triangular with slanted roofs to reduce resonant frequencies with a seperate amp room!

[quote name='Beedster' post='923706' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:19 PM']I love this thread :)[/quote]

Me too. I keep reminding myself that I've built two home studios in the past and rarely do I get any songs past the "rough idea for a riff" stage :rolleyes:

Must not browse the Thoman website!

[quote name='clauster' post='923949' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:49 PM']Me too. I keep reminding myself that I've built two home studios in the past and rarely do I get any songs past the "rough idea for a riff" stage :rolleyes:

Must not browse the Thoman website![/quote]

LOL, know the feeling, that's pretty much what my old Zoom DAW ended up doing! I'm working with some good guys now, so I'm really hoping this investment will pay off both creatively and, given how much money it's possible to spend on studio time (and the fact that we seem to only be really creative once we're in the studio), financially. More importantly, it's a dream I never thought I'd realise, and it's important to realise the odd dream in life eh!

Having looked at my finances I reckon this thread is gonna run for about 4 years though :)

C

[quote name='charic' post='923947' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:47 PM']Ditto. Speccing studios is great fun. You should see some of my old room designs! Theyre triangular with slanted roofs to reduce resonant frequencies with a seperate amp room![/quote]

LOL, I've got all that to look forwards to :)

For the extra £150-odd quid, I'd get a 27inch iMac.. the extra screen space would be very handy..

Also +1 on crucial ram..

edit: I'd go for the new iMacs (Core i3/i5 chips) instead of the old Core2Duo's. On that DV link you would be essentially paying top whack for older hardware..

Edited by jmesa

[quote name='jmesa' post='923984' date='Aug 13 2010, 03:08 PM']For the extra £150-odd quid, I'd get a 27inch iMac.. the extra screen space would be very handy..

Also +1 on crucial ram..

edit: I'd go for the new iMacs (Core i3/i5 chips) instead of the old Core2Duo's. On that DV link you would be essentially paying top whack for older hardware..[/quote]

Good advice, Tom at DV247 has sorted the new iMac i3 for me. Re the 27" screen, it's simply too big for my tastes (see post on previous page)!

C

I'm on my way, Pro Tools, iMac and 16-track Mackie desk ordered. Thanks for the help to date guys, just the monitors, phones, mics, leads, racks, glass, acoustic treatments, piano, & Tele (every studio should have a Tele) to go. Oh, and the building of course!

Chri

[quote name='clauster' post='923949' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:49 PM']Must not browse the Thoman website![/quote]

+1!!!

Also, can i just say? If you're not getting a really big screen, you might find it an idea in the future to go for 2 monitors side by side. I find this very useful because it means i can have track view in one monitor, virtual console and effects in the other.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='924090' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:17 PM']+1!!!

Also, can i just say? If you're not getting a really big screen, you might find it an idea in the future to go for 2 monitors side by side. I find this very useful because it means i can have track view in one monitor, virtual console and effects in the other.[/quote]

That's a very good idea

C

I run a dual (soon the be triple) monitor set up. Generally with one screen for the main arrange page and the other for either the mixer or the waveform or MIDI edit pages.

As for monitor speakers don't buy anything without auditioning a pair of [url="http://www.pmc-speakers.com/"]PMCs[/url]. When I get around to replacing my vintage Tannoys it'll be with something from their range.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='924128' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:48 PM']As for monitor speakers don't buy anything without auditioning a pair of [url="http://www.pmc-speakers.com/"]PMCs[/url]. When I get around to replacing my vintage Tannoys it'll be with something from their range.[/quote]

I'll keep an eye/ear open, thanks

[quote name='risingson' post='924145' date='Aug 13 2010, 05:06 PM']Best of luck with this endevour, our drummer has just finished up building his own studio from scratch and it is a great, great place to be. So expensive but worth it. He spent about the same as you intend to spend and he's stretched it a long way.[/quote]

Thanks, I really want this project to have the same vibe, a great place to be

[quote name='charic' post='924687' date='Aug 14 2010, 09:56 AM']Did you get a chance to sit with the desk you ordered or is a try before you buy endeavor? When do we move onto the next spec stage? Let's keep this thread running![/quote]

(Lowers head in shame and embarrassment), um, no, I didn't sit at the desk. To be honest, much as I recognise the virtue of doing so, I decided to rely on reviews, reputation, info from here, and on a little bit of gut instinct. This was partly the result of no-one having both models in which I was interested in stock at the same time, and most only stocking them to order once they've been paid for!

Next stage will be monitors, although I'm also currently looking at properties in which to build the studio (at present it's in my spare room).

Keep this thread running? You bet, I'm loving it :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='924705' date='Aug 14 2010, 10:15 AM']Agreed... you are never too old to learn something new, as recording is such a fluid and nebulous area with plenty of room for differing approaches to getting the end result. I've learned a thing or two already. :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1

Chris

Edited by Beedster