Why become a member? ×

Versatility or Stylistic?

Doddy

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='898278' date='Jul 18 2010, 06:51 PM']Don't know why I even rose to argue over this, one persons view in particular on the whole subject is so
misinformed. I'm happy to just resolve that a sensible discussion on the whole session player topic is impossible.

Back to the original point, I'm happy sitting on a groove or a tune and not overplaying. That's where I'm happy.[/quote]

Conan The Thread Destroyer strikes again.

PS. Not you, BTW :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='896754' date='Jul 16 2010, 06:28 PM']Do they have to be mutually exclusive?

I have my own style which I think it recognisable across a few of my originals bands, but the bits of session work I've done have required certain styles (even when writing original tunes) which I've played without any problems.[/quote]

+1.

However if I had to nail my colours to the mast I prefer the stylists over the session types. The Nathan East types do nothing for me to be honest, much as I respect them. I like listening to guys who have more of an individual voice, so I personally would always prefer a Geddy or a Claypool. However I tend to be a bit schizophrenic regarding my own playing; sometimes I simply want to be more versatile than I am, sometimes I simply want to have more of an original voice. As above, the aim is really to be able to do both when required, and I completely agree they needn't be mutually exclusive.

EDIT: BTW, came right to this from the first page. Looks like I need to read the other pages!

EDIT2: I think we all know my thoughts on Mr. Miller. I wont bother reiterating. FWIW, he'd sound terrible in Motorhead. :)

Edited by 4000

When it comes down to what sort of players you prefer are sonics not a big part? I happily admit to hating Marcus's sound (yes, I went there, sorry :) ) which in my experience he seems to use on pretty much everything he does. If I don't like somebody's sound it's very difficult for me to get into their playing; not that I can't see beyond it, but it's about as enjoyable as trying to eat something you know might be nutritious but which tastes awful. On the other hand I love Chris Squire's sound, Stu Zender's sound, Stanley Clarke's sound etc etc, and it make them far easier for me to listen to and enjoy.

[quote name='4000' post='898585' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:09 AM']EDIT2: I think we all know my thoughts on Mr. Miller. I wont bother reiterating. FWIW, he'd sound terrible in Motorhead. :)[/quote]

You're just assuming he'd sound terrible in Motorhead based on his career made up of playing slap on '80s soul records. I think he would sound perfectly at home in Motorhead because that's his job - to be versatile - and I am shocked and appalled that anyone would suggest otherwise.

Praise Him.

I'm bailing now before I get into trouble again. :)

Seriously though, in addition to sonics, how much does the type of music played have an influence on this? It's something of a sweeping generalisation, but it seems like a lot of session guys tend to play what I would describe as more mainstream music, which may engage a certain type of listener more than others.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='898572' date='Jul 19 2010, 07:23 AM']Conan The Thread Destroyer strikes again.

PS. Not you, BTW :)[/quote]

I figured! There's always got to be one wind up merchant on a forum, just glad I know who it is now. It's a shame because the premise of this thread was really quite enjoyable otherwise.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='898846' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:47 PM']I figured! There's always got to be one wind up merchant on a forum, just glad I know who it is now.[/quote]

Heaven forbid anyone should ever disagree with you. What a bastard.

Incidentally you appear to have been here for 18 months. Well done on working out who is the "wind-up merchant" in such a short time.

Right,moving away from what seems to be the weekly Marcus Miller argument,and back on topic slightly........
It's been mentioned by a couple of people that when they play,they always sound like themselves. Now,obviously everyone has their own way of playing and sounding,but would you rather be in a situation where you can do your 'thing' with your own sound and let your voice be heard,or are you happy to adapt what you do into other situations?

[quote name='Doddy' post='899114' date='Jul 19 2010, 04:34 PM']Right,moving away from what seems to be the weekly Marcus Miller argument,and back on topic slightly........
It's been mentioned by a couple of people that when they play,they always sound like themselves. Now,obviously everyone has their own way of playing and sounding,but would you rather be in a situation where you can do your 'thing' with your own sound and let your voice be heard,or are you happy to adapt what you do into other situations?[/quote]
Not only happy to adapt, but also keen to have a go at new things.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='899117' date='Jul 19 2010, 04:39 PM']Not only happy to adapt, but also keen to have a go at new things.[/quote]

+1. Not too sure how good at that I am, but I know that a fellow Basschater/Finnbasser was very surprised seeing me play in a different style at Moffat after seeing me in my band so I guess I'm not as one-dimensional as I often think/fear.

