Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help: Setting up a studio

Beedster

[quote name='charic' post='953166' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:25 PM']All working now then? Good good :)[/quote]

Yes, but no thanks to Mackie, and lot of thanks to the rather enigmatically named ~tl.

[quote name='~tl' post='953105' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:19 PM']According to this page, you have to download and install a driver for Pro Tools support:

[url="http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/drivers/"]http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/drivers/[/url][/quote]

My final post on the other thread below.....

[quote name='Beedster' post='953164' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:20 PM']Well this one is Mackie's fault as far as I can tell. Quote from the manual "Mac 0S X contains built in drivers, so no software installation is required". The manual then goes on to describe the process of downloading drivers etc for PCs. OK, I might not be entirely computer literate, and OK, it does state on their website that you need to download drivers, but surely the manual should mention this![/quote]

Right, beer and curry, it's Saturday night after all :rolleyes:

Thanks all

C

[quote name='charic' post='960544' date='Sep 18 2010, 04:50 PM']Doesn't really matter but in standard studio practice I see more on their sides. Probably so speaker and tweeter are level. How are you getting on with the setup?[/quote]

Cheers mate

Thought that was likely the case. Coming along, although nothing's been recorded yet, still getting to grips with manuals! I'm listening to my entire music collection through the monitors and comparing them with hifi setup. Hifi sounds like mud after a few hours listening to monitors doesn't it! Loving how many nuances of even some pretty crap recordings I'm discovering.

C

Yeah the mode on them really do show up some unexpected results. I love mine too. It does take some getting to grips really doesn't it but oh well. Any chance of some pics of the setup as it stands?

On a side note have you tried piano through the monitors? Well worth a listen :)

• 1 month later...

Well, it's all working. I've spent the last two months acquiring a selection of mics, amps, outboards, racks, more cables than I'd care to count, instruments, oh, and an overdraft! I've spent about two months listening to a huge range of music through the monitors in the room, and we've run a few live test recordings which have worked out OK. The first real session in here - albeit my band - is going to be the weekend of 27th/28th. Something I should probably have done before now is arranged a medium for backing up files after each take. Should I be running an external hard drive and saving all tracks to both internal and external? If so, what do you experienced chaps recommend? If not, what's the preferred medium?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='1024541' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:44 PM']Well, it's all working. I've spent the last two months acquiring a selection of mics, amps, outboards, racks, more cables than I'd care to count, instruments, oh, and an overdraft! I've spent about two months listening to a huge range of music through the monitors in the room, and we've run a few live test recordings which have worked out OK. The first real session in here - albeit my band - is going to be the weekend of 27th/28th. Something I should probably have done before now is arranged a medium for backing up files after each take. Should I be running an external hard drive and saving all tracks to both internal and external? If so, what do you experienced chaps recommend? If not, what's the preferred medium?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

I'm not sure about the drive but i want pictures :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1024651' date='Nov 15 2010, 02:12 PM']I just back up at the end of every session. I suppose it'd be best practise to have your audio drive RAIDed with another in the box, and then back up to an external disc at the end of every session.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1024645' date='Nov 15 2010, 02:07 PM']I'm not sure about the drive but i want pictures :)[/quote]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1024651' date='Nov 15 2010, 02:12 PM']I just back up at the end of every session. I suppose it'd be best practise to have your audio drive RAIDed with another in the box, and then back up to an external disc at the end of every session.[/quote]

[quote name='charic' post='1024659' date='Nov 15 2010, 02:16 PM'][b]+1![/b] Also what are your thoughts on your current set-up? Whats the full spec now? :)[/quote]

If I'd taken pics a few weeks back they'd have been impressive. Now all you'd see is a sea of cables washing around too many instruments, amps, and various other things that guitarists seem to need to sound half decent!

Re hard drive, I'm going to get this...

[url="http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/synergy-ad-100-1tb-external-drive-usb2-0-firewire-400-800-esata--65476"]http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/syn...00-esata--65476[/url]

...which should be big enough (thoughts welcome)?

Thoughts on my current set-up? Well, it's early days! Certainly, sitting behind a desk these days is a whole lot easier than it was 20 years ago in many respects, but so much more problematic in others. It's therefore pretty hard to make a direct call on my equipment. Certainly Pro Tools is extremely easy to use and extremely powerful. However, the process of setting it up with the desk was a complete PITA, and Digidesign seem to go out of their way to make life as difficult as possible in terms of registration, upgrades, add-ons etc. For example, I paid for the mp3 module at the weekend. When I tried to download it I had to register at several sites, each taking up valuable time and patience. When it still didn't download, lengthy searching on Gearslutz etc revealed that you have to un-install and then re-install Pro Tools, deleting the free mp3 trial files on the way. All this for a £15 download that should surely have been included in the package in the first place!!!!!! And guess what, it still doesn't work, so I simply convert through iTunes..... Another thing that really bugs me about the Pro Tools/Mackie/iMac set-up is that it's quite noisy with Pro Tools running. I've tried moving cables around and repositioning various components, but nothing has really done the trick. Thankfully, the noise isn't on the recorded tracks, it's just always present when tracking and monitoring, and it bugs the hell out of me! The Mackie, being huge, sits atop a rack above a Sansamp RBI (lovely), a Korg tuner, DBX 266 (for the time being), an incoming TL Audio 5051, and an incoming Aphex 204. I'd still like to get a good outboard reverb. Mics, I've got nothing special, but they're functional. A few SM57s and SM58s, SM7B and SE2200a, and a set of Shure drum mics.

