Why become a member? ×

Yet another new *finished* Shuker build

Pete1967

Well, I've refrained from posting a thread here until now because I knew that watching the thread would drive me nuts and cause uncontrollable bouts of GAS (which happened anyway to be fair and resulted in me buying the green jazz on Jon's stock page), but now that I'm about to get my sticky, and some would say talentless, mits on my new 'un, I thought I'd share. Bassic (sorry!) spec is:

Shuker Bolt-on Custom 5 String
34" scale, 24 fret
5pc Maple, Flame maple, Wenge neck with carbon fibre, two way truss, modern C profile
Ziricote fretboard
Ultalite or Resolite tuners
White Ash body
Flamed, spalted maple drop top
High gloss finish
Delano Hybrid+J pickups
Shuker Mk3 3band EQ
Individual bridges
Black hardware

I'm pencilled in to pick it up a week on Friday, after a typical wait, but I knew it would take time. I did see it part complete when I picked the green jazz up and it's gonna be a smasher! I've resisted asking Jon for pics (until last might) for the same reason as above.

The main feature really is the hybrid pickup which I thought long and hard about ordering, but Jon and a couple of other BC'ers persuaded me. Had a mail from Jon last night and he commented that the bass looked really smart cos "it's a massive pickup". Hope I can live up to it...

Pics will be posted as soon as I've put it down long enough to photograph it.

P

Edited by Pete1967

[quote name='Pete1967' post='901099' date='Jul 21 2010, 05:35 PM']Well, I've refrained from posting a thread here until now because I knew that watching the thread would drive me nuts and cause uncontrollable bouts of GAS (which happened anyway to be fair and resulted in me buying the green jazz on Jon's stock page), but now that I'm about to get my sticky, and some would say talentless, mits on my new 'un, I thought I'd share. Bassic (sorry!) spec is:

Shuker Bolt-on Custom 5 String
34" scale, 24 fret
5pc Maple, Flame maple, Wenge neck with carbon fibre, two way truss, modern C profile
Ziricote fretboard
Ultalite or Resolite tuners
White Ash body
Flamed, spalted maple drop top
High gloss finish
Delano Hybrid+J pickups
Shuker Mk3 3band EQ
Individual bridges
Black hardware

I'm pencilled in to pick it up a week on Friday, after a typical wait, but I knew it would take time. I did see it part complete when I picked the green jazz up and it's gonna be a smasher! I've resisted asking Jon for pics (until last might) for the same reason as above.

The main feature really is the hybrid pickup which I thought long and hard about ordering, but Jon and a couple of other BC'ers persuaded me. Had a mail from Jon last night and he commented that the bass looked really smart cos "it's a massive pickup". Hope I can live up to it...

Pics will be posted as soon as I've put it down long enough to photograph it.

P[/quote]

Very nice mate, have you gone for the tried and tested classic Shuker shape, or have you gone for a new funky Horn or Uberhorn?...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='901127' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:18 PM']Very nice mate, have you gone for the tried and tested classic Shuker shape, or have you gone for a new funky Horn or Uberhorn?...

Eude[/quote]

Hey Eude, yeah it's the classic Series 2 shape - the same as my EMG loaded Walnut/cooked maple one. I wanted them mechanically as similar as possible for the obvious reasons.... although i have to say I think it's got a slightly 'slimmer' carve to both the neck and body. Should be a joy to play, and I'm hoping massive pickup = massive tone :) I do love the Uberhorn shape though and if I'd got the dough i'd have the Blackwood fretless off him to complete my collection!

P

[quote name='Pete1967' post='901168' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:56 PM']Hey Eude, yeah it's the classic Series 2 shape - the same as my EMG loaded Walnut/cooked maple one. I wanted them mechanically as similar as possible for the obvious reasons.... although i have to say I think it's got a slightly 'slimmer' carve to both the neck and body. Should be a joy to play, and I'm hoping massive pickup = massive tone :rolleyes: I do love the Uberhorn shape though and if I'd got the dough i'd have the Blackwood fretless off him to complete my collection!

P[/quote]

That Uberhorn fretless is a peach!
Good choice on the shape, probably best keep thing familiar I reckon.
Sounds like it'll be a lovely bass though mate, congrats for when it arrives :)

Eude

[quote name='simon1964' post='902390' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:37 PM']Very nice! Glad you went for the Delanos - they are fantastic. Really versatile tone with anything from a 'ray, to a P, to a Jazz.[/quote]
Yeah - thanks for the advice Simon. Since ordering these I've actually bought a Delano loaded Jazz off Jon, and they're great. I know I've made the right decision here - just can't wait to plug her in!

P

• 4 weeks later...

.....and finished

I mis-quoted Jon I've discovered - he actually said it's 'an enormous pickup'! I can report it has an enormous sound too and the most amazing versatility.

The neck defies physics.

I know it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but it does it for me.

[attachment=57105:Shuk1.JPG]
[attachment=57106:Shuk2.JPG]
[attachment=57107:Shuk3.JPG]
[attachment=57108:Shuk4.JPG]

[quote name='Pete1967' post='931390' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:25 PM']it's 'an enormous pickup'![/quote]
[quote name='wotnwhy' post='932664' date='Aug 22 2010, 12:16 PM']i have the biggest pickup... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Oh dear... pickup envy, it's quite tragic. :)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='932664' date='Aug 22 2010, 12:16 PM']Another beautifull Shuker is born! congrats!

Oh.. though by the way.. i have the biggest pickup... :)[/quote]

Show 'em Tom! - I was lucky enough to visit JOn just before it was installed - and gotta say - that was a hefty piece of kit going in your bass. Custom made by EB wasn't it?

[quote name='Pete1967' post='931390' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:25 PM'].....and finished

I mis-quoted Jon I've discovered - he actually said it's 'an enormous pickup'! I can report it has an enormous sound too and the most amazing versatility.

The neck defies physics.

I know it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but it does it for me.

[attachment=57105:Shuk1.JPG]
[attachment=57106:Shuk2.JPG]
[attachment=57107:Shuk3.JPG]
[attachment=57108:Shuk4.JPG][/quote]

That's really beautiful! - I'm gonna have to ask you all to stop posting Shuker threads though... it's not helping my new rested G.A.S... I really can't have another one..... :wub:

• 2 weeks later...