Why become a member? ×

Ashdown LB212

franzbassist

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Mine says 100w! They were a limited run to go in hand with the Little Bastard head. Mine was purchased with one of the 100 UK handmade LB heads (I was not allowed to buy the head without the cab) so whether they only made these for the UK heads I'm not sure, but mine says 'handmade in uk' on the rear as did the head, and they certainly seem to have run out quickly.

Yeah, it says 100w on the back of mine, but the drivers are 200w each as you can see by the LB112. No idea why, but Ashdown confirm they are 400w and it did say that for a time on their website, but the product is now in their 'Legacy' section with no info.

I'm very happy with mine. I no longer have the head, but use it with a Bass Terror and it sounds great. Very punchy, warm and clear.

Very light thanks to the neo-whatsit drivers, looks fantastic, and is the perfect height to put stuff on at a gig, like your amp head (or pint)!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1279812' date='Jun 23 2011, 04:53 PM']Mine says 100w! They were a limited run to go in hand with the Little Bastard head. Mine was purchased with one of the 100 UK handmade LB heads (I was not allowed to buy the head without the cab) so whether they only made these for the UK heads I'm not sure, but mine says 'handmade in uk' on the rear as did the head, and they certainly seem to have run out quickly.

Yeah, it says 100w on the back of mine, but the drivers are 200w each as you can see by the LB112. No idea why, but Ashdown confirm they are 400w and it did say that for a time on their website, but the product is now in their 'Legacy' section with no info.

I'm very happy with mine. I no longer have the head, but use it with a Bass Terror and it sounds great. Very punchy, warm and clear.

Very light thanks to the neo-whatsit drivers, looks fantastic, and is the perfect height to put stuff on at a gig, like your amp head (or pint)![/quote]

I just picked up a UK handmade LB30 head and LB212 cab today too, and my cab also says 100 watts at 4 ohms. I will be very happy if it is actually rated higher!

Those rating don't mean anything anyway. I have a horrible suspicion some numpty confused things with series/parallel and 'ohms' when doing the wattage for a pair of 200w speakers, but maybe (and I think this is less likely, but would be nice) they rated it by nominal excursion limited power handling.

Well, I used my LB30 head and LB212 cab at rehearsal for the first time; one word: Wow.

With my P-Retro'd Squier Matt Freeman in active mode into the "High" input, I only had the volume at 9 o'clock and it sounded huge. Seriously happy with the amp and cab. I had been tempted to get two of the VS212, 8 ohm versions of esentially the same cab, but I'm not sure I'll need to move much more air than this.

And all from a 30 watt amp.

Incredible...

• 5 weeks later...

Just emailed Ashdown to see if there are any differences between the LB-212 and VS-212 apart from impedance, they confirmed they are the same The Little Bastard with a pair of VS-212 would make for a monster 4x12 vertical stack alright!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1321380' date='Jul 30 2011, 03:30 PM']Just emailed Ashdown to see if there are any differences between the LB-212 and VS-212 apart from impedance, they confirmed they are the same The Little Bastard with a pair of VS-212 would make for a monster 4x12 vertical stack alright![/quote]

That would be wicked. I ended up with two Ashdown mini neos instead (4x8 and 1x15) for a bigger setup with greater power handling, but the LB sounds wicked through them too!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1319716654' post='1417607']
can any owners confirm that the LB212 does actually weigh only 14kg?
[/quote]

I have one and that sounds about right. I'm not sure the VS212, which replaced the LB212, has the same neo drivers in it though (plus it's 8 ohms), so if you can find an LB212 get one!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1319716849' post='1417612']

I have one and that sounds about right. I'm not sure the VS212, which replaced the LB212, has the same neo drivers in it though (plus it's 8 ohms), so if you can find an LB212 get one!
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I may well order one on spec and give it a shot. No laughing please :) , but I'm looking for a single cab just like this I can use with my Ampeg Micro VR.

I see the VS212 specs quote something like 30kg weight-wise, which surprised me a bit, so yes you could well be right about it not having the same neos inside (plus like you say, it is 8 ohms).

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1319732103' post='1417927']
I see a few places still have them in stock. I bet one of these would work well with my 100 watt Carlsbro valve head, especially as I'm not a fan of tweeters. I've been looking for something lighter than my old peavey 1x15 (about 27kg), as I live up stairs. I wonder if that 14kg weight is correct?
[/quote]

The webistes may say they have them in stock, but I doubt very much that they actually do!

14kg is around 30lb yes? If so, that feels about right for what my cab weighs.