Why become a member? ×

Help: Setting up a studio

Beedster

• 1 year later...

Just re-read this thread, what a great resource!

Anyway, for family reasons I'm downsizing my studio at present, which is a shame (e.g., the Mackie 1640i desk and rack hardware are off). I do however want to continue to record ons small scale, and specifically want to make tracking at the screen via Pro-Tools less hassle by using a second monitor (allowing me to have both of the displays up at the same time). Can I run pretty much any Mac monitor from my iMac? I've looked around and being a hardware numpty, don't want to buy a monitor that doesn't work (for example, a lot of the Mac monitors suggest that they run from laptops - which I guess is the standard use of extension monitors - and provide the spec of laptop required, bit not much more). As ever, your help is gratefully received

C

Welcome back!

I'm unsure on the monitor front but bear in mind you want a screen the same size if possible. ProTools isn't multiscreen at present so you have to stretch the main window across two monitors and then the two "child windows" within that. It remembers your setup once you've set it up once though :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1362668958' post='2003087']
Thanks Charic, I get a lovely warm feeling coming back to this thread! My screen is 21.5" so I'll have to go for a 20" as I can't find any 21.5 standalone Mac monitors. Should it be pretty much plug and play?
[/quote]

I'm unsure with iMac's to be fair. You might be better of talking to one of the "mac geniuses"

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1362669030' post='2003089']
If you can't find one that's the same physical size, make sure at least it has the same pixel dimensions.
[/quote]

Oh oh, getting messy already.........