It's a great thread actually; I've been thinking about these issues a lot recently trying to pin down why I like what I like (always a good thing to do IMO). I think I've come to the conclusion that many of the bands I like have very stylistically strong individuals basically all competing with each other; Yes would be a perfect example, as would RTF or the Who. I like the tension that creates. I remember going to see a big band gig once where the horn section were all trying to outdo each other and I loved it (I was brought up on jazz); my classically-trained then-girlfriend thought it was a shambles, which amused me no end. So I'm not sure I tend to favour the supportive role of the rhythm section so much as the challenging one. Of course there are those who favour the supportive, serving-the-song thing and that's fine. I love John McVie and Rutger Gunnarsson, but they're lucky in having such exceptional songs (IMO) to work with. In general, I tend to prefer musicians who are really going for it, as tiresome as that may be to some.

I play what I like and I like what I play. I do like a varied amount of music, so I guess that makes me versatile. I do have my own recognisable licks and technique though, so I suppose I'm also stylistic.

I'm confused.

Edited by Wil

I don't see where the 'going through the motions' thing comes from.

I absolutely love playing different styles of music, whether it's rock, jazz or country I always give 100% to the music.
The key word there is 'MUSIC', I play music I don't care about the genre.

I think that too many people have a 'hang-up' about genres and styles, they like to 'pigeon hole' stuff. What everyone ultimately plays is is music.

Have a look here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSbe8IxH9Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSbe8IxH9Y...feature=related[/url]

Will Lee never just goes through the motions, he makes everything groove.

Here's Janek Gwizdala, who's a jazz cat playing with V V Brown, he's definitely giving 100%

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlWDzFbf6c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlWDzFbf6c[/url]

Well, it's obvious for me, I believe..

If music 'asks' for a certain sound, I'll do my best to fit the situation, it's not an issue for me.

And, there comes the big challenge - to [i]manage [/i]to fit the music, right.. (in terms of sound/approach/playing style)

[quote name='4000' post='898585' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:09 AM']+1.

However if I had to nail my colours to the mast I prefer the stylists over the session types. The Nathan East types do nothing for me to be honest, much as I respect them. I like listening to guys who have more of an individual voice, so I personally would always prefer a Geddy or a Claypool. However I tend to be a bit schizophrenic regarding my own playing; sometimes I simply want to be more versatile than I am, sometimes I simply want to have more of an original voice. As above, the aim is really to be able to do both when required, and I completely agree they needn't be mutually exclusive.

EDIT: BTW, came right to this from the first page. Looks like I need to read the other pages!

EDIT2: I think we all know my thoughts on Mr. Miller. I wont bother reiterating. FWIW, he'd sound terrible in Motorhead. :)[/quote]

I think at the end of the day...I fall into this when all is said and done.
I CAN play different styles to a degree if need be, but haven't had time to grow in them enough to call myself 100% versatile and TBH I just play what the music calls as in, I'm not gonna force it.
I found my niche, found my sound and my play style...which has WAY too many influences from the world of music and instruments to describe...but then that in itself is a feat in my eyes, even if it makes me a Stylist I'm just playing music.

I too would rather listen to Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan or, taking away from Bass, a Devin Townsend or a Steve Vai etc etc, because I love what they do...They have a certain magic that my heart, soul and mind adores and by what I believe in music I shall listen to them.
Sometimes the versatile players can be confusing..."oh hes doing a...uhm...no now hes doing...Ah...Boh...Baaaaah! WAIT no GO BACK I liked that...omg nope he's changing again..."...It confuses me, my passion for it wanes and you just lost a listener.

I believe we need both types for music to be what it is tho, the Ying and the Yang, light and dark, good and evil (Not that either is disposed in any side of that spectrum). I don't think a "Stylist" (Beginning to hate that name btw, talk about a label) or a versatile player is neither better or worse than each other, I just know what I wanna listen to and I do it, so if that's the case and I HAVE to choose, then I listen to Stylists more than...Yeah thats enough for now.

It's just music, too much Human Mechanics here and it's taking away from it.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='andyjingram' post='899608' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:55 PM']Well, too much versatility in one song, yes that's taking it too far! I think picking up on more styles should teach you what to do to make it that style, and what not to do to keep it in that style. Unless you're mixing or contrasting things for some artistic reason, it is just as much about what you leave out as what you put in. Discipline is a big part of versatility- knowing how to do everything, and doing it all at once shows a lack of sensitivity to the situation.[/quote]

Indeed, but I think my typing has led confusion...and rightly so.
What I'm ultimately getting at is, whereas I could like one of these artists on one album, I wouldn't like em on another because it doesn't speak to me, whereas, again using a name say...Devin Townsend (LOVE his compositions!), I know that 9/10 if he's makin' an album I'm gonna love it. (I can't stand his album "Physicist"!)
Still, you could go the other way, but to me, this is music.

But hell, Variety is the spice of life, it's why we have such musicians and it's why we have such genres.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Doddy' post='898242' date='Jul 18 2010, 05:03 PM']You've mentioned the hat thing a couple of times in the past,so I can only assume that it must really bother you,as once again it is totally irrelevant to the discussion.[/quote]

f***ing funny though.