Now I have to start getting a better room acoustic..........

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Nice one Chris!

IMO you have a perfectly good set of mics for getting really great results. The key is the dude in front of the desk!

I thinkyou're right about acoustics next too, oh and have a look at [url="http://www.silentpcreview.com/"]silent pc review[/url] for tips on making machines quiet....

Can't wait to hear some evidence of recordings happening!!

[quote name='51m0n' post='1025671' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:38 AM']Nice one Chris!

IMO you have a perfectly good set of mics for getting really great results. The key is the dude in front of the desk![/quote]

A Huge +1 to this! You've got all the gear now, you just need to get the idea now lol. Also those MP3 conversion "add ons" are a waste of time. It's the same story with cakewalk as well. You pay like £350 for the top end version only to be told you need another £20 just to export as MP3! No thanks, I'll just export as WAV and convert in audacity using the LAME mp3 encoder.

I think you should show us just a couple of pics, after all it can't be any worse than mine :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

Well done Beedster, spent the past few weeks reading about what you've been doing. We just got through finishing up our first album in our studio we purpose built as well, would definitely be keen to see how you've got on with yours! EDIT I'm sure you've spent a small fortune on gear right now but I'd strongly advise getting an AKG C414 to add to the mic cupboard, it's a great all rounder and very true sounding, works great on acoustics and piano.

Edited by risingson

Personally I'd go for a PC over a Mac in a studio any day.

An i7 PC running Win7x64 with as much RAM as you can get in there 24 or 48 Gb is possible on current motherboards.

Why?

1 PCs can evolve and are easy to upgrade without changing everything.
2 My DAW of choice is PC only - currently Sonar 8.5 soon to be Sonar X1

I currently run Sonar 8.5.3 on a W7x64Pro Q9550 machine with 8Gb RAM with an RME HDSP9632 on my bedroom studio PC.

It is as solid as a rock.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='1025974' date='Nov 16 2010, 03:37 PM']Personally I'd go for a PC over a Mac in a studio any day.

An i7 PC running Win7x64 with as much RAM as you can get in there 24 or 48 Gb is possible on current motherboards.

Why?

I currently run Sonar 8.5.3 on a W7x64Pro Q9550 machine with 8Gb RAM with an RME HDSP9632 on my bedroom studio PC.

It is as solid as a rock.[/quote]

+1 to all this. Pretty much what I think as well.

[quote name='Twigman' post='1025974' date='Nov 16 2010, 03:37 PM']Personally I'd go for a PC over a Mac in a studio any day.

Why?

It is as solid as a rock.[/quote]

Thanks, although I probably only understood about 30% of it!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1025996' date='Nov 16 2010, 03:54 PM']+1 to all this. Pretty much what I think as well.[/quote]

He clearly understood more!

[quote name='charic' post='1026158' date='Nov 16 2010, 06:14 PM']I'm not a fan of sonar at all. But that's horses for courses. I'm a MAC fan too :)[/quote]

I must admit when I first got the iMac I was blown away. Having used PCs all my life it seemed so much more user friendly. However, now using it every day I find it just as frustrating as using a PC, although perhaps some of this is simply that I'm still getting used to it?

C

It depends, are you trying to master your mixes? Or do you mean for using all the time when listening?

Some sort of mastering outboard wouldn't be a bad idea. I've had real trouble trying to get plug-ins to give me the master compression i'm after. If I could afford i'd have a nice stereo multi band compressor and a proper standalone CD burner for mastering.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1026729' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:18 AM']It depends, are you trying to master your mixes? Or do you mean for using all the time when listening?

Some sort of mastering outboard wouldn't be a bad idea. I've had real trouble trying to get plug-ins to give me the master compression i'm after. If I could afford i'd have a nice stereo multi band compressor and a proper standalone CD burner for mastering.[/quote]

Cheers Tom, what would you suggest?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1026752' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:43 AM']Sorry, I really wouldn't know - I try to not look at gear I can't afford. TL Audio do nice valve compressors, and i've seen them in lots of studios, but they could be sh*t for all I know :)[/quote]

Hah, fair enough mate! I always look at gear I can't afford! Funnily enough I was looking at the TL Audio models, anyone out there got any thoughts/experience?

The TL audio stuff sounds pretty ace. It's has quite a warm sound generally. I've used their Compressors and their valve EQ's. Both are great.

I've only used their real expensive stuff mind (uni) like £3k a box...

But the answer to your question is... probably! :)