Why become a member? ×

amp distorts bassdrum mic

Bloc Riff Nut

The last 2 gigs we've played I've had to reduce the volume so much I could hardly hear myself play.
The bass-drum microphone has an issue with my amp. The amp is used as a monitor for onstage sound so it's not too loud, the majority of volume comes from the PA.
We were getting lots of distortion/feedback with the soundcheck, reducing my amp volume was the cure. Both gigs were played on a hollow stage.
Has anyone any ideas? Not hearing yourself on stage is depressing.

PLEASE HELP :-(

Phil.

How is the bass drum mic mounted? If it's on a stand, it might be worth taking it off and putting it inside the bass drum on your drummer's damping (assuming he uses a pillow/blanket/whatever for bass drum micing); if it's not stand-mounted or it's on a solid-metal based mic stand, one with rubber feet might solve it.

These problems are caused mainly by resonances. Different rooms and structures will have resonances that emphasize different notes that will in turn be picked up by a mic. These resonances will be dependant upon the wavelength of the sound and simply moving the drums, bass stack or mic may well sort out the problem. Obviously a bouncy stage will also resonate.

If you get this problem again then try setting it up so that the resonance is just starting and then try moving things around a little. You should be able to shift the 'hot spot' so it doesn't coincide with the mic in question. You could also try using the tone controls to tune the problem out.

If you use a combo then try using a stand to point it at your ears. You get better monitoring and the stand will help decouple the amp from the stage.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='909649' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:11 PM']More likely it's the vibration though the stage floor. Ive had the same issue myself.

Get an Auralex Gramma Pad. Proplem Solved... And it tightened the bottom end sound up loads as well!

Best £40 I ever spent![/quote]

Same here. We play loads of hollow stages and getting one of these has been a god send.

[quote name='philipleonard' post='911498' date='Jul 31 2010, 09:28 PM']Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be trying the rubber mat to seperate my Markbass combo from the stage and I'll keep in mind that such interference/resonance can be eliminated using tone/bass controls.

;-)

Phil.[/quote]

Its not quite as simple as a rubber mat :)

Honestly, you won't regret getting a Auralex Gramma Pad.